Jackie Gleason's 1968 Lincoln limo

Fantastic car caught in a time warp you just don't find cars this original with all documentation. Let's not forget our North Korean friends who have at least two. I bought my long-gone 69 in New York original owner was Fugasi Travel Service in NYC. They are great cars AND they have room in the front seat with a division window. Does anybody want to buy a winter retreat in Florida for 32k? Then I can hit the button on this

This car was at the Volo Auto Museum in Illinois something like 20 years ago. Looks like for once they actually had a car that was what they claimed!

There was a write up in the Lincoln Club magazine recently about the Jackie Gleason limo and this car does NOT look like it. I'll look for the article to verify and Ive sent this eBay link to a Lincoln Club member who has ALL of the L-P records to verify. Stay tuned for more info!

Gleason was so popular that the network did anything to keep him happy. He was the highest paid tv star at the time. He didn't want to do the show from NY so they built him a studio in Fla. He had his own train to ferry him from NY- Miami etc ...along with all the booze he could drink ( and it was a lot).
I remember my folks watching the show and the choreographed water ballet by the swimming babes in the opening credits......" How sweet it is" !

Preliminary report from my Lincoln Club expert is this is a different car than was written up in the LCOC Magazine. THAT one was converted by a different coachbuilder, and its believed that Gleason did NOT keep that car long. My guy says the build sheet on this one looks correct. The wheel covers are INCORRECT though. His Lehmann-Peterson records are still boxed up after a recent move but he will dig them out as soon as he is able to verify the VIN. As it looks right now, this is probably the real thing.

George Costanza should have asked for documentation like this when he bought "John" Voight's car ;)

But as far as buying a car for its celebrity factor goes, I wish I had bought Tammy Wynette's limo a couple years ago when it was on craigslist!

Question for Carey

Carey- is he still in Sarasota?
Next: Is or was he in the car museum that was bought by the University of South Florida and New College?

The museum was allowed to stay until a certain date, which has passed. When last I knew it was going to get legally messy.

Just curious!
Thanks
Kev

Carey- is he still in Sarasota?
Next: Is or was he in the car museum that was bought by the University of South Florida and New College?

The museum was allowed to stay until a certain date, which has passed. When last I knew it was going to get legally messy.

Just curious!
Thanks
Kev

Kevin,
I am not up on "Sarasota Happenings" since Andy Shaw passed away in Oct 12. Martin and I traded alot of stuff back and forth in the 90's and kept in touch till 5 or 6 years ago. I knew he moved his dealership to the old Bellms Museum and the 2 coexisted for years. I did not know he sold to New College but the land logistics make sense. Martin had an eye for the unusual cars peddling numerous procars over the years. My last visit with him was right before I moved to NC in 1997 when he was still at US41 and 22nd street. He had recently bought a Tucker and....ahhh memories :p.

The Limousine Cary has posted is the one I remember from the Gaslight Village Cavalcade of Cars in Lake George NY that was on display as being Jackie's car. It has also been posted on many web sites . This blue one is the first I have ever seen. I welcome any input. But it is still a cool light blue limo.

I was going to go to the auction that the car was originally sold at. I am kicking myself, that seller made a substantial profit on that deal. There was also a Lincoln that belonged to Elvis that was really nice.

Back