The Eureka (1964 and under) Photo Thread

1956 folder...

1956EurekaLandau_page1_0.jpg

1956EurekaLandauspecs_page1_0.jpg

1956EurekaLimousine_page1_0.jpg

1956EurekaLimousinespecs_page1_0.jpg

1956EurekaAmbulance_page1_0.jpg

1956EurekaAmbulancespecs_page1_0.jpg

Brendan, the original photos were Polaroids that were given to me ages ago. I scanned them just to post. I have no clue where the car is.

Martyn, where did you get such a cool pic of the wooden body?

Thanks Tom, if it was still around I would go have a look at it.

Here's a few for all you '59 fans out there...

1959 Eureka Ambulance

1959EurekaAmbulancefp_page1_0-1.jpg

1959 Eureka Rearway Landau

1959EurekaRearwayLandaufp_page1_0.jpg

1959 Eureka Rearway Landau interior

1959EurekaRearwayLandauintfp_page1_0-1.jpg

Last edited:
1959 Eureka Limousine Combination with reversible floor panels

1959EurekaCombinationreversiblefloorintfp_page1_0.jpg

1959 Eureka Limousine Combination with reversible rollers and air conditioning

1959EurekaCombinationreversiblerollersintfp_page1_0.jpg

I noticed that they all have a Washington cot bars in them. even the 59. 5 years after the merger. you suppose they brought up a large supply of them when washington quit. to be still using they 5 years after the merger would be a long time out. the styling was a high standard for the rest of the industry to follow. that window etching on the ambulance flows so you eyes Rome over the whole car just looking at it .

Ed,

Washington Mortuary Supply Co. was still an independent company at the time. Ferno was formed in 1955 and after several buyout attempts, they succeeded in acquiring Washington in 1961 and that's when the names were merged.

Walt Cassens once told me that most of the photographs showing the rear interiors were completed bodies, not yet mounted on the Cadillac chassis. If you look closely toward the front of the interior body pictures, this appears to be true.

1959 Cadillac Eureka Royale Limousine Combination

I will volunteer some pictures of my dear old friend, my first coach. My brother holding a for sale sign $350.00 Vin#59Z079531 In 1973 during the gas wars, you could not give away a V-8 as society was trending towards small cars with gas saving engines. In 1973 I remember having a hard time finding parts for a 1959 because parts stores purged the shelves of the old Cadillac parts, as there were not many left on the road any longer. Same with the Cadillac dealerships. Good way to make the parts man laugh when you asked him for 1959 parts. Ok, I remember gas went I believe from somewhere in the .30 cent range to .75 cent range and it caused folks to panic and get rid of the gas guzzlers. Any one recollect more accurately? This coach was perfect condition inside, with two tone blue leather on the seats, leatherette covered medical cabinets in the dark blue. Plain floor and no cot bar. Roller shades pulled up from the lower part of the window frame. They were like new and they were like a doulble sided finish leatherette with a snap at the top. Two clear spot lights with mirrors on the backsides of both. The first remote adjustable mirrors for me.

Attachments

• back of 59.jpg
    back of 59.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 929
  • !959 Cadillac Eureka (open back door).jpg
    !959 Cadillac Eureka (open back door).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 929
Rear window line.

I hate to be so partial, but, my old 1959 is to date the only body style of 1959 of all, that I truly adore. I am very picky when it comes to cars in general, I try to own vehicles that have some unique, positive, selling points about them. I recall before I sold it that I wanted to find a place to park it for awhile until the economy rebounded. The clincher was the entire lower portion of the coach was toast. There was not much rocker panel left anywhere on the coach all around, then the frame had large holes in it. These Royale Limousine style Eureka's I believe are the rarest of all and that is my opinion. The only ones I have seen were two basket cases, and one ex-shriners clubbed coach with the regular modifications to suit there needs. I second your opinion on the window lines. My wish is that the rear door would of had the approprite matching retangular design to pick up the straight side of the corner window. None of the 1959 rear compartment photos show the configuration that the inside of this on sported. Leatherette covered cabinets, with handles like kitchen cupboards.

Michael, you certainly got the 1973 gasoline price range pretty close, although I don't think it quite got to 75 cents in '73, while I still lived in Boston. Darned close, though! And I sure remember the gas lines. But I had a '67 VW Beetle at the time and it only held 10 gallons of gas.

The people who had the foresight to buy out dealer parts stocks are now reaping their rewards. When I attend the Auburn Automobile Auction, formerly Kruse's, there are some dealers with amazing stock that obviously comes from mass buyouts. I just love rummaging through that stuff.

Regarding the kitchen cabinet handles on your combination medicine cabinet, it's no secret that Eureka, and most likely other coacbuilders too, often bought parts from local stores or supply houses, to keep the money local and be able to see the actual item before it arrived on some delivery truck. I know that to be the case with the interior sconces that Eureka used. But of course, try to find an identical one now!

1960 Eureka Limousine Combination interior

1960EurekaCombinationintfp_page1_0.jpg

1960 Eureka Reaway Landau with extension roller and custom all black Naugahyde interior and polished black floor with chrome moldings dividing the floor into 4 sections. Note the lack of draperies or sunburst pattern on the landau panels.. A very clean and dark interior!

1960EurekaLandauRearwayintfp_page1_0.jpg

1960 Eureka 3-Way Limousine with "Full Vision" styling

1960EurekaLimousine3-Wayfp_page1_0.jpg

And as a side note, the Lutheran Church in Sterling IL as it appears today. This and other local landmarks were used frequently as backdrops while photographing fresh-off-the-line Eureka coaches!

IMG_1048.jpg

Back