The Eureka (1964 and under) Photo Thread

Before & After 1963 Eureka Combination

Some of these pictures were taken in March 1992 when I drove the coach to Rock Falls IL to visit Walt Cassens and Larri Dirks. Funeral Director Joe McDonald subsequently bought the car from me and restored it to its original beautiful steel blue color.

Attachments

• 63_Eur_combination_003.jpg
    63_Eur_combination_003.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 684
  • 63_Eur_combination_004.jpg
    63_Eur_combination_004.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 684
  • 63_Eur_combination_005.jpg
    63_Eur_combination_005.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 683
  • 63_Eur_combination_006.jpg
    63_Eur_combination_006.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 679
  • 63_Eureka_Combination.jpg
    63_Eureka_Combination.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 669
  • 63_Eureka_Combination_2.jpg
    63_Eureka_Combination_2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 669
'62 Eureka Hightop Ambulance

'62 Eureka hightop. Rhode Island, I believe

Attachments

• 62_Eur_hightop_001.jpg
    62_Eur_hightop_001.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 668
  • 62_Eur_hightop_002.jpg
    62_Eur_hightop_002.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 671
'62 Eureka landau Manual 3-Way

Attachments

• 62_Eur_landau_005.jpg
    62_Eur_landau_005.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 666
  • 62_Eur_landau_006.jpg
    62_Eur_landau_006.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 664
  • 62_Eur_landau_007.jpg
    62_Eur_landau_007.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 657
  • 62_Eur_landau_008.jpg
    62_Eur_landau_008.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 667
1964 Eureka landau, near Chatham ONT, after Chatham PCS International, 1993

Attachments

• 64_Eur_landau_001.jpg
    64_Eur_landau_001.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 630
One day I will own a Eureka !

Do you notice how sweet the '60 landau bars are on Eureka's ?
Such a fine curving S shaped bar with the unique pointed ends ! :specool:

Look how much they changed to straight sharp angles on the '64 models. :4_11_9:

I would say that the '60 Eureka landau bars are the finest looking on any coach of all time. :thumb:

Darren

we are just learning on there construction techniques. they use a frame work in there steel bodied like they did in there wood coaches. with a lot of splash filler panels in between rather then the whole car body being one structure. as bad of shape as this 58 appears the doors still open and close on it with ease. one could remove the splash panels with out compromising the body in anyway. if I were to see a different car look like this after removing the interior trim I would walk away fast. but you can see just in front of the rusted out wheel opining that the skeleton that forms the door opening and mounts the body on the frame is intact. this door is rear hinged on this. the wheel tube back could be removed in about 10 minutes in fact after cleaning it up it all most ready to fall out now. it is not even attach to the outer skin but was sealed with caulk agents it. rather then the body assembled as a unit this car has the body hanging as individual panels on a heavy skeleton. just like a wood coatch would be constructed. with the door frame being part of the skeleton not part of the body.

Attachments

• IMG_4263a.jpg
    IMG_4263a.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 599
we are just learning on there construction techniques. they use a frame work in there steel bodied like they did in there wood coaches. with a lot of splash filler panels in between rather then the whole car body being one structure. as bad of shape as this 58 appears the doors still open and close on it with ease. one could remove the splash panels with out compromising the body in anyway. if I were to see a different car look like this after removing the interior trim I would walk away fast. but you can see just in front of the rusted out wheel opining that the skeleton that forms the door opening and mounts the body on the frame is intact. this door is rear hinged on this. the wheel tube back could be removed in about 10 minutes in fact after cleaning it up it all most ready to fall out now. it is not even attach to the outer skin but was sealed with caulk agents it. rather then the body assembled as a unit this car has the body hanging as individual panels on a heavy skeleton. just like a wood coatch would be constructed. with the door frame being part of the skeleton not part of the body.

After tearing the cars apart, its amazing how much different the building techniques vary from one coachbuilder to another. I cant remember the exact year offhand without looking it up but 58 is one of the first few years Eureka used steel in the construction, they were the last ones to quit using wood frames.

I believe that the 54 year was the last of there wooden bodies they keep wood about 20 years longer then the rest of the field.

Eureka finally made the change to all-steel construction in 1957, but they didn't make a big deal about advertising that fact right away. You're right about them being the last coachbuilder to use wood framework in their bodies, so the transition to steel was a quiet one for them. Always a company steeped in tradition and high quality, Eureka was somewhat reluctant to make major changes for the sake of modernity as they were not willing to sacrifice quality. This ultimately led to their decision to close their doors in 1964.

I will share my Eureka literature and factory photo collection in this thread as time permits!

Eureka Factory Closing

(G'day Martyn!)

The information I got about the Eureka factory closing after 1964 seems to be some blend of the following tidbits, listed in no particular order:

1) The Eureka factory building itself was old and in decay.
2) Cadillac had a major redesign between the 1964-1965 model years, except limousine of course, requiring lots and lots of retooling.
3) The Teamsters Union was attempting to unionize the plant.
4) There was some internal struggling among major stockholding partners.

No matter how you look at it, a factory closing is a sad thing. It happened in Loudonville, Piqua, Bellefontaine, on Kibby St. in Lima, Freeport IL, as well as Rock Falls and numerous other places. I tend to be rather nostalgic about it though, loving to visit the actual locations of those old plants, daydreaming about the cars that once rolled out on to the very street on which I would stand. *sigh* I even have a small piece of concrete of the floor of the original Eureka plant. Yes I know it's crazy.

Attachments

• 50_Eur_Landau_001.jpg
    50_Eur_Landau_001.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 572
1950 Eureka Landau, downtown Hartford CT

1950 Eureka Landau, downtown Hartford CT. Originally did service in Maine, taken in trade by Parks Superior Sales, sold to Ravizza Blasting for $500 (early '60's dollars, though, at least 4 weeks pay). This is the very car that got me going on hearses, and Eurekas in particular. Sadly, it's now a soup can.

Attachments

• 50_Eur_Landau_002.jpg
    50_Eur_Landau_002.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 842
OK I have to back up. my talk of the 58 being all steel it is only half right. this body is wood framed from the bottom of the glass up. the door frames are a question as of yet but I know the window frames are wood as are the top bows that the headliner is nailed to. we get some more apart and we can tell how they did the door frames.

now I was always told that the fire that burned the plant is the reason they stopped production. with costs going up owners getting older the idea of reinvesting in new construction was not worth it. send everyone home and thanks them for there work.

Attachments

• IMG_4488a.jpg
    IMG_4488a.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 806
Although they were touted as "all-steel" from 1957 - '64, you will still find plenty of wood in a Eureka coach all the way through '64, primarily used as a surface to attach the interior trim to.. Here's an all wood frame '51 for comparison -

IMG_8572.jpg

Ed, you'll find 16 gauge steel channel behind most of the wood in the '58.

'62 Eureka Hightop Ambulance

Brendan, the original photos were Polaroids that were given to me ages ago. I scanned them just to post. I have no clue where the car is.

Martyn, where did you get such a cool pic of the wooden body?

Tom, you'll find the same pic in Tom McPherson's Eureka book.

And here's the '60 brochure with an artist's rendering of the steel structure...

1960Eurekaspecs001_page1_0.jpg

1960Eurekaspecs002_page1_0.jpg

And the rest of the brochure...

11960Eurekafrontcover.jpg

21960EurekaLandau.jpg

31960EurekaLimousine.jpg

41960EurekaAmbulance.jpg

A few '58 factory photos...

1958 Eureka Limousine Combination with removable casket rack and etched side windows, suggesting this coach was used primarily as an ambulance.

1958EurekaCombinationintfp_page1_0.jpg

1958 Eureka Rearway Limousine with optional extension roller.

1958EurekaRearwayintfp_page1_0.jpg

1958 Eureka Landau 3-Way. Note the early style casket table hardware and the landau panel draperies..

1958Eureka3-Wayearlyintfp_page1_0.jpg

1958 Eureka Landau 3-Way with redesigned interior. Note the "sunburst" landau panels (used from '58 - '61) and the restyled casket table hardware. Eureka used this style table '58 through '64 and they can also be found in a few '65 Superior 3-Way coaches, acquired by Superior after the closure of the Eureka plant in 1964.

1958Eureka3-Waylateintfp_page1_0.jpg

1958 Eureka Flower Car.

This was Eureka's 18 inch or "low deck" flower car. Note the factory customizing on this car... No "Cadillac" script on the tail-fins or "Eureka" script on the front fenders and the lack of the usual vertical faux vent chrome trim on the rear side doors... Makes for a very clean looking flower car!

1958EurekaFlowerCar_page1_0.jpg

Back