name this paint color

Can someone provide the actual name of this blue? Depth was so stunning in person that it is leading the list of possibilities for my Crown. Thanks in advance.

dsc05556f.jpg

dsc05607m.jpg

Isn't that the color that General Motors always called model #29 blue? The car appears to be a 71 or 72 so they would still have been painting with lacquer. An interesting note, none of the big car manufacturers ever kept a color exact. They might keep the same number but the colors were always different, either lighter or darker. I started using the "navy blue" color for our cars in 1981 and when we ordered a new one, Jack Trusty would always put down #29 blue for the color.

Incredible how fast a question gets answered here on the PCS site.

Rich, Mike, very impressive work... and super fast !

Gotta love the brothers (and sisters) of the PCS family !

Attila, glad you got the info required/requested so quick.
We are talking minutes here !!!

Everyone's happy for sure,
Darren

Agreed Darren. Seeing a color online is one thing - and a paint chip in person another. Viewing 1:1 is an entirely different experience. Now I'm bent on seeing a '60 Cadillac York Blue 1:1 to see how the two compare. ;)

My old Eureka had that same grab your attention color, bordering on a cobalt color at times. Possibly a shade variant of #29 definitely in the range. You don't see this color often on pro vehicles and it is beautiful.

Attachments

• 1959 Cadillac Eureka Royale Combo (Backend).jpg
    1959 Cadillac Eureka Royale Combo (Backend).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 276
One of the problems with color names is that the color changes hues, but the name remains the same. I have been trying to find the original Bolero Red that was used on my 1969, but haven't been able to track it down by name or number. Another issue is that the color tints used 20 / 30 / 40 years ago are no longer manufactured, and the replacement color mixing formulas are not accurate to the original color. I just had a quart of lacquer mixed for my 1962 Chevy, and even though the color was scanned into the computer, and the computer came up with a formula, it didn't match when first mixed. They kept adding other tints to the paint until they got the color correct. Even spraying techniques, temperature, air pressure, humidity, etc. can change the color. With a gallon of lacquer paint costing $600 today, you don't want to be redoing it if the color comes out not to be to your liking. If you are doing a complete car, then best to have them mix a pint, and spray out a panel to see if it is what you want. If not, then tell the paint mixer the direction that you want it tinted toward, and hope for the best before paying for a whole gallon.

Blue

Looks like the same color I put on the Olds.

Attachments

• DSC07469.jpg
    DSC07469.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC07472.jpg
    DSC07472.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 253
I just bought 10 liters of Ebony Black Lacquer from Stan Uher, the guy who painted John and Patti's 1939 S/S.

I must have gotten a sweet deal at 300.00 if the current price is 600.00 a gallon.

It is not available to Canadians any longer. I was glad he had some for sale !

Canada has a water based paint only law in place for paint shops.

Darren

the #29 is what you need to remember. Gm would change the name and keep the same color. it was also assigned a different name in the different lines for the same color. but all of them would have the same paint code. in the case of this blue it's #29. they would even skip a year or two in offering a color. bring it back under a new name but it would have the same paint code. it's importent to know if it'sa gm code or one of thepaint manufactures code. they would be a diferent number.

same color different name. but a little different condition. his is a good bar to try to get to. I really liked it same as the green of tom's 60. there both stately colors but not black but appear that in different light.

Back