B&M S8 Current Draw

Siren help

i have four 184 beacon rays, four tunnel lights and a Q siren to add. Plus stock 125 gm alternator. is that big enough of an alternator? My cables for the Q are same size as battery cables, are they too small? and should the cable from the battery to the amp relay to the Q have bigger cbles running to it as well? I'm thinking seriously of dumping the Q for a Band M so I dont burn something up. I dont have to Q hooked up yet. but when I run all the beacons and lights the 125 alt gets real warm and the belt seems to squeel when I flip on the back two beacon rays when i put the ambulance in drive and take off

Yep! that looks like mine. Mine is a 145 amp, not a 125 AMP. My mistake. Guess I should go #4 cable all the way around, even from alternator to system? I don't think its the correct size. Didn't know until today that it does make a difference

Heres a question...How big does the cable comming from the alternator to the batteries have to be a #2 or #4 ? does this have to be done at a auto electric shop? or can you buy the cable someplace?

Heres a question...How big does the cable comming from the alternator to the batteries have to be a #2 or #4 ? does this have to be done at a auto electric shop? or can you buy the cable someplace?

The cable going from my alternator to the battery isolator is a relatively small 6 gauge. It was supplied by the company that made the alternator and included as part of the kit.

that's about the only size i have seen on alternator. remember it's a charge wire not a draw wire. the heavy amps need on start up are what require the big wire. the alternator goes to the regulator and nothing coming out of it is any bigger either.

Back