Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 AM
PCS Life Member

Thanked 2,293 Times in 947 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Fun day at a funeral home.

Brief history: I worked for 20 years at Chapman Funeral Home and in 2000 they sold the funeral home because of wanting to retire and having no one to carry on in the family gave it up. I never went to work for the new guy. Chapman had been in business for five generations. Five years before they sold I started trying to buy their 70mm caddy combo I had driving since first day I worked there and actually drove daily doing convalescent ambulance work up until 1992 and some for funerals after that. It took me five more years after new guy bought the business to get the car as I called them every few months asking for it and one day told owner I had a limo he needed as he had expressed a desire to have one for the funeral home and he said to bring it by and within one hour of that phone call I was driving home in old blue. As most of you know I still have and will continue to have old blue. A while later he sold the limo because he didn't use much and actually he called me when he needed a limo because I had a limo business so he had access to those. Recently I turned the limo business over to my drivers after a 15 yr. run and now the funeral home was again without good way to get a limo when he needed one. My little wheels starting turning again. There was stuff in the attic some dating back to early 1900's like church trucks, equipment used for home viewing as at one time all were done, embalming equipment, registration stands for visitations, old ambulance equipment from their days of doing that, old two way radios from when they would call the cars from the office when out on runs, even the old Chapman sign that was out in the yard in front of the building at one time. Something else was about 20 baby or child caskets dating about 1950 still in shipping crates with labels where they came in by train. ALso about twenty suits and dresses that were never sold and new owner had just tossed them in the PILE of stuff. You can see where this is going. I offered to trade another six door limo to him for "What is in the Attic". I had been working on this for a few weeks and this morning it came together and I spent most of the day going up and down the stairs to retrieve my stash. I can hardly walk this evening but I feel it was worth it. I got everything I planned to except the caskets which I will go back for and deliver his car this week. IT was about 100 degrees up there and with climbing the steps about 50 times I thought I would have a heat stroke. Soooo, another interesting day was had and I look forward to opening up all the cases to see just what I did get as it would have taken too long to do while loading but just the stuff I did see was really neat. Now some of you may find this story weird but I know some who would have loved to have been there and that would have been great cause I could have used the help!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Danny Ryder For This Useful Post:
Bruce Oliphant (05-05-2010), Denny Shira (05-05-2010), Doug House (05-05-2010), Doug Kelley (05-05-2010), Jeremy D. Ledford (05-05-2010), John Royark JR (05-05-2010), Mike McDonald (05-05-2010)
Old 05-05-2010, 12:41 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,385 Times in 610 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up been there

Danny,
I for one would have loved to have been there.
Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,983 Times in 660 Posts

Sounds pretty cool we will be looking forward to seeing some pictures of the new found treasure.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Ryder View Post
Brief history: I worked for 20 years at Chapman Funeral Home and in 2000 they sold the funeral home because of wanting to retire and having no one to carry on in the family gave it up. I never went to work for the new guy. Chapman had been in business for five generations. Five years before they sold I started trying to buy their 70mm caddy combo I had driving since first day I worked there and actually drove daily doing convalescent ambulance work up until 1992 and some for funerals after that. It took me five more years after new guy bought the business to get the car as I called them every few months asking for it and one day told owner I had a limo he needed as he had expressed a desire to have one for the funeral home and he said to bring it by and within one hour of that phone call I was driving home in old blue. As most of you know I still have and will continue to have old blue. A while later he sold the limo because he didn't use much and actually he called me when he needed a limo because I had a limo business so he had access to those. Recently I turned the limo business over to my drivers after a 15 yr. run and now the funeral home was again without good way to get a limo when he needed one. My little wheels starting turning again. There was stuff in the attic some dating back to early 1900's like church trucks, equipment used for home viewing as at one time all were done, embalming equipment, registration stands for visitations, old ambulance equipment from their days of doing that, old two way radios from when they would call the cars from the office when out on runs, even the old Chapman sign that was out in the yard in front of the building at one time. Something else was about 20 baby or child caskets dating about 1950 still in shipping crates with labels where they came in by train. ALso about twenty suits and dresses that were never sold and new owner had just tossed them in the PILE of stuff. You can see where this is going. I offered to trade another six door limo to him for "What is in the Attic". I had been working on this for a few weeks and this morning it came together and I spent most of the day going up and down the stairs to retrieve my stash. I can hardly walk this evening but I feel it was worth it. I got everything I planned to except the caskets which I will go back for and deliver his car this week. IT was about 100 degrees up there and with climbing the steps about 50 times I thought I would have a heat stroke. Soooo, another interesting day was had and I look forward to opening up all the cases to see just what I did get as it would have taken too long to do while loading but just the stuff I did see was really neat. Now some of you may find this story weird but I know some who would have loved to have been there and that would have been great cause I could have used the help!
all you had to do was call i had 1 run today.
give me a heads up on what day your going back if its this slow all week maybe i can get out that way and get old yeller and help ya out
Old 05-05-2010, 12:54 AM
PCS Life Member

Thanked 2,293 Times in 947 Posts
Groans: 1

Good idea Dave, come and get old yeller and on your way back we can have a casket gathering party with lots of surprises!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Website Member

Thanked 6,791 Times in 2,248 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Hey Danny, I cannot wait to see what you're selling. The sign has me excited for my garage. I will be picking up a complete Holiday Inn script sign next month for my garage. A friend of mine runs the Holiday Inn in Daytona and they are getting new signs next month. Terri about had a stroke when I told her that...
Old 05-05-2010, 12:33 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts

I know I would have loved to been there!!
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album
Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 13,668 Times in 5,767 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

sorry I most likely would not have been much help to you. I would have been digging threw all the boxes and making more of a mess then helping load. kind of like a kid turned loose in a candy store. love going threw new old stuff. makes you wounder just why and how some of it came into the place and why it was never used. bought not need tucked away and forgotten about. mom and pop businesses do some strange stuff. big chain would have tossed it all out.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Website Member

Your obvious excitement about your purchase and the thrill of finding out exactly what you have reminds me of the show American Pickers on the History Channel. Those two guys go through attics and old barns to find things just like what you have acquired and are just as excited.

We are all anxiously awaiting to see pictures and find out what treasures you may have.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 7,662 Times in 2,069 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

I love the story. I've gotten the word out around here, and every now or then, some firehouse will call and say they are cleaning out the attic or storage shed, would I like to come by and get the ambulance stuff.

One time, the chief of a fire department called and told me he had an old ambulance cot in the firehouse storage shed (an old truck trailer), would I like it? I said I'd come by next week. He said I'd better come before Friday, so I went that Wednesday. Got the cot, some cot bars, and a nice '40's E&J resuscitator. Some other guys got fire hose nozzles and fire truck parts.

That Friday, he was ousted as fire chief. The truck trailer was hauled off for scrap a couple weeks later. A few months later, he died.

So ya never know. Get it while you can!