Alternative Alternator????

did I get confused or were both of us talking about the small replacement 100 amp alternator. not one of the old style boat anchor GM ones. that one you would need to see how GM mounted it of course they had there own foundry so making a different mount was easy for them

man what your running that needs higher then 100.

A "Q" plus anything else (headlights, beacons, cigarette lighter) will draw over 100 amps. Not necessarily continuously, but it doesn't hurt to have a little headroom. Every time you push that Q button you're instantaneously drawing almost 130 amps, maybe more if its not in tip-top shape. Once it gets going it drops off from there.

I'd stop looking for a higher amp alternator and start looking for a Super-Chief...

my experience

Those on ebay I feel would be great for a hearse with one battery. I've never had one that small (I don't even know the technical facts) on an ambulance- especially one with two batteries.

A "Q" plus anything else (headlights, beacons, cigarette lighter) will draw over 100 amps. Not necessarily continuously, but it doesn't hurt to have a little headroom. Every time you push that Q button you're instantaneously drawing almost 130 amps, maybe more if its not in tip-top shape. Once it gets going it drops off from there.

I'd stop looking for a higher amp alternator and start looking for a Super-Chief...

that draw only comes out of your battery. all your alternator does is recharge the battery not run the equipment. a battery from 800 to 1000 amps will do it fine and a 100 amp alternator will keep up. 100 amps is all they had on the ambulances when they were new. bigger cables or double up the smaller ones and check your connections. the start up only last a few seconds. if your operating it correctly and keep it spinning as you should it only starts up once. your lights are not drawing all that much. as stated you can't keep up use two batteries in parallel. if 1600 to 2000 amps won't do you lay off the siren

Back