The PCS and youth involvement in the old car hobby

As by now I'm sure you've all figured out, I love ideological discussions, so here you go :D

A post Patrick made today made me want to ask this. Like him, I'm one of the 30-somethings in this group who unfortunately see my generation as one of the last generations to really feel a passion and interest for the automobile. Most of the people I've met younger than I, are typical more interested in making their "four-wheeled appliances" go faster, but don't particularly care about or know much about the car itself (or other cars). I've yet to meet any Mitsubishi EVO owner who gets excited by Mitsubishi industry news or knows Mitsubishi is just a few years from marking their centennial. Anyway, I digress...

Back on topic, it’s not a surprise or new revelation that the younger generations' interest and involvement in the old car hobby is disappearing. What do you think is behind it, but more importantly what can we do as a club and individuals to help change that?

If you’ve read some of my other (long) posts, you know I obviously put tons of thought into this all the time. I have a future, lifetime goal to help carry on and encourage the interest, but what I/we can do today is still a little grey. I let kids sit in my cars, I talk to people all the time about them, and I have even invited my neighborhood kids to come help me tinker (although none ever do). So what else can we do? Can the PCS sponsor youth oriented events? Do we have money to do that, or can we donate as individuals towards that? Can we find project cars to donate to high school auto mechanic programs and offer a resource for education and support through or club?

I see one of the biggest issues to overcome as the PCS, and a group trying to get people interested, is that a lot of us drive hearses. That's a hard sell, and I don't really have any good ideas on that yet... But, a lot of us have other non-hearse collector cars, and a lot of us are good at coming up with ideas. So let’s hear them!

On a related note, and to the opposite experience Patrick's had, my participation at car shows is typically well received by the elder generations. While some people do look at me with an odd glare, most are excited to meet and talk to me. At the national annual meets with my dad's club (where the average age of the members is probably in the high 60's), every year a few people come up and actually thank him and my mother for bringing me :)

Adam

You wrote:
I see one of the biggest issues to overcome as the PCS, and a group trying to get people interested, is that a lot of us drive hearses.

I have to agree with this and most people don't see things the way this group does when it comes to hearses. Not everyone's on the same page as wanting to even see a hearse, let alone own one.

I guess a better question would be...
What are the other old car clubs doing to keep the spirit alive in their clubs when it comes to getting kids involved ?

This is a thing that may run in the family. My dad had old cars... I got the bug from him kinda situation.

I know a bunch of kids who customize their rides today with bolt on items, wheels & tires, accessories like seat covers from parts stores, etc. Most are pickup trucks or Honda's. Not many kids I know with any 70's or under cars.
None of my friends kids are old enough to drive either so I don't know the future of the kids in my circle of friends either.

On another note related...

I think this may be a good place to mention a long time PCS member who is in his 20's and is a HEARSE FANATIC ! Just to prove there is some youth in our club now that maybe some members don't know about.

He LIVES and BREATHES hearses everyday. Has a few newer and early 50s hearses.
He buys them, does almost all the work himself and drives them all the time.

If it needs a carb rebuilt, brake lines installed, major parts replaced or just a tune-up, this guy does it all ! A true car nut and someone the club should want to have around if they are looking to get and keep the younger folks involved in the ProCar hobby.

I would say he does more restoration and mechanical work on his own cars than 50% of the PCS membership does on their own cars.

He knows models, years, coach builders, special options like the best of the group ! Very impressive to say the least !

He collects vintage funeral and medical supplies as well as hearses.

I have no idea why he hasn't already got the John Keel Award !!! because this guy deserves it big time ! Maybe the PCS should look a little harder when it comes to the YOUTHFUL members we actually have in the club.

He works hard, saves his money and attends PCS meets and even drives across the country for them.

I'm talking about JEREMY MOBERG of Moorhead MN !

If we had a few more young people with the passion, dedication and knowledge of ProCars as Jeremy has, the club would be a lot better off !

Hope to see him with the John Keel Award in Ohio in 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
He deserves it !!!!!!!!!!

Darren

Ya know I think that I'm the youngest here at the PCS and i take pride and cant tell you how much I enjoy the work that went into my coach... Am I the youngest in the group??

Adam,

Great topic. speaking as someone who is in the slightly younger generation at 25, I don't really have any friends or know anyone around my age or younger who has the appreciation and passion for antique cars and there history like i do. Sure I have a lot of friends around my age that are car guys, but there more in to custom cars, hot rods, and muscle cars. Don't get me wrong, I love custom cars, hot rods, and muscle cars just as much as they do, and have owned a few hot rods and custom cars myself. But at a car show or cruise in, a fully restored Packard, Cadillac, Ford Model T, or of course a Pro-Car is going to grab my attention before a pro-street Mustang, or low-rider truck will. My friends don't understand my passion for Professional Cars, and antique cars, and probably never will. They just think I'm full of useless knowledge. When kids now days see a nice restored antique car, the first thing they think about is dropping it, chopping it, and so forth. They just don't see the beauty in the originality and craftsmanship like we do, and don't understand there are only so many of them left in the world, and when there gone, there gone.

When I go to a car show or cruise in with my dad and take one of my cars, people always walk up to my dad and ask him questions because they assume it belongs to him. The older guys are always amazed at my knowledge of, and passion for antique cars and there history. I grew up going to car shows and cruise ins, and i would say a lot of the things I learned, and what fueled my passion, were the guys that would take the time to open up there hoods and doors, show you things, and tell you all about there cars. That and listening to the older guys just standing around talking about cars. I was always the kind of kid that would take all of that stuff in.

I guess the best thing we can do is continue displaying our cars, and when you see a kid taking a interest in it, take the time and talk to them, open up the doors and show them and tell them things about the car, and teach them all we can, and hope they take it all in and appreciate it the way we did when we were kids.

Josh

Mr Borkat's observation about the decline in interest in the old car hobby in younger generations is spot on, as they say. For this discussion I will lump in the PCS with the old car hobby, with the PCS having even more handicaps than the general hobby.

Reasons:
1. The current generation ( I have 2 sons who are around 30 years old) have been brought up to believe the automobile is the problem, not the solution. BAD BAD CAR, just go away and the world will be a better place.
Hard to overcome that and talk someone into collecting these things. We have a whole generation of kids who think domestic manufacturers are lousy and the Japanese/Germans/Koreans are the better deal. Not much collectability there...

2. When I got involved in the hobby(1970) the cars we could afford to "collect" were simple,easy to work on, cheap, and parts were widely available. You collect cars that you grew up with. They were usually about 20 years old, not old enough for collector status, but not common either. If I go after a 20 year old car what can I buy that isn't computer and emission laden to the point I can't work on it, or get parts for it. So you have to go after older than that, and up goes the price, of everything.

3. I had my own house, space, garage etc to practice the hobby by the time I was 22. How many of this generation are still living at home with no discressionary income to devote to this relatively expensive endevor?

4. Restoring a car to original specs is getting more and more out of reach of anyone in the old car hobby. That is why hot rods and modified cars are so popular. Computerized OEM parts inventories have left a legacy of unavailability, not like my Studebaker dealer who had parts on the shelf for cars 30+ years old when they closed.

In short, there are many other activities to attract young folks. They might drop by a cruise night and think the things are cool, some of them will become automotive enthusiasts, but they will likely fool with the sound system and exhaust and interior, and use the car for daily transportation.

Adam

You wrote:
I see one of the biggest issues to overcome as the PCS, and a group trying to get people interested, is that a lot of us drive hearses.

I have to agree with this and most people don't see things the way this group does when it comes to hearses. Not everyone's on the same page as wanting to even see a hearse, let alone own one.

I guess a better question would be...
What are the other old car clubs doing to keep the spirit alive in their clubs when it comes to getting kids involved ?

This is a thing that may run in the family. My dad had old cars... I got the bug from him kinda situation.

I know a bunch of kids who customize their rides today with bolt on items, wheels & tires, accessories like seat covers from parts stores, etc. Most are pickup trucks or Honda's. Not many kids I know with any 70's or under cars.
None of my friends kids are old enough to drive either so I don't know the future of the kids in my circle of friends either.

On another note related...

I think this may be a good place to mention a long time PCS member who is in his 20's and is a HEARSE FANATIC ! Just to prove there is some youth in our club now that maybe some members don't know about.

He LIVES and BREATHES hearses everyday. Has a few newer and early 50s hearses.
He buys them, does almost all the work himself and drives them all the time.

If it needs a carb rebuilt, brake lines installed, major parts replaced or just a tune-up, this guy does it all ! A true car nut and someone the club should want to have around if they are looking to get and keep the younger folks involved in the ProCar hobby.

I would say he does more restoration and mechanical work on his own cars than 50% of the PCS membership does on their own cars.

He knows models, years, coach builders, special options like the best of the group ! Very impressive to say the least !

He collects vintage funeral and medical supplies as well as hearses.

I have no idea why he hasn't already got the John Keel Award !!! because this guy deserves it big time ! Maybe the PCS should look a little harder when it comes to the YOUTHFUL members we actually have in the club.

He works hard, saves his money and attends PCS meets and even drives across the country for them.

I'm talking about JEREMY MOBERG of Moorhead MN !

If we had a few more young people with the passion, dedication and knowledge of ProCars as Jeremy has, the club would be a lot better off !

Hope to see him with the John Keel Award in Ohio in 2011 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
He deserves it !!!!!!!!!!

Darren

Well said! I knew who you were talking about way before you said his name. Me and Jeremy are in contact often, and we are prolly the only two here that own only pro cars and drive them at all times. I dont do all the work on my cars like Jeremy does though, he has more enthusiasm than anyone else I can think of. I agree he should get a shot at the John Keel award.

Mr Borkat's observation about the decline in interest in the old car hobby in younger generations is spot on, as they say. For this discussion I will lump in the PCS with the old car hobby, with the PCS having even more handicaps than the general hobby.

Reasons:
1. The current generation ( I have 2 sons who are around 30 years old) have been brought up to believe the automobile is the problem, not the solution. BAD BAD CAR, just go away and the world will be a better place.
Hard to overcome that and talk someone into collecting these things. We have a whole generation of kids who think domestic manufacturers are lousy and the Japanese/Germans/Koreans are the better deal. Not much collectability there...

2. When I got involved in the hobby(1970) the cars we could afford to "collect" were simple,easy to work on, cheap, and parts were widely available. You collect cars that you grew up with. They were usually about 20 years old, not old enough for collector status, but not common either. If I go after a 20 year old car what can I buy that isn't computer and emission laden to the point I can't work on it, or get parts for it. So you have to go after older than that, and up goes the price, of everything.

3. I had my own house, space, garage etc to practice the hobby by the time I was 22. How many of this generation are still living at home with no discressionary income to devote to this relatively expensive endevor?

4. Restoring a car to original specs is getting more and more out of reach of anyone in the old car hobby. That is why hot rods and modified cars are so popular. Computerized OEM parts inventories have left a legacy of unavailability, not like my Studebaker dealer who had parts on the shelf for cars 30+ years old when they closed.

In short, there are many other activities to attract young folks. They might drop by a cruise night and think the things are cool, some of them will become automotive enthusiasts, but they will likely fool with the sound system and exhaust and interior, and use the car for daily transportation.

Great post, you really hit it on the head. Your first point is perfect, no need to say more. Your second point about having cars about 20 years old is a good one. For example, I love the older coaches but I also love the 80s ones, more than most people here, because being 37 I grew up with the 80s pro cars and thats what I fell in love with first. Your last point is with all the computer crap, it is getting so no one can even work on their car themselves. When my 49 dosent start, its either out of gas or the points are out. When my 91 MM Lincoln didnt run I had to send it to the shop and spend over $1,000 to replace various sensore until we found the correct one. His computer said this was bad and that was bad. Come to find out all it was was a cracked vacuum line on the rear of the engine, making all other sensors read wrong. Who wants to collect something like that?

Back