issue 149 of The Professional Car

Pat check your letter carrier if he looks happier than normal he/she got it.I am sure that's where mine is,but as Brady said be patient it will arrive,:D

That location and coach at the bottom of page 52 looks familiar. ;) Great Issue :thewave:

Attachments

• DSC04924 - Copy.jpg
    DSC04924 - Copy.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Not in Mason City for many years

Although I am a big fan of Mason City, having spent the summer of 1969 at the Reisch Auction College in Mason City, I must report that for the last few years the printing, packing, and mailing has been done in Jefferson City, Missouri.

Received my copy today & while I have not finished reading it, I am very impressed by what I have read. I belong to another national marque club and comparing their publication with the PCS one, well theres no comparison. The quality of the writing in the PCS publication is top notch; the other club's primary writer is junior high school creative writing by comparison. Gregg Merksamer gets the same publication that Im referring to; he no doubt knows what I mean. Congrats to Walt, Tom McP, Brady & everyone else involved with the publication.

Just so nobody feels left out, I am usually one of the last to receive my copy So, I am guessing that they don't go out in alphabetical order, or by your member number, because if they did, it seems that I would get it sooner, having been a member for twenty years. Last time, it didn't come at all, so I had to contact the authorities to get a copy. So, I surely don't know and I am not complaining, because The Professional Car is always worth the wait.

They are delivered to the post office in packs that are sorted into geographical areas. Then the post office has them trucked to regional distribution centers, and the packs are then broken down into zip code sections, and are sent to the local post office. The local post office then sorts them to the different carrier routes, and then they are delivered to your home. The one thing that most people don't realize is that it is a magazine rate mailing, and there is no "rush" on the part of any of the post office system to get it delivered by a certain date. I remember when TV Guide would print a date on the cover that you were supposed to receive the Guide, and the post office knew that if you didn't get it by that day, people would be calling and complaining.

Last issue i thought was the best yet until now. Read it three times alredy great job to the staff. Im now waiting for the next issue to outdo this one. Opened a can of worms as everyone will want more pages from now on. More !!!!!!

Got mine on the West Coast yesterday.

As others have said in different words... just when it seems it can't possibly get any better..... it does!! THANKS to all of you that contribute the articles, pictures, the hard work and long hours I know it takes to put it all together each time for the benefit of the rest of us that aren't as talented. MM

I agree with you Bill ! Probably the last one on this continent to receive it and I always read your comments on the board, it's like reading a spoiler on a new film hehe.

Just received mine yesterday and I am probably as close to Jefferson City, MO, where they are mailed from, as anyone in the PCS.?? Oh well, it was definitely worth the wait!!

I got mine a couple days ago - my mailing problems seem to have been resolved.

It's too danged long. How am I supposed to read it all? It'll take me 5 days of going to the bathroom just to read the dang thing. Sheesh, what are you trying to do, dehydrate me? I can't spend my whole life on the can!

:confused2::hide::p

Seriously, great job all! Keep it up.

I got mine a couple days ago - my mailing problems seem to have been resolved.

It's too danged long. How am I supposed to read it all? It'll take me 5 days of going to the bathroom just to read the dang thing. Sheesh, what are you trying to do, dehydrate me? I can't spend my whole life on the can!

:confused2::hide::p

Seriously, great job all! Keep it up.

Steve, just eat lunch and supper at Taco Bell. You'll spend the next 24 hours in the bathroom. Take the magazine and a large bottle of water with you. By the time you're done, you will have the magazine read and you won't be dehydrated if you drink the water. Problem solved.

I agree, great job on the magazine.

My work here is done folks.

I read mine from cover to cover, and this is the most enjoyable issue of any magazine I have ever read! It doesn't hurt that the 1971 - 1973 Cadillacs are my absolute favorites, and Superior was my favorite coachbuilder.

But the writing was superb, and the subject matter was covered so thoroughly and comprehensively. And, the color photos are just stunning...most of which I have never seen before. The factory photographs of many 1971 - 1972 Superiors in various stages of production at the Superior plant were so good, and so fascinating to look at!

One big takeaway that I never realized before is that the 1971 Cadillac ushered in the "longer, wider, and lower" Cadillac which is evidenced by the wide space between the dual headlights. It's also interesting how in addition to so thoroughly covering the 1971-1972 Superiors, Tom also compared the differences between Superior, and its two rivals M-M and S&S. I love how he explains why the fiberglass roofcaps were used (to lower the vehicle's weight, lower the center of gravity, and improve handling plus eliminating the possibility of rust problems in the fiberglass areas), explaining the problems the 1971 workers' strike at GM affected production and overall sales figures, and also explained how the 1971 ushered in the look of softly rounded corners.

And finally, as Ed pointed out earlier in this thread, it's fascinating to see how the nose of the chassis seemed to be pre painted by GM (in various colors which appear to have had nothing to do with what color the coach will eventually be). One thing I don't get is why do they pre paint the body, but then oftentimes having to sand, apply primer, and then sometimes completely repaint the entire coach once it's completely assembled? Wouldn't it make more sense to paint the entire coach after the body drop is completed but before the hardware is installed so the entire coach is painted at once? I understand that they would need to do some touch up and repair work once everything is done, but it seems like in many cases they had a pre painted chassis nose from GM, they would paint the body before it was dropped on the chassis, and then they would have to repaint the entire coach all over again once assembly was completed?

Why did GM even bother to do any painting at all, why didn't they just have them all primered and that's it because they knew the coachbuilders would repaint the entire thing? Or is it necessary to still paint the chassis because in shipping, and then storage in the coachbuilder chassis yard for who knew how long they might start to rust? But if that's the case, why didn't they just paint them all the same color instead of various different colors?

Such a great issue that really got me to thinking and wondering about how these things were done. But it was so cool looking at all these amazing color photos of these mouth watering brand new Superior coaches being built. Now I'm curious if they had the same new car smell that regular new cars have when brand new!

Abe

Back