1942 Cadillac hearse

Unfortunately, it's not a 1942. The 1942 Cadillacs had a different grille and parking light location. This is a 1947-1948 Superior-Cadillac. Would be nice restored.

The dash is a '47 - I would think the factory radio was semi rare for a hearse - my '47 is radio delete. Does anyone know why the different parking lights? This one has the large square ones, and my '47 Miller has a metal plate with a smaller round light with chrome surround.

Attachments

• millerlightdetail.jpg
    millerlightdetail.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 143
Jacob - The larger lamps seen on this professional car also contain the optional Cadillac fog lights. When these were not ordered, this space was occupied by small, round parking light assemblies like those on your car. You're right, most professional cars of this vintage did not have a radio - which was extra cost so..this is fairly unusual.

Unfortunately, it's not a 1942. The 1942 Cadillacs had a different grille and parking light location. This is a 1947-1948 Superior-Cadillac.

Additionally, hood badge is a quick prewar/postwar giveaway. Here's a side by side Superior front end comparison, postwar left<--->prewar right.

13924074545_0d6bb88d00_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the photographic proof of the visual differences, Atti. The vehicle on the left appears to be a 1946 model. Note the slight difference in the grille cross-hatch pattern, the Cadillac emblem at the front of the hood and note also that the 1942 Cadillac had chrome louvers mounted on the side of the hood. The 1942 Cadillacs were also available with optional fog lights which were then located in the squares at the end of the grille below the headlamps. The 1946 Cadillacs had the parking lights incorporated into the grille beside the headlamps and provided a place below the headlamps for optional fog lights. The 1947 and 1948 model front ends were as discussed and shown above in the previous posts.

By the way, the car on the left in Atti's photograph also appears to be a Superior - a 1946 Superior-Cadillac. The one on the right may very well be a Superior as well but, could be a 1942 Miller-Cadillac. It's hard to tell from the angle from which the photo was taken.

Both pink coaches are Superiors as mentioned. Look closely and see years written on passenger sides of windshields in front capture.

They had been last used to promote a SanAn club in the '80s, Bahama Beach. '46 was a straight ambulance, '42 an endloader. Six years ago I passed when looking at them for sale in Manor, TX as price was not reflective of inop condition(s) - $3500/ea firm. Neither was rusty nor missing significant parts but both needed everything. '46 was marginally better overall.

Seller subsequently told another $4k/ea and sold pair for $7500. They stayed together but I lost track of where they went.

13926813174_ea8c6f6a80_b.jpg

Back