1950 Cadillac Ambulance by Superior

I am not sure if we have seen this one here before...it looks familiar, but just in case...

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ptd/5355859596.html

1950 Cadillac Ambulance by Superior Coach Builders
331 V8 - condition unknown
3-speed manual transmission - condition unknown
Straight body - very little rust
Body Style 86/Series 75
Cadillac made a Series 75 Commercial Chassis in 1950 for Funeral Cars and Ambulances with a production of 2052 units
Selling as a mostly complete parts car on a Bill of Sale
$3500
For more info, call Doug at show contact info
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday-Friday
8:00 AM - Noon Saturday
Closed Sunday
Texts will not be answered

Doug's 4-Wheelers
1211 Hwy 163
Pella, Iowa 50214
dougs4-wheelers.com

Yes, this one has been for sale for some time now. I would love to see someone save this one! It is extremely complete.

Actually, the last owner and the current owner are business partners of sorts. The current owner is a very nice guy and always very willing to deal. I know that this one can be had for a very fair price. It is not quite as rough, body wise, as it looks in the photos. However, it would need a full restoration. Very tough to find an ambulance of this vintage as complete as this one is!

Actually, the last owner and the current owner are business partners of sorts. The current owner is a very nice guy and always very willing to deal. I know that this one can be had for a very fair price. It is not quite as rough, body wise, as it looks in the photos. However, it would need a full restoration. Very tough to find an ambulance of this vintage as complete as this one is!

If previous owner and current owner are business partners, why the grand price jump since its been moved half way across the state? When I looked at it in 2009 I found it to be very rough and full of putty in the rear quarters, so most likely LOTS of hidden rot. One of the etch windows is gone, and plex added. I just don't get how if it never sold for 20 years at a grand less, how its going to sell now. But if you want a project, that you would have.
Here are a couple previous discussions.
http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2307&highlight=1950+superior+Iowa
http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7946&highlight=1950+Superior

Price jump is easy to understand the seller (sellers) have been watching Ebay, Craigs List etc. Ambulances have been bringing big $$$ never mind they are restored BIG MONEY!!! So even though this one is in bad shape seller figgures it MUST be worth a lot more. Just because it is a VINTAGE ambulance its $$$$. The supply and demand theory except in this case not much demand.

If I were doing a restoration of a 1950 Superior Ambulance, this would go a long way toward helping...Even if there are areas that are very rough, there are many very useful and $$$ parts on this old coach. That said, one has to factor in the cost of shipping it to their location...I am guessing the seller would move off of the $3500 given the fact that it has been there so long. I am not doing a restoration of a 50 Superior Ambulance, so I will not be purchasing this one.
I had no idea that this vehicle was for sale for so long...I love this group! There is almost nothing about pro cars that you guys and girls do not know, or are not willing to research. I am grateful for all of the useful posts and the education that I have gained.

If previous owner and current owner are business partners, why the grand price jump since its been moved half way across the state? When I looked at it in 2009 I found it to be very rough and full of putty in the rear quarters, so most likely LOTS of hidden rot. One of the etch windows is gone, and plex added. I just don't get how if it never sold for 20 years at a grand less, how its going to sell now. But if you want a project, that you would have.
Here are a couple previous discussions.
http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2307&highlight=1950+superior+Iowa
http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7946&highlight=1950+Superior

John,
This car appears rough, but it is no where near as rough as the '56 Superior Super Rescuer that I sold a year or so ago for $5500 and was shipped to Germany. My buyer's transportation costs alone on the '56 came in at $3000 getting it from Iowa to Germany! Who is to say that the seller of this '50 Superior won't take $2500 today? I have looked at this '50 Superior 3 times now. If this '50 were a hearse or combo, I would agree with you and call it a parts car as the interest in old hearses will never be as great as the interest in old ambulances is. Finding an ambulance of this vintage as complete as this one is has become almost impossible. Now, I am like you in that I am not personally looking to take on any more major restoration projects...... but I am sure that someone out there has the talent and would be willing to take this one on. I am very confident that this one is worth $2500 to $3500 to someone who wants a real ambulance of this vintage and is able to do much of the work himself.

If the seller posted it on e-bay, with a reserve, they would reach a larger audience (of non paying bidders....lol). Even if the car did not sell during the ebay auction, it would gain exposure for an off ebay sale.

John,
This car appears rough, but it is no where near as rough as the '56 Superior Super Rescuer that I sold a year or so ago for $5500 and was shipped to Germany. My buyer's transportation costs alone on the '56 came in at $3000 getting it from Iowa to Germany! Who is to say that the seller of this '50 Superior won't take $2500 today? I have looked at this '50 Superior 3 times now. If this '50 were a hearse or combo, I would agree with you and call it a parts car as the interest in old hearses will never be as great as the interest in old ambulances is. Finding an ambulance of this vintage as complete as this one is has become almost impossible. Now, I am like you in that I am not personally looking to take on any more major restoration projects...... but I am sure that someone out there has the talent and would be willing to take this one on. I am very confident that this one is worth $2500 to $3500 to someone who wants a real ambulance of this vintage and is able to do much of the work himself.

Im not doubting that it may be worth that to some people but its definitely a huge project. I sold a junk ambulance for a lot of cash too.
My point was just that of the way thinking anymore that if it does not sell for X amount in the last 20 years, if we raise the price to xx and it will have a better chance of selling.
That and Im not a fan of dealing with cars that have not had a title for 30+ years, and not even knowing who legally owned it, especially hearing how and when the owner (when it was in Northern Iowa) acquired it, just puts red flags up for me. Im sure it would have a much better chance selling if it had a title. I was just giving my opinion as one prospective of the car, just like others here, but I love how opinions can be so one sided on this site. Its fine for people to say a low priced hearse is not worth scrap prices (the Collins Savoy comes to mind) but when someone says something about an ambulance its a complete different story. But Im just too picky too, after all I turned down the S&S you bought because it was way too rough for me.

Last edited:
But then again, Ive also had a running driving ambulance that I would not be scared to drive across country, and I couldn't even about give it away, so engine was yanked and car was crushed. So not all ambulances are wanted.

problem with a title have side lined a number of these cars. there is o doubt it can be put back together but that task is not for shallow pockets like mine either. the plating cost on this one is more then I attend to get in my 53 pon. as I said you got to want it.

Im not doubting that it may be worth that to some people but its definitely a huge project. I sold a junk ambulance for a lot of cash too.
My point was just that of the way thinking anymore that if it does not sell for X amount in the last 20 years, if we raise the price to xx and it will have a better chance of selling.
That and Im not a fan of dealing with cars that have not had a title for 30+ years, and not even knowing who legally owned it, especially hearing how and when the owner (when it was in Northern Iowa) acquired it, just puts red flags up for me. Im sure it would have a much better chance selling if it had a title. I was just giving my opinion as one prospective of the car, just like others here, but I love how opinions can be so one sided on this site. Its fine for people to say a low priced hearse is not worth scrap prices (the Collins Savoy comes to mind) but when someone says something about an ambulance its a complete different story. But Im just too picky too, after all I turned down the S&S you bought because it was way too rough for me.

John,
First off, we are all "picky" in differing respects. For instance, I would not, personally, own anything that Collins or McClain ever built, regardless of condition, because I feel that they were very poorly designed and constructed. I would much rather invest in a well designed coach from a reputable coachbuilder even though it may need some work. The individual that had this '50 Superior ambulance sitting in his pasture in North Central Iowa did a horrible job of marketing it and didn't get it sold. That doesn't mean that the car was not worth what he was asking for it. It may have even been worth a whole lot more than he was asking for it, even then. Many people also pass on an opportunity to buy a car due to it not having a title. Where there is a will, there is a way when it comes to getting a title for these old project cars. It does not have to be an expensive or difficult process. Yes, the lack of a title will keep this seller from selling this car to an overseas buyer as foreign buyers won't touch one without a title.

I have owned both hearses and ambulances and I am realistic enough to see that ambulances will always be worth more than hearses, assuming that we are comparing apples to apples as far as manufacturer and condition are concerned. A resourceful buyer could, however, buy this one, get a title, clean it out, throw a matched set of old wide white walls on it, and make a couple thousand dollars selling it to a foreign buyer with deep pockets quite easily!

Back