Miller Meteor Rear Bumper

I am having body work done on my 1972 M-M combination and the rear bumper is getting bad. My body man says it appears to be a fabricated item using a stock front bumper from another vehicle. Does anyone know what bumper that M-M used to make their bumpers. I have searched for a replacement but not having any luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is a commercial chassis part from Cadillac Motor Division of the General Motors Corporation. They are available used if you are willing to pay the asking price. If not, there are some bumper plating companies that will restore your old bumper by welding in new steel. In the end, before plating, you will have spent the equivalent of buying a good used bumper. Depending on how badly rusted your bumper is, it might not even be repairable. Search "bumper" in the for sale forum, and you will probably find some that were for sale in the past, that didn't sell.

Back in 1995 I was rear ended in my 1968 MM Cadillac.
I ended up buying a 1968 Superior Cadillac rear bumper and it fit
the same as my MM.

So the point of this post is to let you know that the bumper from another coach builder may also work.

Always measure and double check before you buy one.

Hope you find a nice replacement.

Darren

bumpers

I think the bumpers were from the chassis builder. Maybe not always from the year that the coach was built. I know on the 61s the rear bumper ends are the same on a M-M, Superior or whatever. They all seem to have the spacers in them to make the bumper wide enough to fit the commercial chassis whatevr the coach builder. This idea probably carried through into the later years.
It would be easier to modify a rear bumper for a specialty chassis rear bumper than using a front bumper for a rear I think.
Mike

The basic bumper was part of the commercial chassis package the GM delivered to the body builders. In some instances, such as for an ambulance, the body builder would modify the bumper, but it was rare. The basic difference between the bumper mid sections from 1965 - 1976 is the way that back up lights were installed. The only other change that I can think of is for one or two years, the brake/stop/backup lights were put into the bumper face bar, instead of at the outer ends.

dead on, on that one. the centers will fit 65 to 76. they are the same stamp. with the exceptions noted. that being said repair and re plat is your only hope of getting one. they all rotted out either on the lower lip or the low side of the outer brace.

Thank you.

Thank you to all who shared information. I found a possible half bumper but for the amount they are asking I think I will look into having mine repaired and replated. Thanks again for the help.

Back