Questions about roof signs

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
Greetings,

Two questions about roof signs:

(1) Was the rear roof sign on the Superiors molded in the rear part of the fiberglass roof the same as the front roof sign, or was it an add-on piece?

(2) Does anyone have any pictures of the set-up for the lighted front roof sign option? I am considering this for the 67 and I am wondering how it was originally designed.

Thanks,

Greetings,

Two questions about roof signs:

(1) Was the rear roof sign on the Superiors molded in the rear part of the fiberglass roof the same as the front roof sign, or was it an add-on piece?

(2) Does anyone have any pictures of the set-up for the lighted front roof sign option? I am considering this for the 67 and I am wondering how it was originally designed.

Thanks,

I had my front and side signs redone. I have multiple, step-by-step photos of it. I also have someone who will custom make the stainless steel inserts.

Jim

Attachments

• Mar 08 #24.jpg
    Mar 08 #24.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 529
  • Aug 08 #5.jpg
    Aug 08 #5.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 543
Missing Roof Sign Lighting?

Just pulled my front roof sign out of the '72 Pontiac Superior as I suspected a major roof leak and found goldfish and turtles...just kidding. Lot's of rust, drying green algae, and most likely the cause of the roof leak over the front seat and into the electrical panel.

Question: I have a cut out and labeled hole on the control panel for the roof sign, but no switch and do not see any electrical in the front roof sign compartment.

Is it possible that the lighting was optional on the Pontiacs? Has anyone added the lighting module such as these stainless, i.e. would these fit/are they standard?

Thanks in advance.

It may have been an option, however, back in the day, I had never seen a roof sign that wasn't illuminated that I can remember. Today you have lots of options for illumination from neon, incandescent bulbs, or even LED's for that matter. When the light is behind a plastic panel, I doubt that most people would know exactly what is illuminating the sign.

From what I have seen in both my 67 & 69, and in taking with folks from the PCS, it is my understanding that Superior would produce their switch plates with all of the options on them, but only add switches according to the specs for the perticular ambulance. The holes not used would have a plastic or metal "plug".

superior did a lot of that one fits all kind of thing. but the signs I have seen were all 12 volt fluorescent tubes. I would guess that was the way to get a large amount of light even. as bulbs would show hot spots.

I'm pretty sure Superior only used individual bulbs to light their signs, that's all I've ever seen. I've never seen a flourescent in a Superior (M-M did use them). And yes, there were "hot spots", or more commonly, dark spots where one bulb burned out. Apparently, the "hot spots" weren't really a concern. I don't know if they changed to flourescents with the '77-'79's.

I have seen a few ambulances with roof signs that were apparently never lit from the factory, but these seem to be the rarity. Most were lighted. It was more common, if someone didn't want a lighted sign, to simply have no sign at all.

I like the idea of the stainless insert in the signs.... And yes, if one chose to use LED's or somesuch to illuminate the signs today, they would look fine (but not be original ;) ).

I'll have to repair/treat the rust first, as well as seal the frame to prevent a re-occurance, but I do plan to install some lights as I like bling!

I am considering "SUPERIOR" for the name unless I go with our company color specific. We had the both with "ACADIAN" and "AMBULANCE" on the pictures I have seen. Wish I could figure a way to make the wording appear ONLY when the light was on to avoid any misrepresentation.

I'll have to repair/treat the rust first, as well as seal the frame to prevent a re-occurance, but I do plan to install some lights as I like bling!

I am considering "SUPERIOR" for the name unless I go with our company color specific. We had the both with "ACADIAN" and "AMBULANCE" on the pictures I have seen. Wish I could figure a way to make the wording appear ONLY when the light was on to avoid any misrepresentation.

The roof sign on my Criterion the lettering "LONG HILL" only lights up in red. Looks like the entire sign plate was painted with the letters in place then removed. On the Lifeliner the entire sign lights up but not the letters.

To seal the roof sign, I suggest a good quality roofing silicone that is available at lumber yards for professional roofers. This will stay pliable in all weather conditions, and has excellent sealing ability. I tend to stay away from products like this that are sold in the home improvement stores, since those products many times are high profit, and low quality.

...Wish I could figure a way to make the wording appear ONLY when the light was on to avoid any misrepresentation.
You can do that. Use white translucent plastic for the outer cover. You can put black vinyl letters, reversed, on the inside of the plastic. When the lighted sign is off, all you see is white, when it's on, you see the lettering through the plastic.

What's in a name....?

I've been pondering names to put on the illuminated signs on my Superior as well. Right now they just say "Ambulance"

The latest consideration is "Stilkikin". :D

To seal the roof sign, I suggest a good quality roofing silicone that is available at lumber yards for professional roofers. This will stay pliable in all weather conditions, and has excellent sealing ability. I tend to stay away from products like this that are sold in the home improvement stores, since those products many times are high profit, and low quality.

I was thinking more of a large, oval, homemade gasket so I could change out the light bulbs easier than removing caulk. Perhaps from a black rubber tire. The twelve screws should hold it watertight. What about that?

be honest with you I have never dealt with the sigh on a superior. I know I have seen them. but never got the change to take one apart. so I don't really know how they are put in. MM used a rubber gasket to put there's in place. I thought superior has a similar set up with a chrome locking strip. kid of like the 73-90 gm pickups did.. the other think I have found that will seal but still make things removable is silicone in a tube. it will stick to most any thing ,bridge a gap well and handles extremes in temp, vibration to. but once it is dry you can still remove things with out a big fight. little messy to play with but it works.

Back