to all Funeral Directors

I have a question for all Funeral Directors / owners

I'm thinking of applying to a Funeral home up here in Ontario for a Funeral Director Assisant. ( its more like a door greeter ) but I have no experience at all in the bussiness but would love to work in a home.

whats the best piece of advise you can give me to get notice by this owner ???

Thanks

Mike

From a businessman and employer, not a funeral home owner.. If you offer to work for a couple of times for free, they will realize that you are sincere about trying out the job. Who knows, it might not be something that you will like doing once you try it, and on the other hand, you might love it.

Good advice......also, accentuate any organizations, clubs and church you belong to. Sometimes owners, from purely a strategic standpoint, look to see what a potential employee brings to the table,, ie; you belong to a club or church that the owner/manager wants to "get in"....in our business, personal reference is king!

just found out my friend knows the owner..she went out with him in Highschool......God I hope she didn't dump him or anything like that ?????

You know what they say about having skeletons in the closet.. better to leave them there than to disturb them.. :my2cents:

outside of my paramedic career I have also over the years worked in several Ontario funeral homes,show up well groomed,shoes shone,as mentioned in a suit and tie best,talk softly and clearly and look directly at the person you are talking to,you are applying to a very noble profession,that deals with people at their worst time and your actions will reflect on the funeral home,

Not sure if it is a good or bad thing....

You could let him know you have your own hearse if he needs an additional one sometime.

I'd say... keep that to yourself for the time being.

Looking at it from the other side... he may not want you to be a representative/employee of his funeral home and you cruising around town in a old hearse. Yikes ! if that is the case.

I'm sure he isn't a PCS member. If he was, that would be fantastic ! and he would understand the whole "Why would you want to own/drive a hearse" thing !

Not everyone thinks like us hearse lovers do.

I always try to look at things from both sides when taking on something new.

All the best in your new venture Mike !

I hope it goes smoothly and you get in,
Darren

*Let the Funeral Director know that you understand you will be working "when everyone else is playing...", that is nights, weekends, holidays. Everyone sees us riding in the cars with suits on, few see us at 3am in the middle of nowhere trying to figure out how to get someone out of an old house that was never meant to handle most stretchers. Several "interested" people over the year lose their interest when they discover the hours and chores.
*Read Todd W. Van Beck's "Winning Ways - The Funeral Profession's Guide To Human Relations". Read it again.
*Let the Funeral Director know what motivates you to do this. Answers like, "I saw CSI: South Bridge...and thought this would be neat..." are sure to get you booted out the door. (I actually had that one from a young lady, with apologies to Paul for using his city of residence...)
*Appearance counts. For the most part conservative dress (white or light blue shirts only) until you know what they require. This is not the Sopranos, this is a funeral home.
(And for young people entering the business, don't say, "I hope to own my own funeral home one day...", you have to pay your dues. Slow down there big boy, nice goal, but leave that goal in your hip pocket and not for public broadcast. Overnight success takes about 15 years. )

Thank you guys for all your advise....somethings I never thought of.

its a long shot getting this job, but what the HEY !!

thanks again

will let everyone know when I know

Shadow day

I agree with everything posted so far; the place I worked had interested people do a shadow day. I think that is a very professional way of saying it. So ask if you can shadow someone for a day.
It is tremendously satisfying work - I just couldn't handle being up all night doing removals.
Good luck!

Great idea! We have shadow students from the High School every year, sometimes 12-15 of them. They will come in more than one day, more like a week or two. Usually in that amount of time, they will get a pretty good idea whether or not they think they will like the profession. We have had several through the years that went ahead and went to mortuary school and are now in the profession........

I did tell the owner in my cover letter that I was willing to do what some call a "working Interveiw" for free for a few days ...may that will hepl ??

who knows...I might not even get a call back ?

In case anyone was wondering.... I didn't get a call back ....it was along shot anyways.

but thanks to everyone who put their 2 cents in very much appreciated

Mike

Back