Paul's message on tires

We've all heard it for years from Paul about tires. Just because they look good and have lots of thread on them does not mean they are safe. Terri and I took the motorhome to Alabama to enjoy my grandson's birthday. Headed out early Friday morning getting to Jacksonville and then "BOOM" inside right rear tire blows. Ok, happened to be a place nearby so had them put the spare on. What's the worse that can happen so headed out again. Got to Lake City about 100 miles later and, "BOOM" the spare blows out. Limped to next exit and there happens to be a tire place. This time we purchased two new tires for the front, moved one to the inside rear and used one for a spare. Everything is great enjoyed the weekend. Headed home Monday morning getting about 100 miles down the road and "BOOM" left inside rear blows. Lucky again there just happens to be a tire place at the next exit. This time four new tires. So we ended up replacing all 6 tires on the trip. "DAMN" The tires looked new but turns out they were 10 years old. RV tires need changing every 5-6 years regardless of how they look.
So heed Paul's advice and be wary of old tires that still look new.

Attachments

• tire1.jpg
    tire1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 225
  • tire2.jpg
    tire2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 215
  • tire3.jpg
    tire3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 209
Yeah when I bought my 68, those tires were 13 years old. Changed those first thing. This reminds me I need to check my tire pressure again here soon

They aren't designed to self destruct, it has to do with the way that radial tires are designed. Radial tires flex in such a way that after they have aged, the rubber starts to separate from the carcass of the tire. This separation causes friction, which eventually leads to the tire blowing out. This doesn't happen with bias ply tires, and they seem to last forever. I remember driving my 1928 Buick with tires that the rubber was so hard, that if you locked the wheel up, it would have left a thick black rubber skid mark on the ground. I was never able to do that with that car, since it had mechanical brakes that relied on a cotton braking material that would clamp onto the brake drum. Terribly inefficient braking, and a panic stop at 25 MPH, was a terrifying experience.

They aren't designed to self destruct, it has to do with the way that radial tires are designed. Radial tires flex in such a way that after they have aged, the rubber starts to separate from the carcass of the tire. This separation causes friction, which eventually leads to the tire blowing out. This doesn't happen with bias ply tires, and they seem to last forever. I remember driving my 1928 Buick with tires that the rubber was so hard, that if you locked the wheel up, it would have left a thick black rubber skid mark on the ground. I was never able to do that with that car, since it had mechanical brakes that relied on a cotton braking material that would clamp onto the brake drum. Terribly inefficient braking, and a panic stop at 25 MPH, was a terrifying experience.

I'm was also informed that the amount of oil used to make tires has been reduced due to the higher cost of oil.

7 years appears to be the recommended replacement schedule on RV tires, regardless of appearance, mileage and tread. They also have a speed rating. How fast do you drive that thing?

I took delivery of a new toy last night, and at 8am this morning, I was up at the shop getting new tires for just this reason. They looked perfect, but the date code on them was from 2006.

Mine only get replaced with bias plys. My only question is if the know this is a problem and they continue to build tire that do this, just how much property damage or deaths have accrued due to there faulty products. Has any tire salesmanship told you that you can't run this tire more the 7 years from the date of manufacture?

Back