Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:10 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Arends View Post
I assure you that they wouldn't have found 15" rims on any Chrysler sedan that was purchased "off the lot of a dealer" in 1963.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
they were buying cars from locale dealers to convert. the few Caddies they did were ordered one piece at a time from a locale dealer as Pinter was not on GM approved list to sell incompleat cars to.

not sure if Jack or Tom could remember the circumstances around acquiring the base car. but it was most likely one off the lot. the heavy duty equipment could be ordered on any car at that time and around here at least it was not all that out of the norm to find it on a 4 door sedan. one of the strangest set ups I have seen was a 4 door 59 biscayne with a 348 tri power and a 3 speed stick.
This car was special ordered from the factory to be the starting point for the conversion by Pinner, as mentioned in Post #36. It would be completed at the factory and delivered straight to the Pinner plant. Like most Pinner ambulances in Dutchess County at least - the local Chrysler dealership was the sales agent. A 1968 news article related that Pinner ambulances were warrantied the same by Chrysler and the dealership like any other car they sold.

Paul: Ref: The "mud flap" quoted by Kurt. There is indeed something pictured hanging down by the rear bumper in the apparatus "group photo" I posted. It's not the rear step - or at least it doesn't appear to fold down in the factory pictured configuration. I can't say for sure what it is... I guess it could be a full-length mud flap? Out of curiosity - did they make such a thing for cars back then? Google seems to fail me. From the photo - if it were, I'm not sure it necessarily would need to run the length of the car. Does seem awful far back to be a useful mud flap...
Old 02-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Website Member

Thanked 2,086 Times in 852 Posts
Default Mud flaps

There was a company called " Jeffrey Allan" that manufactured VINYL rear full width mud flaps in the 1960's (may have been earlier also)....I have seen them at local swap meets in the past ....

1970 Superior Cadillac 54" Super Rescuer
1972 Superior Cadillac Model 626
Old 02-22-2016, 12:38 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,695 Times in 3,830 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

It could very well be a mud flap, and full width mud flaps were available back in the 1960's.
Looking at the picture that you posted last of the car while in service, I don't see any shadow that would have indicated that the rear step was on the car at that time. There are a few things that I know about having a rear step like shown in one of your pictures, is that it makes it very difficult loading a cot over the step, even if the step makes it easier to climb into the rear through the rear door. My 1978 had a rear step, and it was a major pain, because people were constantly bumping their shins on the rear step. It was way too long for the purpose intended.
I don't know for sure, however, I have to believe that the rear step was removed very soon after the car arrived, because where the car was parked in the fire station, it was extremely tight. When I returned to the Rhinecliff fire station with the car, I was allowed to back the car into its original place. I no longer have the pictures, but if I did, you would see exactly what I am referring to. The car had to be back to the point where it was almost touching the rear wall, and there had to be enough space between front of the car and the overhead door, to walk by to get to the other equipment. With the rear step in place, the front of the car would have been very close to the overhead door, and getting by it would have presented a problem. The apparatus that was parked next to the car also had to be placed close to the rear wall, since the car was at an angle, and it needed the space to be able to pull out for a call. If the apparatus next to it were not back far enough, there wouldn't be enough space to drive the ambulance out without first moving the apparatus.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Site Supporter

Thanked 2,340 Times in 966 Posts
Default Mud Flap

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Fischer View Post
There was a company called " Jeffrey Allan" that manufactured VINYL rear full width mud flaps in the 1960's (may have been earlier also)....I have seen them at local swap meets in the past ....
Here is a pic of one.
Attached Images

1961 S&S Limo Style End Loader
1962 Buick Electra 225 Limo (By Flxible)
1965 Crown Sovereign 3-Way
1965 C/B Landau
1968 Crown Royale 3-way
1996 Eagle Coupe de Fleur

1964 Dodge 880 Hardtop Wagon
1963 Bug
1973 VW Thing
1968 A-100 Truck
1970 300 Convertible
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Scully For This Useful Post:
James Fischer (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Website Member

Thanked 2,086 Times in 852 Posts

As luck would have it, here's your chance if you need one.Currently on E-Bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-64-M...3D111875723528

1970 Superior Cadillac 54" Super Rescuer
1972 Superior Cadillac Model 626
Old 02-22-2016, 01:16 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Fischer View Post
As luck would have it, here's your chance if you need one.Currently on E-Bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-64-M...3D111875723528
Maybe I should get them to disappoint Kurt Arends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
It could very well be a mud flap, and full width mud flaps were available back in the 1960's.
Looking at the picture that you posted last of the car while in service, I don't see any shadow that would have indicated that the rear step was on the car at that time. There are a few things that I know about having a rear step like shown in one of your pictures, is that it makes it very difficult loading a cot over the step, even if the step makes it easier to climb into the rear through the rear door. My 1978 had a rear step, and it was a major pain, because people were constantly bumping their shins on the rear step. It was way too long for the purpose intended.
I don't know for sure, however, I have to believe that the rear step was removed very soon after the car arrived, because where the car was parked in the fire station, it was extremely tight. When I returned to the Rhinecliff fire station with the car, I was allowed to back the car into its original place. I no longer have the pictures, but if I did, you would see exactly what I am referring to. The car had to be back to the point where it was almost touching the rear wall, and there had to be enough space between front of the car and the overhead door, to walk by to get to the other equipment. With the rear step in place, the front of the car would have been very close to the overhead door, and getting by it would have presented a problem. The apparatus that was parked next to the car also had to be placed close to the rear wall, since the car was at an angle, and it needed the space to be able to pull out for a call. If the apparatus next to it were not back far enough, there wouldn't be enough space to drive the ambulance out without first moving the apparatus.
I don't see a step back there either. Sadly, that's the only photo known of the car from the time it was photographed at the factory until when when a friend of Dr. Levy's photographed it in the early 2000s. Black license plate indicates 1964-1965 timeframe for the photo.

You mean these photos?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Nicholas Studer For This Useful Post:
Kurt Arends (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 02:02 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,197 Times in 2,418 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

"Maybe I should get them to disappoint Kurt Arends?"

Actually, I kind of like period accessories! It seems like most of these that I have seem have been on '60s Mopar station wagons! It would keep the slop off of that huge rear step!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
Nicholas Studer (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Super Site Supporter

Thanked 2,340 Times in 966 Posts
Default Mudflap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Arends View Post
"Maybe I should get them to disappoint Kurt Arends?"

Actually, I kind of like period accessories! It seems like most of these that I have seem have been on '60s Mopar station wagons! It would keep the slop off of that huge rear step!
I should get one for the 64 it would help keep the snow off the back.

1961 S&S Limo Style End Loader
1962 Buick Electra 225 Limo (By Flxible)
1965 Crown Sovereign 3-Way
1965 C/B Landau
1968 Crown Royale 3-way
1996 Eagle Coupe de Fleur

1964 Dodge 880 Hardtop Wagon
1963 Bug
1973 VW Thing
1968 A-100 Truck
1970 300 Convertible
Old 02-22-2016, 08:48 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,695 Times in 3,830 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

I never should have sold that car!! I want it back!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
Nicholas Studer (02-23-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:08 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,197 Times in 2,418 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Didn't Nick say, in his initial post, that it was just "taking a southern vacation"? When is it going home?