Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Website Member

Thanked 8,000 Times in 1,880 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default 5 coaches, 4 locations, under 18 hours

Last night a coworker had to drive two hours for a side job. After he mentioned that a business partner there had a couple hearses, I decided to ride along.

That business partner acquired this '68 Miller Meteor 3-way from a small black funeral home 5 years ago. It received a quick 'renovation', lasting about a month, completed in time to take his kids out for Halloween. It was black over white when purchased but was originally all black.

At least paint and wheels can be undone if he tires of it at some point. The FH it came from also still has a '71. I've called and will stop by when next close.

Out back was a '68 S&S Victoria endloader that came from a DC area FH. Sporting a Crain's M-M Sales rear license plate, I bet DC wasn't the original location. Owner hasn't done much other than strip remaining vinyl top off to prevent water retention. Surprisingly, this coach is not nearly as rough as it looks. Couple inches of rot in passenger fender dogleg was all I found.

Interior remains in great shape. (Is it just me or does tacky fake woodgrain keep this from being an absolutely awesome interior design overall?) Drapes are still good. Extend table combined with air conditioning make this a satisfying find. Paint and a vinyl top and this would be good to go!

Just curious, did S&S ever offer a crinkle top on a Victoria? After a being present when a number was thrown out, I expect some horsetrading to take place and '68 land a new owner within the next month.

Same guy relayed a '66 not 15 miles away. That (young) owner passed, his mother initially wanted to keep coach, now is fluctuating. Called and will see it as time allows. It was too late last night. After description from '68 owner, it sounds like another S&S Victoria.

Before yesterday's turn of events even came about, had scheduled going to see a '53 flower car today. Sadly, as these things usually go, not nearly in the condition expected. Make that a '51 Superior flower car.

There's too much stainless missing to ever assume this will ever be correctly restored on the road again. It could be a straight & fairly solid base to bring back as a Cadillac pick up, shop truck, bike hauler, etc. Owner was very very proud when quoting a price. My poker face held back immense inner laughter. A friend threw a figure at him and we'll see what happens. Not a project that fits my parameters.

Analytically, I think this '51 is the worse of two flower cars located together I tried tracking last year. The timeline is off from my notes as it has not moved currently in 10-11 years but it did only travel 40 miles from where I was told it was, which is in the same city this was acquired from.

Okay okay technically I only saw 3 coaches in 18 hours but the '66 and '71 are legit.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Attila Bethlenfalvy For This Useful Post:
Adam Borkat (11-08-2012), Darren Bedford (11-08-2012), Dave Hopping (11-11-2012), Gérard Zenklusen-Ott (11-10-2012), Joe Melanson (11-09-2012), Mike Burkhart - Deceased 1948 - 2016 (11-08-2012), Mike McDonald (11-08-2012), Mike Stevens (11-08-2012), Peter Jennings (11-08-2012), Steven Plummer (11-08-2012), Terry Lange (11-10-2012), William Ross (11-11-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,192 Times in 2,415 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

That silver/black S&S upholstery material, which was used for several years, is one of my absolute favorites! I don't mind the wood grain(formica) interior trim. What I think really cheapened an S&S interior(which were otherwise the best interiors) was that nasty Kelvinator aluminum interior mouldings that they used throughout the '70s and '80s!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
John Royark JR (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 PM

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like the 51 flower car,i would be a good one to go with my 51 coach,i remeber seeing one years ago in mass. i think it was the one in alices resturant,belonging to ray thatcher .
Old 11-08-2012, 11:10 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,672 Times in 2,096 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Attila

Your adventures are always fun to read and to look at coaches out there that would likely never ever see a PCS meet.

I have to agree with you on the wood grain. I don't think any car in the last 50 years should have had wood grain of any type on or in the cars at all.

I think it is the tackiest part of any interior. If they are suppose to replicate some part of a car from the '30 or maybe event the '40s, they should have given up at the drawing board.

That S/S would have looked way better with a grey, black or even white panel in place of that nasty wood grain.

Strong opinion on my part but I have always disliked it in cars I owned.
Buick's and Cadillac's were infested with that nasty wood grain laminate.

Thanks for posting,
Darren

1960 Cadillac S/S Victoria 3way Hearse
1960 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Landau Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1973 Cadillac Superior 3way Hearse
Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Website Member

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default more

enjoy all your finds. keep em coming. im gonna take a week and hit every little town around me and find some of these finds on my own. i guess its on the bucket list.

Tags
flower car, hearse, miller meteor, s&s, superior