Funeral for a friend

John Royark JR

PCS Member
A friend of mine has told me for 20+ years that when his time came he wanted me to use one of my coaches, and blare the song Spirit in the Sky as loud as it will go on the trip to the cemetery. Yesterday, I was honored to fulfill his long lived final request. I used my 1985 Superior Cadillac Sovereign. It made a sad day much better because I know he was smiling down on us. I sat with Bill the last day of his life, and it was tough to see him in so much pain, I hated loosing him but Im glad that his suffering is over. He will be missed by many.
I used my 85 Eureka Pontiac for his wife's funeral 5 months ago. Both passed away from Cancer.

The video in the link below was recorded by his daughter and also a good friend of mine, you can hear my stereo playing his song. The pictures were taken by me.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151703380579615

Bill funeral 2.jpg

Bill funeral 4.jpg

Bill funeral 6.jpg

Bill funeral 7.jpg

Last edited:
And they carried the casket correctly into the hearse and towards the grave. Always feet first. Perfect! Bravo!

John

Such a great thing you did there. :applause:

Really sorry you lost a friend. Sad two in such a short time.

I dig that song too.

Be proud brother,
Darren

I'm sorry for your loss, but what a great way to honor your friend. Good, too, that he was able to tell you how he wanted his funeral to be, so you could do it. :thumbsup:

My condolences on the loss of your friend, John, but also my compliments on honoring him the way that you did. My compliments also to the funeral home for allowing it.

I remember when my grandmother passed, I wanted to use my hearse for her final transportation, and the funeral home just wouldn't allow it. We finally compromised and used my hearse as her flower car.

My parents have reached the point in their lives that they have begun making their pre-need final arrangements, and as I'm the only one in the family who has set opinions about such matters, they are including me in their decisions. One that is absolutely non-negotiable is that my parents will ride in one of my cars. Not only have they been most supportive of my pro-car hobby, but I'm also not going to let them take their last ride in these eyesores that are passing for professional cars today.

Its always hard to lose a good friend ! and a promise is a promise ! and your a good man for keeping your promise.

Patrick: I can't understand why the Funeral home would not allow the use of your coach ? besides the $ factor I guess it boils down to making sure EVERYONE knows waht you want including the Funeral Home and if they are not willing to go along with it.....find another F.H. I'm sure someone will want your money !!

John: did you drive your coach or did the Funeral Director drive it ?

John, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend but what a great tribute you did for him and his wife both, for giving them their last ride in your coach. What an honor that must have been!

Its always hard to lose a good friend ! and a promise is a promise ! and your a good man for keeping your promise.

Patrick: I can't understand why the Funeral home would not allow the use of your coach ? besides the $ factor I guess it boils down to making sure EVERYONE knows waht you want including the Funeral Home and if they are not willing to go along with it.....find another F.H. I'm sure someone will want your money !!

I drove my coach, and his grandson rode with me, for both funerals.

I drove my coach, and his grandson rode with me, for both funerals. The funeral director complemented me on my coach saying it was "beautiful" and thanked me for doing this for my friend. He also told me after seeing two of my cars he wants to see the rest of the collection sometime, but hopes it is under better circumstances. After the gravesite service, even the preacher shook my hand and told me how much he liked the car and what I did.
Having both tell me this really meant even more to me for doing this.

I drove my coach, and his grandson rode with me, for both funerals. The funeral director complemented me on my coach saying it was "beautiful" and thanked me for doing this for my friend. He also told me after seeing two of my cars he wants to see the rest of the collection sometime, but hopes it is under better circumstances. After the gravesite service, even the preacher shook my hand and told me how much he liked the car and what I did.
Having both tell me this really meant even more to me for doing this.

Just to clarify, my friends grandson rode with me, not the funeral directors grandson.

For some reason, when I tried to edit the last post to add more, I messed it up and the first short post to answer Mike Boyers question still is posted, so Post #13 can be deleted.

Back