1955 S&S ambulance

Steve Loftin

PCS Member
Site Supporter
This car has been sitting outside in a small western Oklahoma town for at least 20 years that I know of. At the owner's request I'm not disclosing the car's location or his identity. The car is not for sale.

The most unusual and desirable feature is that it has factory front and rear air conditioning. She was originally owned by the George F.H. in Aiken, SC (still in business):

http://georgefuneralhomes.com/_mgxroot/page_10752.php

These photos were taken with my cell phone camera so the quality isn't the best. That said, here goes:

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 55 SS LF.jpg
    55 SS LF.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 452
  • 55 SS RR.jpg
    55 SS RR.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 473
  • 55 SS air intake.jpg
    55 SS air intake.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 443
  • 55 SS decal.jpg
    55 SS decal.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
While eminently restorable, a small fortune would be required:

Attachments

• 55 SS RF.jpg
    55 SS RF.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 55 SS LR.jpg
    55 SS LR.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 475
  • 55 SS engine L.jpg
    55 SS engine L.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 438
  • 55 SS engine R.jpg
    55 SS engine R.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 440
A close study of these photos will reveal much of the work that would be involved. Luckily, the only major S&S components that seem to be missing are the attendant seats. Truly, this is a car worthy of restoration and preservation:

Attachments

• 55 SS partition L.jpg
    55 SS partition L.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 438
  • 55 SS R door.jpg
    55 SS R door.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 434
  • 55 SS RF interior.jpg
    55 SS RF interior.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 434
  • 55 SS RR interior.jpg
    55 SS RR interior.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 438
The original owner of this car had a genuine commitment of service to the people he served as well as his business. This is exhibited by his using a car like this as opposed to the more common station wagon or sedan delivery ambulance conversion of the era. The people he served didn't know the difference between a Superior, Miller, Meteor, Eureka, and an S&S. They didn't care if a Pontiac or a Cadillac showed up when needed. The only people that were impressed by an S&S were fellow undertakers (and the owner's competitors!):

Attachments

• 55 SS front seat L.jpg
    55 SS front seat L.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 446
  • 55 SS front seat R.jpg
    55 SS front seat R.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 433
  • 55 SS AC F.jpg
    55 SS AC F.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 428
  • 55 SS data plate.jpg
    55 SS data plate.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 431
it would be a pretty car redone. I'll never understand why people don't cover them up and keep the sun from rotting the car away. the man must have plans for the car. you would think stopping it from going down hill would be his first step.

Nice car. The pics look fine - sometimes, you take the picture you can get.

So what is the owner's intention? He doesn't want to sell, but does he want to restore it? Or just leave it sit?

Back