12V lights, 6V car

Patrick J. Martin

PCS Life Member/Illini Chapter President
Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I've never dealt with a 6V car before. Can I add 12V fog lights to my 6V Packard? If so, what will be the consequences?

real dim fog lights. the only thing that makes the 6 or 12 volt is the bulb. replace the 12 volt bulb with a 6 volt and you got 6 volt fog lights.

What is the diameter of the bulbs? I think that I have some 6 volt fog light bulbs in the cellar. Will need to check to be certain...

Thanks for the offer, Paul. It is much appreciated! I don't have fog lights yet. I thought I'd ask the question before I actually bought anything. But I saw an ad that got me thinking about this, and the ad says "pair of Unity frames with 6 inch PAR 46 bulbs". The ad further states that they are sealed beam lights, 12V, one red, one clear with a green lens. It is the red and green that interests me as that would be appropriate for Chicago Fire Department vehicles.

.................. the ad says "pair of Unity frames with 6 inch PAR 46 bulbs". The ad further states that they are sealed beam lights, 12V, one red, one clear with a green lens. It is the red and green that interests me as that would be appropriate for Chicago Fire Department vehicles.

This is a little confusing, unless the seller is saying that the red one is a fluted lens, like a fog light bulb (lamp) and that the "clear with green lens" is a clear glass like a spot light and is green. Almost all the colored lamps that I have seen in other than red and orange, are usually painted clear glass lamps. I have a couple of blue lamps, and it is obvious that they have a blue coating or paint on them.

The way I understand it, the red one is red either because of colored glass or being painted. The green one is a clear glass bulb with a green plastic lens over it.

Guide and Loraine made lenses cast on Green. The correct lights for you 1940 are not made by Unity. Other vintage CFD Fire apparatus Usually have Lorraine of Guide stuff in red and green glass.

Back