Who has let you drive their ProCar ???

I got to drive Ron's 1966 Pontiac after Brenden got out of it with a rather pale look on his face, exclaiming "the brakes just failed!" at the Hudson meet. I just drove it down to where Ron's mechanic was and he fixed it later that day. Now, I know why Ron keeps this mechanic on retainer and speed dial on his phone. :yankchain:

I got to drive Ron's 1966 Pontiac after Brenden got out of it with a rather pale look on his face, exclaiming "the brakes just failed!" at the Hudson meet. I just drove it down to where Ron's mechanic was and he fixed it later that day. Now, I know why Ron keeps this mechanic on retainer and speed dial on his phone. :yankchain:

Yup, I looked like your avatar Paul! Besides, you were well rested after the nap you had on the way back to the hotel!!

Other than my step-father's service car, I haven't had a chance to drive anyone else's Pro-cars--guess no one trusts me or I am a bad driver! LOL

I've got TO MANY to remember and list that I've had the honors to ride in and or drive! My first pro-car I ever drove or even rode in was my 73 M-M Classic Duplex back in June of 2001 when I bought it! The oldest I ever drove was a 1949 Henney Packard Nu-3 Way Landau around a funeral home parking lot! The only brand new one so far was a 2003 S&S Medalist (SCI coach) that had about 300 or so miles on it at the time when I took delivery of it for the FH I was working for while in embalming school! The first high top ambulance I ever drove was Steve Lichtmans 1964 Superior from Baltimore to Mt. Laurel NJ and back! The total cars I've rode in or have driven is over the 100 car mark if I had to guess professionally, dealership, and hobby wise!

Ron Devies, busy with event management activities, allowed me to drive and pose his cars for pictures:

(SL photos)

Attachments

• RD 75 SC.jpg
    RD 75 SC.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 135
  • RD 64 MM.jpg
    RD 64 MM.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 133
  • RD 70 CB.jpg
    RD 70 CB.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 133
  • RD 66 SP.jpg
    RD 66 SP.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 127
While on my way to deliver the 91 side loader to the canadian border we had stopped to visit Tony Karsnia and he offered to let me drive the car he got from Bernie DeWinter which was a great thrill. I think it was more like he wanted to drive what I had but we both benefited.

I drove LeAnne's Elmo in Daytona and that was the first time anyone has gave me their car to drive. She almost converted me to being a limo guy.

I wish that Darren and I could have driven each other's '60's in Hudson, just to see how two cars off the same line still drove.

2 I can add to my list are Brady's 59 and Richard's Lifeliner...granted, I only drove them about 1/8th of a mile - if that far - in a parking lot ,going 5 mph..........
Have driven several that Danny bought from Mr. Muster....
I've only driven Christine down the street and back and Dark Shadow around in the field at Jeremy's...

Milly needs tires. If I can get them by then will consider it. Will have to draft a driver. Got a great pic of them there together last year, I'll see if I can find it.

I have led a deprived life. Never driven a real pro CAR, closest was a 1970 Suburban ex-ambulance that was assigned to the Fire Chief when I was with Socorro Fire Department. Low top raised floor. Four lollipop lights and a Federal beacon. Unknown builder as the unit had been resurrected a couple of times.

At that time, 1981 to 1988 mostly Chevy G vans, and one Ford E-350 high tops until in 84 we got a modular, a Collins IIRC.

The procars were pretty much all gone, from what I was told after 1973 when New Mexico started mandating what was an ambulance. There were probably a few around as equipment "mules" but I never saw one in the central/southwest part of the state. Vintage equipment showed up in the most unusual circumstances though. We had a 57 Mack as a front line pumper, Bayard New Mexico had a 58 GMC one ton 4x4 brush truck and Midway in Lemitar had a 48 Chevy still in service in the mid 1980's.

Back