Road Trip with a Glitch.

Unexpected road trip has a few highlighted moments: We sold the 96 eureka hearse that I had taken to florida. Funeral home in Milledgeville, Ga. bought for use at one of there three locations. They were suppossed to pick up earlier this week but for various reasons could not so yesterday morning my boss decided I needed to delivery. Only about 140 miles so no big deal, right? ooops, not so easy. First our car hauler is still broke down in IL. so next move is hook up the trailer, wait one minute, what to tow it with? Ok, decided to use a 87 ford F-250 4X4 WITH 64k actual miles and a 460 for the job. Sounds good, right? Ok, didn't get to leave till almost 3pm and need to get there by 6pm and do my deal and return. FLash back to topic about towing vehicle, etc. I mentioned that at least a F-250 was needed. Discovered this is barely good enough for this situation. Trailer weighs about 3000 pounds empty and with hearse almost 10k total weight. Was making way through Atlanta perimeter and traffic does a sudden stop. I am going with flow and not speeding nor texting and had left good distance in front of me and I see stopped cars and proceed to get heavy on the brakes, the trailer locks up but weight of trailer being what it is and truck not as heavy I don't slow like I should and see in front of me something that will stop me in a chevy 1500 crew cab pickup with a small trailer hauling concrete finishing equipment. I knock the Sh$% out of it and fear how many of us will pile up here. I felt several hard hits during this and see behind me wrecker driver checking me out so I get out to access damage. Straps broke holding hearse in place and it stopped against back of truck. Frame mounted hitch folded up under truck so now front of trailer is on ground. I back hearse back to original position of trailer to get weight off hitch. Wrecker driver stopps traffic so we car move to shoulder. Lucky guy I hit only had slight damage to tailgate of his little trailer, how it was not worse I don't know, my truck will need front bumper and grill and frame bent where hitch gave way. While waiting on police retied hearse on trailer and lucky hearse had no damage nor did the trailer but was not towing any further with this truck. Called for boss to send another tow vehicle and waited. Finally got police there after about 30 minutes. Received ticket for "following too close" which I understand in accident with damage ticket of some sort has to be given. FInally new tow vehicle arrives and boss wants me to continue my journey but getting there before they leave was now out of question so need to spend night and plan to deliver this morning. Got there early and unloading hearse and preceded to load trade in. Not a pro car but a 66 vw dune buggy with nice body used by schriners for years. Finished business and returned home. Decided in extreme situation even though truck pulled ok and handled well it could not handle sudden stops as trailer and hearse weight too much for it. Only two of us involved in wreck and no injuries, could have been alot worse for sure. Moral of this story is be careful and have proper tow vehicle for these heavy cars.

Glad things worked out!!!!!

Sounded like a good combination to me. Really have to take in to consideration the weight of truck,trailer and load all together.Glad that you were not injured,and that the hearse made it with no damage.Be careful out there folks!!

ouch! glad that you are ok, danny. i had situation once pulling a 60 caddy with my 95 f250 4x4. had to come to a fast stop and the weight of the caddy & trailer kept pushing the f250 forward. luckily did not hit the car in front of me. these old 4x4's usually cant pull as much weight as a 4x2.

where in IL is your vehicle broken down? let me know if i could be of any help.

strange one for sure. but goes to show even a man with a lot of experience needs to have some time in the combination to get everything set right. if everything is correct the tow rig doesn't matter in stopping. the brakes on the trailer should handle the wight of it and the load. but man that has to be one heavy hearse. you just can't stop 13,000. nice no one was hurt out of it. those fords have had frame issues off and one for some time now. you can lighten up to much is a concept they never understood. had it been a one ton the same year the frame would be the same. to fold it up under the bed with the hitch still attached is scary. could have had the decency to at least have sheared off a bolt.

ouch! glad that you are ok, danny. i had situation once pulling a 60 caddy with my 95 f250 4x4. had to come to a fast stop and the weight of the caddy & trailer kept pushing the f250 forward. luckily did not hit the car in front of me. these old 4x4's usually cant pull as much weight as a 4x2.

where in IL is your vehicle broken down? let me know if i could be of any help.

No where near you Darlene, near Nashville, IL in lower part of state near St Louis, Mo.

Glad I didn't read this til this morning

I trailered my Lifeliner to Florida yesterday from Easley, SC. We used a Dodge Hemi 3500 to tow the trailer. It was a challenge and we never got to go over 60 mph...so a 10 hr trip became over 12. Glad you're ok Danny. I asked another friend to do this for me a few weeks ago with an F350 and he said he didn't think it was safe. Glad Danny is ok!!!
Kev

Danny; There's always a market for clean Southern history Flatbeds and with your firms expertise it might be a profitable addition to your varied stock.

My curious mind has me wondering? have you gotten a final diagnosis on your current hauler?

Danny; There's always a market for clean Southern history Flatbeds and with your firms expertise it might be a profitable addition to your varied stock.

My curious mind has me wondering? have you gotten a final diagnosis on your current hauler?

No David, seems being I am 600 miles away they don't care to work on it. My opinion is it needs injector pump rebuilt. It is a good truck and served us well, just has a problem and having trouble getting these guys to work on it but what do you do? Won't run to take anywhere else and don't know anyone in the area so hope they do something soon.

Actually a bit off topic.

I talked with a rather gungho, shoot first and ask questions later friend of mine last night about going after my new 70 Superior.

He asked why we didnt just rent a uhaul tow dolly and pull it with his 2006 Hemi Ram Daytona pickup. Im gonna let him try it because I know that 70 will bulldoze the Dodge and come out unscathed.

He also mentioned getting a set of those cheesy leaf spring helpers and putting them on his truck.

If its a disaster I will definitely provide pics.

Caution towing heavy vehicles

Ben,before you do that,check with a reputable mechanic to make sure you won't damage the tranny in the 70 towing it a long distance. You may have to disconnect the driveshaft to avoid this. In my opinion,your rig is probably too heavy to use a tow dolly. Please be careful!!!!

Ben.listen to Denny,I saw a collision few years back,where the tow dollies failed destroyed the towing vehicle and the vehicle being towed,and a couple other vehicles that where on the highway with them,luckily,extremely luckily no injuries...

Not to continue to jack Danny's thread, but i have found that at least 3 dollies my friends have, and all the U-Haul dollies are not wide enough to accommodate a vehicle as wide as a Cadillac procar. I went to put my 69 on one and the front tires were on the edges of the ramps, and the bumper was about 3-4 inches past the fenders on both sides. Just something to think about. They are made for smaller vehicles.

Sorry to hear about your trip Danny. At least everyone, and the coach came out unscathed.

Not to continue to jack Danny's thread, but i have found that at least 3 dollies my friends have, and all the U-Haul dollies are not wide enough to accommodate a vehicle as wide as a Cadillac procar.

I do know that a Uhaul dolly will accommodate a 1974 Cotner/Bevington Cotington combo (clears throat) I mean a 1974 Oldsmobile Omega!!!! Just ask Kent Martinson and Ron Devies!!!!!

I do know that a Uhaul dolly will accommodate a 1974 Cotner/Bevington Cotington combo (clears throat) I mean a 1974 Oldsmobile Omega!!!! Just ask Kent Martinson and Ron Devies!!!!!

Haha i understand! I know the last vehicle we hauled with a dolly was a 1977 Ford F-100. Even then we had to remove the front bumper so it would fit between the fenders!

Plus i would be really weary of 7000 +/- LBS of Cadillac being restrained by only 2 ratcheting straps on the front tires. Thats alot of automobile my friend Haha!

tow dolly and...

Do not tow dolly a commercial car. We took the fenders off the dolly to get more clearance. Then when we went to load the car the dolly bowed in the middle. I have hauled a 91 six door limo on my dolly with the fenders off the dolly. It was a short distance...about 20 miles. Would not take it on the hiway like this. If your dolly has a table that turns, the front fenders will get into the towed vehicle body or fenders.
Dollies are meant for the so called normal cars not ours.
Mike

Last edited:
No where near you Darlene, near Nashville, IL in lower part of state near St Louis, Mo.

i had someone an hour southwest of there yesterday that was hauling a coffin & some other funeral stuff back up here for me.

i know a couple of people about an hour & a half away from Nashville if the place ends up giving you a hard time maybe I can have someone help you still.

Back