help with light siren combo?

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
Last night on ebay i purchased a light siren combo. I was wondering if any one knows any info on it for me, i was hoping to put it on my 49 cad s&s, and hoping that it is era correct. The number that was posted on the tag is "6DOWL1637E6" Also wondering if it is 6volt or 12volt, and if 6volt can it be reworked to 12 since my car has been converted. I should see it next week so i can find out more tech, when it arrives. thanks for the help. Rocky

link

It's a Federal Model "WL". If it is 6 volt it is probably correct for 40's or 50's cars. I don't know much more about it, but you can browse for it at www.sirenman.com . John Dorgan can tell you more. Some of them had a light to the rear as well.

As Todd stated, it is a Federal model WL in 6 volt. The only way to convert it is to change out the motor. Not a small or inexpensive task if you can find a motor. I hate to say it, but that is what comes from buying on fleabay.
John Dorgan

6 volt and 12 volt

If you can find a 6 volt resistor to cut your 12 volts to 6 you may get this to work on your 49. This is my 2cents here. I am sure there will be someone with a reason NOT to use a 6 volt resistor. Make sure you use a fuse in this system too.
Mike
61 MM

change the bulbs out and for the momentary use spinning it with 12 volts will not be a problem. the 6 volt motor is wired heaver then a 12 would be. but it will most likely not take a continuous use kind of operation. one of the bearings would be the first to go. the resister to take the amp load would cost about what the siren did. but then I don't think that one required any heavy wiring other then 12 gage. so it may not draw that much.

Thanks to all for the info. I have a 12 siren mounted behind the grill right now that works, i would like to mount the new one for the look so if i can run the siren in short blast would be ok. and i would like to make the light work to add to the look also. i should see it this week. Also i will be representing the pro cars, and my Kustom car club this weekend at the milwaukee world of wheels indoor car show this weekend with the 49. Anyone in the area stop by and say hi. thanks Rocky:thankyou2:

There are a couple things you could do, but the cheapest/easiest is probably to sell the siren and buy a 12 volt one. You could use a DC/DC converter (expensive) to run the siren, or you could run two six volt batteries in series to produce 12 volts for your car, and just run the siren off of one of them. In that scenario you shouldn't have to change your charging system, you would just have the extra expense of two 6 volt batteries.

Back