Indy 500 ambulances

I have done the research and its a 1937 Packard 120 chassis with a Henney body seems strange they would be using it as late a the late 40s.

You are applying todays standards to a vehicle that was built 80 years ago, when they used cars for 20+ years. I remember as a kid, a friends family always bought used Plymouths. Around 1950, they "upgraded" to a 1939. I remember hitch hiking around 1958, and a college student picked me up in a 1948 Cadillac that he just bought from the original owner. It was so comfortable, it felt like it was riding on air, and the seating was like a living room couch. In fact, the interior wasn't much different than my 1926 Buick Master.

Perhaps I was spoiled as a kid as far as rescue squad Eq. goes. Where I grew up (Lower Bucks County) Pa. Home of the Langhorne Speedway. Most squad eq. was only a few years old a lot of was bought used but nothing 10 years old. My summers were spent parking cars for races. I was the kid with the flag who showed you where to park. Buck County Rescue Squads Henney Packards were a site to see lined up ready to serve this kid never forget them. But no squad in Bucks County anyway would show up up for a call with a 10 year old ambulance except during the war when anything went. Now many of the local squads sold or donated their rigs to squads in upstate and central Pa. where there was no US Steel or more industry and thus less $$$ for the squads.

Having provided ambulances to the Daytona Int'l Speedway from 1978 to 1997, race day lineup was always exciting waiting to find out where you would be stationed around the track. These pictures show quite a variety of professional cars as well as an Olds Vista Cruiser station wagon. Thanks.

Back