N.Y. Bus

probably their catch phrase,a recently deceased London,Ont medic referred to all ambulances as trucks.old, new,modular,cars,vans,he called em all trucks,he was also famous for carrying his lunch in a metal lunch box,just like the factory workers,whenever and where ever lunch occurred Larry brought in this lunch bucket,but one of the finest people you would ever meet.

The term "bus" is a commonly used nickname for an ambulance in New York City and surrounding areas. Cops, medics, and firefighters use it frequently.

My understanding is that, back in the "old days" (good or not, I don't know), NYC ambulances were built using step-van bodies, they would often respond to a call, pick up a patient, then respond and pick up another patient, and so on, until they had several patients in the back, then deliver them to the hospital. Like a bus.

heard it was a term used about frequent fliers they use the ambulance like it was a bus. but steve's is more believable.

We always referred to any ambulance as a "car " or a "rig". Now I hear truck or bus, I very much dislike calling any ambulance A bus.:mad: Unless it is one of those mass casualty units made from a used bus. Units used by the city of Toronto come to mind. I guess Truck fits all newer ambulances, Type I, II and III. I guess I'm just getting old, and that's OK with me.

Not a fan of "bus"

We also refer to our ambulances as "cars"...occasionally we hear "truck".

As soon as we hear "bus" on the west coast we know someone has been watching too much TV:D

I have a good friend who is a retired FDNY Batt. Chief. I asked him about the term "bus" several years ago. His answer was a lot of people have no other way to get to the hospital in non-emergency situations, so they would call 9-1-1 and use the responding ambulance as "public transportation". In essence nothing more than a bus ride. It started out as kind of an inside joke, but eventually caught on.

Back