Dash Cover paint

Im about to replace my cracked top dash cover/cap, the long part that covers the speakers and such. My replacement is grey and my interior is black so my question is: What is a good spray paint to go with and what is the correct black for my '77?

Josh,
If you are going to do it yourself and you have the spray equipment get the black paint per interior paint code, flatting agent, flex agent, reducer & urethane hardener and spray it. Easier way is to go to you local body shop jobber and buy bumper cover paint in a spray can. It has everything you need in it and you can pick from gloss to flat. I have used it on some interior trim with good success. For this application I would say you would not need the trim code interior code for that car in black will be good. You just do not want it glossy. Do not buy any spray paint from the big box stores that claims to be for plastic and alleges to be flexable.
Gus

This is a great product.= Sem

I agree with Dan on this one. The Sem vinyl coating is great stuff. You need to properly prepare the surface first, and then use the vinyl prep that you wipe on. The "prep" will soften the vinyl, so the coating can properly penetrate and make a permanent bond. I have used it many times through the years, and every time, I had great results. Stock colors, such as black are available in spray cans. Other colors can be custom mixed to match the interior of the vehicle.

Sem Color Coat.......< click here

I have had great results with SEM products

Paul summed it well. At first SEM seems a little over board but you should use every product they recommend....cleaner, prep, paint, sealant....
You can pick your color from a huge chart. They can put it in a spray can for you if you're not going to apply it with a paint gun. The issue is- how are you going to aim it straight on unless the dash is removed or your windshield is removed. The other truism mentioned above is that you CAN NOT use glossy. You'd have to drive with sun glasses on all the time and it would look wrong. Good luck- I'd appreciate knowing how you handle it and how it comes out.
Sorry I'm away from home this month otherwise I'd get a box of it out of the garage and give you the contact info. Local automotive paint stores carry a few colors. It might be best to go on line.

I'm with Gus on this one. it's just a crash pad and it's black. pull it out so you can get all around it use some windex or ammonia based cleaner to kill the silicones, wipe it with a prep and use the bumper paint following directions on the can. the clean up and prep are what makes or brakes the job. either way is good. let your pocket book decide.

Back