The death of the collector car.

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
We had one of those days tusday. You know the kind were first thing that happens is you get out of bed and step on yourself as you get up. Anyway we had to go up to rapid foe an appointment so we took the 96 montie. I had filled it when Kandy went in the hospital so we needed to run that out. After out appointment we went to drop the tranny off for the 64 so they could get a look at it sitting to long with out fluid in it. Cruised threw the chevy lot just to look and as we were leaving it quit us. Refused to start with warnings scrolling. Ok better here then down the road. Made arrangements to repair got a rental finished shopping and went home. Turned out the engine brain box decided it's life was up. One year only no longer produced part on a 13 year old car necessary to operate the car. NOS parts getting hard to find used states that a number of 06 cars used the same. But 06 only. Looks like the SS will become a none functional museum piece soon.

So the theory is much like televisions and microwave when they break toss em and buy a new one.Up theirs,how long before we come to the same fate "sorry grampa is broke so toss him and find someone else to like..

There is one out there, believe it, or not. We most likely have someone among us that could point you to one. Or, go on ebay, or google the part number, it isn't that rare of a part, at least I don't think it is.

We had one of those days tusday. You know the kind were first thing that happens is you get out of bed and step on yourself as you get up. Anyway we had to go up to rapid foe an appointment so we took the 96 montie. I had filled it when Kandy went in the hospital so we needed to run that out. After out appointment we went to drop the tranny off for the 64 so they could get a look at it sitting to long with out fluid in it. Cruised threw the chevy lot just to look and as we were leaving it quit us. Refused to start with warnings scrolling. Ok better here then down the road. Made arrangements to repair got a rental finished shopping and went home. Turned out the engine brain box decided it's life was up. One year only no longer produced part on a 13 year old car necessary to operate the car. NOS parts getting hard to find used states that a number of 06 cars used the same. But 06 only. Looks like the SS will become a none functional museum piece soon.

That is so frustrating Ed. I had a friend experience a similar situation on their '87 Buick Grand National. Fairly rare cars, only made for a hand-ful of years and most of those parts are hard to find too. But when you need 'em, you need 'em! Hope you can find NOS somewheres.

Here is the bad part. You will find one BUT it will not be programed to YOUR VATTS key. So the Monte will start run a few seconds and shut off. Dealer only will have to program to your key. This crap makes newer GM a pain in the tusch.

https://www.solopcms.com/blog/4-painful-signs-car-ecm-failure/

Solo Auto Electronics
Solo PCMS is a national provider and repair center for PCM, ECM, ECU, TCM, and TCU auto computers.
14361 SW 120th Street Unit 106
Miami, FL, 33186, United States

Repair Center

Solo Auto has dedicated technicians that can repair ECUs, PCMs, TCMs, and ECMs, usually within 24 to 48 hours and then have your unit back in the mail on its way to you. We sell and service all makes and models of vehicles and we have a particular expertise with Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge computers.
If your car has been having problems whose root causes are hard to find, more often than not it will have something to do with the computer system. As its name implies, the engine control module’s most basic function is to control your car’s engine, making sure that everything is working smoothly so that emissions are low and fuel efficiency is high. Additionally, it is responsible for monitoring the vehicle’s myriad systems as well, which is why a malfunctioning module can be a big headache and an ECU computer module repair is just not something that can be put off for another day.
Wondering if ECM computer module repair is still doable? Even if you think your module may be impossible to repair, give us a call. We have seen it all! From the time we opened our doors in 2003, we have dealt with all kinds of problems and we will find the solution that will work best for you.
At Solo Auto we specialize in the highest quality used, repaired and remanufactured control modules on the market. Once we receive your control module our master technicians will repair your unit and send it back.
The process of repairing your control module involves assessing the symptoms of your module, calibrating the codes, and an internal and external inspection. Once the preliminary testing is complete our in-house techs will have the necessary information to get the job done. Before we send your repaired unit back Solo Auto will test the functionality of the unit, update the programming codes and finally retest the functionality.
If you need your ECM computer module repair simply send it to us at 14361 SW 120th Street Unit 106, Miami, FL 33186. Call us today at 888.848.0144 for a free estimate!

I found 2 used ones in Rapid fore 250. Rock auto has what the call a delco chassis emc. For 150. Steridiven parts house a a declo in the warehouse in sioux falls for 350. But the chevy dealer says the are not avalable. They have the car right now I'm home its a 60 trip up and back. They know about the used one before i left yesterday. I left the service manager a voice mail on the new one in SF. So we will see if i have to go up again it will be with the trailer to bring it home. I have am independent shop here that can program the ecm but he is 4 weeks out getting it in. Aney one want to move to a small town? I know were there is a new shop for sale. Owner died. Wife wants it gone. Lots of people looking to get a car fixed. With out the GM part number i don't want to spend the money getting one my self. But my luck on dealers i get the old parts back send it in to be repaired only to find it had a bad connection.
But the point is if you have a computer controlled car and you want to keep it you may be ahead to get the ecm now and keep it in your car. I don't see any one picking a 50 year old montie and rebuilding it like I'm doing this 53 or 64

Good news they have taken my advice and ordered the one from the locale parts house. Speaks volumes when the customer has to locate genuine GM parts for a major GM dealership And they come from a independent warehouse. These Chinese made GM parts are every were but in dealerships. The computer showed that the parts house has sold 3 this year now 4 in Sd. I'll send the old one in for repair and let you know how that goes.

Back