Red square headlights for 75 Criterion

None of our pontiac superiors came with them,and in our area Thames Valley Amb.in London Ont.was the first to use red flashing headlights on their suburbans and their bonneville,they also were the first in our area to use flashing headlights,their shop mechanic rigged it up using a signal flasher.Now I am talking mid-sixties.My boss said you want the headlights to flash use the dimmer switch.:pat:

LOL!!!! :3some: :specool:

you want a wig wag that works use the white ones. you can see them in the daylight a mile away.

Plus with clear lenses all your headlights are fully functional when not being used as wig wags, as opposed to only being usable as emergency lights with the red lenses. The red ones definitely have the bling factor to them, but I can't imagine them being very practical or useful on an actual emergency vehicle.

I have seen Superiors with factory installed intersection lights on the front quarter panels, and a few M+Ms with Ful-Vue lights on the hood (which actually looks really cool in my opinion), but it's interesting to learn that wig wags were made available as an option in the mid 60s and at least one late 60s car was delivered to the original owner with red lensed headlights.

Now if we start having LED strobes put into tunnel lights, tail lights, and reverse lights and a few red and blue strobes on the upper windshield, into the mirrors and side windows of Cadillac ambulances, I'm thinking that was not available! Although I've seen quite a few S&S high-tops with the mini strobes on the roof cap flanking a big beacon ray in the middle.

Abe

you may have to rethink that one to. I know were there sits a 75 MM with factory installed strobes. I may even get to work on it one of these times.

but out here away from the city lights I would never put in the red headlights. one needs all the light they can get on a open road. but each there own as they say. one check on the in service pictures showes some loaded them up like christmas trees but most did not.

All of my new coaches were delivered from the factory with them. Anything I bought used that didn't have them soon got them.

Hi Russell,

You mean red lensed wig wag headlights? Did you buy Superiors, M+Ms, or S&S ambulances? I'm just curious, was that a factory option in the catalog, or did you have to special order them?

Abe

Last edited:
My 1974 Cad S&S 3-way came from factory with clear wig-wags on it, and posts on top of fenders for "Funeral" flags. Very professional.......

I prefer flag staffs also, they look so much better than magnetic ones. I have them on my 85 Superior and have wanted to put them on all my others (except my 49) for ever but just never get around to ordering them.
Also, I have wig wag headlights and a purple dash mounted beacon on all but the 49. The 49 S&S combo has red wig wag grille lights.

Turns out Danny is unable to locate the red headlights so I'm back to looking. Paul found some but quite expensive.

Has anyone ever used a film tint or sprayed them? Curious as to how that worked out.

I sprayed them before. It works but the paint fades after a while If the rig sits outside. I used stained glass paint. I even made a set of purple and wight funeral lights like the kind that Zack is selling. This time i sprayed them over with clear. I want to see if they hold up any better that way.

Hi Russell,

You mean red lensed wig wag headlights? Did you buy Superiors, M+Ms, or S&S ambulances? I'm just curious, was that a factory option in the catalog, or did you have to special order them?

Abe

Yes, red lights where the "high" beam headlights would be. Superiors, and the dealer put them in for me, never bothered to see if they were a factory option or not.

Turns out Danny is unable to locate the red headlights so I'm back to looking. Paul found some but quite expensive.

Has anyone ever used a film tint or sprayed them? Curious as to how that worked out.

Did you check the site I posted here for you. As to part 2.....don't bother trying to tint or paint them......hitting bugs at speed makes them chip off real quick like. And OH yes, they will probably be pretty pricey.

might be off the mark here,but would thin plexiglass mounted in front of the light and behind the housing,would it work or not,not mechanically inclined but a great dreamer.:confused:

the most that you could mount in front of the headlamp bulb and behind the front headlamp bezel would be a piece of cellophane, which wouldn't be of much use. I found some for $15 each, plus shipping. Some might feel that this is too expensive, however, it is a one time investment. Bling is never cheap...

the most that you could mount in front of the headlamp bulb and behind the front headlamp bezel would be a piece of cellophane, which wouldn't be of much use. I found some for $15 each, plus shipping. Some might feel that this is too expensive, however, it is a one time investment. Bling is never cheap...

$15 each is a great price and very interested so please let me know where to get them please.

Richard

$15 each is a great price and very interested so please let me know where to get them please.

Richard

I didn't keep my notes, after you said that it was more than you wanted to spend, and you were going with the red paint for $2.98 a bottle... I will try to find it later today when I have some spare time.

15 is a great price, considering the clear ones or only 10 to 15 depending on ware you go. 15 bucks for a special order, I'll buy a couple round ones for that.
I don't even have a use for them.

Richard, they did make red plastic covers for the square headlights. I may have some floating around I will look but finding them could be a miracle. I think I had a red and a green but I have not seen them in years.

Back