definition of terms

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could explain the difference between a Landau coach and a Landaulet ? I have been studying a lot of pics on this sight, but i have not been able to notice the distinction . I always thought that my coach was a Superior Crown Royal Landau , but apparently it is a Landaulet. Any help would be appreciated .

I'll let the people that know go for this one. it was my understanding that these were terms tossed about by different manufactures. mainly just to be different in a very competitive business. but that the bars on the landaulet were smaller due to some glass or trim added

A landau-style car is just that, no matter the size, design, or shape of the landau bars. Superior's name for their version was a Landaulet. A landau-style ambulance usually had crosses instead of bars.

The correct name for your car is a Crown Royale Landaulet:

Crown = tiara (trim piece that went from side to side, from beltline to beltline, over the roof) at C pillar
Royale = used in 1959 through 1970 model years; has windows in D pillar, as opposed to solid pillars on Sovereign series that was introduced on the 1961 models
Landaulet = landau style, which means a solid area between the C and D pillars where the landau bars are mounted

Last edited:
Thank you guy's . I would not have figured that one out on my own. All these years and i didn't even know what i had. Again thanks guys .

Back