Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grave View Post
If you have cut the line try using a good quality not China six point socket I would assume 3/8 there may be enough left of the fitting to get it loose this way. Good luck.
Thanks, next payday i may get a bigger vise wrench and a 6 point socket. I sprayed some more PB on it this morning before work, didnt try to turn it, just sprayed some to soak while im at work. I may hold off on deep creep, since I already spent money on PB, i may as well use it.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Website Member

Well actually now that I look into it, it looks like what I have is Locking pliers. So maybe thats part of my problem
Old 11-09-2018, 12:34 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,438 Times in 6,106 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Are you trying to get the line off the master cylinder or out of the junction block on the frame?
You are not going to use that line again as it will be to short if you cut it back and re flair it. Lines are fairly cheap and you can get them in the proper lenght.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
Are you trying to get the line off the master cylinder or out of the junction block on the frame?
You are not going to use that line again as it will be to short if you cut it back and re flair it. Lines are fairly cheap and you can get them in the proper lenght.
I'm trying to get the other end of the broken line off the junction block, its not on the frame though, its suspended, held up by the lines that connect to it it seems.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:43 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,438 Times in 6,106 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Do as Peter said. Cut it short put a socket on it hold the block with the locking pliers. The way to brake it lose is position the ratchet handle and the pliers about 2 inches apart and squeeze the two of them togather. All you need to do is get a quarter turn on it. You will double your power that way and you can use both hands to squeeze it.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Website Member

I didnt get to do much this past weekend. I did get out there and try to move it each day and put some PB Blaster on before stopping. No sign of budging yet. I havent cut the line yet, but I'm probably going to cut it Wednesday.

I did find a slightly larger pair of vice grips with rubber grips over the weekend that I forgot we had. So Wednesday I may try using the bigger pair of grips to clamp the smaller one on tight and give that one more try.

If all else fails, I have considered checking if all the other lines on the block can loosen, if so then I could remove all the lines, and remove the junction block itself so I can get at it a bit easier, then maybe I can have better success with more leverage. I havent started the engine in 2 weeks now, so I need to get out there and start it again. I dont like letting it sit
Old 11-12-2018, 12:35 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,726 Times in 3,845 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Unless you have some good tools, you are doomed to having problems removing parts. A good quality open end wrench and a good quality box wrench on the tubing nut, holding them the way that Ed has described will lead to success in removing the broken piece. The problem with a Vice Grip Wrench, is that it will crush the tubing nut, and distort the threads, which may make it worse. DO NOT purchase Harbor Freight wrenches in the smaller sizes, since they are extremely poor quality wrenches. They are not machined to close tolerances, and they are made of inferior metal. I have seen many examples of them breaking, which in some instances has led to hand injuries, when the hand hits another object in the engine compartment as a result of the wrench slipping or breaking. A good place to find quality tools at a good price is your local pawn broker. I would suggest a tool by Bonney, New Britten, Mac, Snap On, Williams, Cornwall, etc.. All of these were made in the USA out of quality steel. If you think that buying quality tools is expensive, then consider what would happen at your regular job, if you couldn't work because of a hand injury from working on your car.

Here are a few on eBay Mac , Snap On . Use this as a price guide for when you go searching locally. Many pawn shops have high prices, but will negotiate a better price if you make an offer. They don't make any money until they sell the item, and many times they will sell it for a small profit over what they paid just to keep the merchandise moving out the door.