1966 Cadillac Hearse

It looks like a pretty nice vehicle...and a great price. I am out of room or I would buy it.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/5748808130.html

1966 Cadillac Fleetwood Hearse. S@S Victoria. Was in service until a few months ago at a Washington funeral home. Finished in charcoal grey with black vinyl top and black and silver cloth
interior. Very nice exterior and interior for a 50 year old car. Runs drives and stops. Good tires-
working original radio. A real eye catcher. $4500 NO TEXTING Call Eight Zero One Six Zero
Eight Zero Five Seven Eight

Now that's a deal! It won't last long, even if its just a straight end-loader.

Talked to the seller ,same guy that has a lot of late model coaches on the Utah craigslist. He said 1 repaint abut 10 yrs ago ,still looks nice .Radio no a/c. Pretty tempting.

Last edited:
I LOVE '65 Superior Cadillacs! Now that interior........ would work well for a combo, but don't love it on an end-loader.

I LOVE '65 Superior Cadillacs! Now that interior........ would work well for a combo, but don't love it on an end-loader.

I am looking for a mid 1960's Mopar convertible . Have the 1965 Crown for possible trade or the coach and cash .:YesNo:

Attachments

• DSC03963.jpg
    DSC03963.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 489
  • DSC03965.jpg
    DSC03965.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 403

You need to narrow that down a bit Dan.

Imperial, Valiant, Newport???? Range of years??

Just about anything 64-70 A B C body . My first choice would be a 64 880 ,second would be a 68-69 Dart 3rd 68-69 Cuda . E bodys are cool and hot but never did anything for me. The 68-69 A bodys I like the front better than the 67,s. I located my old 67 dart GTS in Denver .Not for sale at the momnet I would buy it back if I could swing it even though it is not a vert. Still had the original drive train in it and came out great .One of those why did I sell it cars.

Attachments

• 70987.jpg
    70987.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC06549.jpg
    DSC06549.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 357
  • DSC06545.jpg
    DSC06545.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC03012.jpg
    DSC03012.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC03024.jpg
    DSC03024.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 357
  • DSC00033.jpg
    DSC00033.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
I spoke with him today too...seemed honest...without prompting,
he told told me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I asked him if I could post it here, and I told him that you all were a good bunch...I would love to buy it, but no more room.....Also, my wife and I are saving money for a some land. I have been dreaming of large garages....

(He also has a nice 65 for sale) on http://www.autabuy.com/

http://www.autabuy.com/ViewPhoto/?I...DILLAC HEARSE BUILT BY SUPERIOR COACH COMPANY
I spoke with him about 10 days ago about the '65 and he told me the motor had been cooked in the '66 so, I'm not so sure it's all this and that.

I spoke with him about 10 days ago about the '65 and he told me the motor had been cooked in the '66 so, I'm not so sure it's all this and that.

Like I said, he told me the good, the bad, and the ugly...He said that he repaired the apparent damage done from the overheating event....He said that he has driven it since, and that it runs, drives on the road and sounds good...He also said that he is not confident that the issue has been remedied and that additional repairs/service may be necessary.... The condition of the exterior and interior appear very nice...The engine is not perfect, but $4500 seems like a good, fair price.

Just about anything 64-70 A B C body . My first choice would be a 64 880 ,second would be a 68-69 Dart 3rd 68-69 Cuda . E bodys are cool and hot but never did anything for me. The 68-69 A bodys I like the front better than the 67,s. I located my old 67 dart GTS in Denver .Not for sale at the momnet I would buy it back if I could swing it even though it is not a vert. Still had the original drive train in it and came out great .One of those why did I sell it cars.

Imperials??? There's an old couple in their 80's here in Mount Dora who have two Imperial Vert's. I'm not a Mopar Guy (didn't take note of specifics) but, would be happy to introduce you. They were neighbors for about 10 years, sold their property and moved to a smaller place. Cars are in trailers as far as I know. He had a Valiant Vert he did a total restoration on ( because it was a four speed he thought it was valuable). gave it away last year- no matter how many times I told him- "don't" (...spent a lot of money on it's restoration, ..take it to the auction, ...put in w/o a reserve, etc etc) .

Imperials

Imperials??? There's an old couple in their 80's here in Mount Dora who have two Imperial Vert's. I'm not a Mopar Guy (didn't take note of specifics) but, would be happy to introduce you. They were neighbors for about 10 years, sold their property and moved to a smaller place. Cars are in trailers as far as I know. He had a Valiant Vert he did a total restoration on ( because it was a four speed he thought it was valuable). gave it away last year- no matter how many times I told him- "don't" (...spent a lot of money on it's restoration, ..take it to the auction, ...put in w/o a reserve, etc etc) .

Hell yes! Those are fantastic cars.

ˌkævɛɑːt ˈɛmptɔːr

and that additional repairs/service may be necessary.... The condition of the exterior and interior appear very nice...The engine is not perfect, but $4500 seems like a good, fair price.

Take it from an old timer: with a statement of '....additional repairs may be necessary".. I would be very cautious. Ask for a mechanical inspection/compression test at your expense! It could be a legal bailout of a cracked block, blown head gasket, new water pump, required valve job, fried overflow tank, bulging /clogged radiator ... the list could be critical to your wallet. If the rest of the coach is stellar and you budget, at worst, for a rebuild or new (used) motor you'll be covered. Just trying to help.

The engine is not perfect, but $4500 seems like a good, fair price.

If you need an engine, then $4500, is going to be the cost of a rebuilt engine, and you still have to R&R (remove and reinstall) the engine. If it needs a transmission, you better budget $1500 - $2000 for that. Brakes $1000... Tires $600. Blown or cracked exhaust manifolds...?????? Front end & suspension work??? And the list can go on, and on, and on.

If you need an engine, then $4500, is going to be the cost of a rebuilt engine, and you still have to R&R (remove and reinstall) the engine. If it needs a transmission, you better budget $1500 - $2000 for that. Brakes $1000... Tires $600. Blown or cracked exhaust manifolds...?????? Front end & suspension work??? And the list can go on, and on, and on.

Good insight!
For what it is worth, and it may not be worth much, the seller reported that the vehicle was recently in service. He said that it was recently used by a funeral home until the over heating event occurred...He said that the mechanical systems, such as the brakes, transmission, interior/exterior lights etc...are in good working order...If the seller is honest, then the only issue is the engine...He stated that the engine over heated related to a loss of oil because of a failure to put the engine oil cap on (I am not sure of the probability of that happening...any ideas?)...He said that he had a head replaced, and that the vehicle starts, runs and drives...he said that he has taken it on surface streets, but not on the expressway...
Anyway, I have seen vehicles in much worse shape sell for as much or more...If all is as stated, and it would have to be confirmed by an inspection, this one seems only an engine away from a pretty solid vehicle...A straight RR of an engine is pretty simple work...fun for a couple of guys to do in a couple of weekends....
That said, $4500 is not that much money....it seems like a pretty small amount for a coach with a good body and interior...It does not get much less than that. I don't know...I am not an 'old guy'; maybe my idea of what is a lot of money for a car is different than someone who can remember when they sold for that much brand new. I have paid $1200 for a set of high performance tires...I have paid $750 for a custom exhaust...to buy an entire platform in the apparent condition of the one in question, does not seem like a bad deal even if an engine swap was in order.

The point of having a mechanic inspect it first is sound and always a good idea...Eyes open.....I have had vehicles inspected and have been told to run screaming. I have had vehicles inspected and was given a green light. I have also purchased vehicles that were in need of complete restoration, inside and out...it is all about what one's goals are.
The seller has another that seems nice too (1965?)...it is a bit more, and he reports that it is in good shape...just out of service too...It is also a nice example....it may need new everything though; that is the risk one takes when buying a car that is 50 years old...it is also the fun of it...fixing up an old car is suppose to be a fun hobby...In fact, I know a few guys who like it so much they get online and talk about doing it on this site.

Last edited:
Good insight!

Anyway, I have seen vehicles in much worse shape sell for as much or more...If all is as stated, and it would have to be confirmed by an inspection, this one seems only an engine away from a pretty solid vehicle...A straight RR of an engine is pretty simple work...fun for a couple of guys to do in a couple of weekends....
exhaust...to buy an entire platform in the apparent condition of the one in question, does not seem like a bad deal even if an engine swap was in order.

The point of having a mechanic inspect it first is sound and always a good idea...Eyes open.....I have had vehicles inspected and have been told to run screaming. I have had vehicles inspected and was given a green light. I have also purchased vehicles that were in need of complete restoration, inside and out...it is all about what one's goals are.
The seller has another that seems nice too (1965?)...it is a bit more, and he reports that it is in good shape...just out of service too...It is also a nice example....it may need new everything though; that is the risk one takes when buying a car that is 50 years old...it is also the fun of it...fixing up an old car is suppose to be a fun hobby...In fact, I know a few guys who like it so much they get online and talk about doing it on this site.
1. True, part of my 'Old-Timer advice' would be that some of our younger members would think they are going to get a bargain and not enter into it knowing what they are actually getting into: there's more then a few of us that have 'paid to have it inspected', the inspector 'passed' it with flying colors and then it arrived with a bunch of big flaws overlooked. I guess the point is you have to cover your buttocks from all angles before plunging...by over budgeting for items in your mind.
2. Also taking into consideration, TRANSPORT, in some cases, for some of us, thousand$ of miles ENCLOSED The weather is so goofy anymore I don't risk running 'open'. And, you better read the driver/owners Insurance Certificate to see if it's still active. If there is a mishap, his load may not be covered.
3. I was impressed by the sellers honesty. ..who also divulged the fact the '65 had bubbles of rust in/around the body in the great paint. That kind of report also can be overlooked by many sellers.
4. If the block is cracked or warped it would be more then just a few hours, with buddies to rectify.
In any event, I don't think any of us are trying to pick an argument- just offering advice to the unwitting. :eek:

Back