EMERGENCY Show and Squad 51

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I was going through the TPC magazine from the California meet and saw a picture of Squad 51 in a museum. Never fails they can never get it right. The museum squad has a brown seat and lug nuts not painted red. The actual Squad vehicle had a gray seat and lugs painted red. I thought there might be something different in the mirrors too but fell asleep.

Last night I was going through the TPC magazine from the California meet and saw a picture of Squad 51 in a museum. Never fails they can never get it right. The museum squad has a brown seat and lug nuts not painted red. The actual Squad vehicle had a gray seat and lugs painted red. I thought there might be something different in the mirrors too but fell asleep.

Also while watching an episode last night, I listened to the address given for the response but when they arrived on scene, you guessed it, address did not match.

After the show went off the air the production company donated the squad and engine to the LACFD where they were used for several years as spare pieces. I understand that the original squad was purchased from the County Fire boneyard and restored by its current owners. Perhaps modifications were made after the show by the Fire Department shop that went un-noticed by the restorers?

I saw "THE" Squad 51 (actually, I believe, the survivor of three) when it was on the East Coast for the "Project 51" road-trip in 2000, and it was restored correctly with the black (correct) seat and red lug nuts. It's my understanding that it's the same truck in the LACo Museum now, though I missed going there during the meet in '07.

"the" squad 51

Steve: That is my understanding too that it is "THE" one and I have been around it several times at events including hauling it to the late Jim Page's funeral in Carlsbad (CA). I didn't notice the lug nuts as being anything other than red and didn't pay attention to the seat. I know Jim was a stickler for absolute accuracy, but some one else since then may have changed the appurtenances? MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back