Barret-Jackson Palm Springs 2011

I was wondering if any one else came away from the recently concluded auction with the same thoughts I did:

I was first very suprised to see that B-J was again allowing reserve pricing with the thought that their car count was drastically down so they tried to get the number up.

The quality of the cars to me seemed to be lower overall.

I think in the wrap-up segment they pretty much admitted they were dis-appointed.

I've believed for years that IF I had something to put in an auction No Way would I sell it with No Reserve.

Thoughts, Opinions?

I agree with you. I was surprised at some of the low prices of the sales. I was also surprised at how many of the reserve price cars didn't sell.

Terri said it best. B-J has been a main cause of the crazy increase in collector cars and reality is finally catching up. Palm Beach cars were cheaper and not the usual quality we've seen in past auctions. There was even one car overheating on stage and leaking coolant.

I got sick and tired of CEO Craig Jackson sitting up on his throme screaming through the microphone about how cars were "under the money" and "that car sold way under it's value". Too bad Craig. I always thought auctions were a place one could go to get a great deal.

Maybe ole Craig and Steve will need to get part-time jobs at MECCUM. :specool:

Maybe they shouldn't have waved a little brass tag around mouthing off when they knew they had a fake on their hands !!!!!

Looks like everyone else lost respect for them ! I know my view of them has changed big time !

Just because SPEED channel put them on TV doesn't make them any better than the rest. At this point, I think their time has come... and gone !

Maybe the prices they inflated the cars too could only last so long before their bubble broke.

RIP B-J !

Darren

Didn't even bother turning the TV over to the Speed channel to watch the mess.
Me neither! Didn't watch a bit of it.

And I agree with Darren, I think the whole mess with the JFK ambulance cost them a lot of reputation in the minds of a lot of folks, not just ours. They put themselves into a place they shouldn't have been, and I think serious car collectors will remember that.

Me neither! Didn't watch a bit of it.

And I agree with Darren, I think the whole mess with the JFK ambulance cost them a lot of reputation in the minds of a lot of folks, not just ours. They put themselves into a place they shouldn't have been, and I think serious car collectors will remember that.

True, I don't really care for BJ Auctions, I enjoy Mecum Auto much better. They seem more relaxed, in addition the cars are more my liking.

Back