It felt good...

While doing a few chores for my mother today she mentioned that she was ready to take her first ride in my ambulance so...we loaded up and here we go. She, of course, was impressed but hey, she's my mom. Then she wanted me to drive by one of her elderly friend's house. When we got there she asked if they wanted to come out and see the car. Now this friend of my mom's has had seveal strokes in recent years, can barely walk, and now has a vocabulary of about 6 words. We were able to walk her out to the car and she was grinning ear to ear. She kept saying "ride" so I took that as subtle hint, loaded her and her husband up along with my mom and here we go again.

She laughed and carried on like I have never seen her act before. She couldn't verbally express her enthusiasm but there was no mistaking it. She repeated the same six or so words over and over and louder and louder and she was as happy as a kid in a candy store. When we pulled back up to their house I hit the siren a couple of times and I thought she was going to hoop and holler until she passed out. We got her out of the car and she was the happy carefree person that I knew before her strokes. As we drove away we left her giggling and her husband in tears as he hadn't seen her that happy in a long time either.

There is no doubt that during my cars years in service that it provided not only speedy transport for the patients that needed it but also joy to a lot of people. I can guarantee you though no one has ever enjoyed a ride in the '64 Olds more than this lady did today.

This whole event was unexpected and really no big deal for me at first but I'm glad to do it. It brought a lot of joy to three older friends and me and you know what? It felt good...:specool:

Great story Bruce! We should all take note, our cars mean many things to different people. Whether a procar, or any other antique car, we sure can bring smiles, memories and lots of stories from people who are thrilled to see our cars. Aint it great what we can do?

I had a neighbor in my apartment building that I chat with every now & then ask me the other day if he could take his last ride in my coach. He has major health issues and the paramedics have taken him to the hospital several times. I told him if that is his wish to make sure his family members know about it and I would be happy to do it for him.

Last edited:
Back