LODD - British Columbia Ambulance Service

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
Our thoughts and prayers to the 2 BCAS that lost their lifes yesterday, their families and co-workers.

BCAS CONFIRMS TWO STAFF MEMBERS KILLED IN ACCIDENT

VICTORIA – BC Ambulance Service (BCAS) today confirmed the names of two part-time
paramedics based in the Tofino ambulance station who died as a result of yesterday’s single-vehicle
accident on highway 4 (Pacific Rim Highway) between Tofino and Port Alberni.

“It is with great sadness that I advise the two paramedics involved in the tragic incident at Kennedy
Lake are veteran paramedics Jo-Ann Fuller and Ivan Polivka,” said BCAS Chief Operating Officer
Les Fisher. The Tofino-based paramedics were returning from a call in Port Alberni when they were
involved in a fatal, single-vehicle accident.

“On behalf of the ambulance service, I would like to extend our deepest condolences and
sympathy to the families, friends and colleagues of Jo-Ann and Ivan.”

Fuller, a 23 year veteran of BCAS, was working as a Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) and the Unit
Chief at Tofino Station 136. Polivka had 14 years of service with BCAS and was working as a PCP
at the Tofino station.

I know there are several BC medics who participate here. My sympathies to you and to all members of BCAS on the loss of your collegues.

You are correct, Steve

I know there are several BC medics who participate here. My sympathies to you and to all members of BCAS on the loss of your collegues.

Both Bill Leverett & Cliff Bergum both work on Vancouver Island and Doug House is a BC medic also. Former member Fraser Field is a BCAS medic too. Tofino is on the western coast of Vancouver Island and Port Alberni is not far from where Cliff lives. The PNW Chapter sends its deepest sympathies to our brothers north of the border.

Last edited:
Thank-you

A sincere thank-you to all of you for your kind thoughts and wishes. Death of a co-worker strikes very deep. I was fortunate to have known both Jo-Ann and Ivan and taught them a basic CBRNE and infection control (H1N1 Pandemic) course within the past 2 years. Like many in the field of emergency response, they were both comitted to their patients and their community. They will leave an enormous void. Tofino is a rather isolated but extremely beautiful small town on the very West Coast of Vancouver Island. The memorial was attended by over 2000 emergency service collegues from across Canada and the US as well as the military. Here's a video of the memorial march prior to the actual memorial service.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9EBLtTCkAo[/ame]

May they rest in peace.

Back