Very Sad News from the Northland

Tony Karsnia - Deceased - 1971-2020

September 12, 1971 - November 2, 2020
Just one more "sign of the times." Many of you who have attended Northland Chapter meets (including several past Presidents and current President Duffy) can say you've been to this place. Unfortunately, it will be no more. Us local old car enthusiasts will miss it very much.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/916970/391/Porkys-in-St-Paul-is-closing-its-doors-on-Sunday

I had an 11:30 AM funeral today. After I was finished at the cemetery, I put the hearse away and decided to go have one last lunch here. Even at 2:30 in the afternoon, the place was packed with people who had the same idea I did. University Avenue is already a mess due to preliminary light rail construction. What was once a prime car cruising area and hangout for anybody who loved old cars, is now quite different.

Just one more "sign of the times." Many of you who have attended Northland Chapter meets (including several past Presidents and current President Duffy) can say you've been to this place. Unfortunately, it will be no more. Us local old car enthusiasts will miss it very much.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/916970/391/Porkys-in-St-Paul-is-closing-its-doors-on-Sunday

I had an 11:30 AM funeral today. After I was finished at the cemetery, I put the hearse away and decided to go have one last lunch here. Even at 2:30 in the afternoon, the place was packed with people who had the same idea I did. University Avenue is already a mess due to preliminary light rail construction. What was once a prime car cruising area and hangout for anybody who loved old cars, is now quite different.

NOOOO....
I remember when we went there at one of the Spring Fling meets, and we ended up on the news!! I have a VHS of the story, and they talk to PCS member Kevin Kocur and there is a great shot of my 85 Superior FWD pulling in with the purple underbody neon and purple strobes running.

Porky's was hands down the best place to cruise in the Twin Cities. People from all over town would bring their cars there. From 1000 dollar cars to 200,000 dollar Lamborghinis, It was all there. Some of my favorites from the last couple of years were a boss hoss motorcycle with a 618 cubic inch aluminum engine that was 1000 hp, a Mallett Pontiac Solstice with 505hp LS7, a Volvo station wagon with built 350 chev , a Chevrolet Citation that was unrestored and like a new car and pro street yugo with 350 chev. This place will be missed by many people.

That is terrible news. The twin cities are a bit far for me to get there very often, but I have managed to make it to the Northland Spring Fling twice. Porky's was a high point of the weekend both times. It was a great place, both for cars and for food, and I will miss it.
Sign of the times I guess. We lost Hannon's, our local drive in, about ten years ago. I still miss it. There is a Walgreen's there now. Progress is not always a good thing.

What a shame!

TK!

This was truly a wonderful establishment! I'm very sorry to see it going!:cry:

Great food... GREAT milkshakes and just a cool environment to have some social time with car enthusiasts of all kinds!

Sorry for the loss Tony! I'm sure you'll find another joint with similar qualities, but none like Porkey's!

Still hoping to see you at the end of the month.... but my team is dwindling. John Ehmer may have to move his mom to Florida that weekend and Francis Marasco, who WAS ALL-IN, until he got his Steelers Season Ticket invoice, is now waining. Seems that even though there is a "lock-out" the NFL teams still wants us season ticket holder's to pay-up!

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll still be able to make the trip!

Did I mention it was snowing!

Rick

that can't close before I get my first visit. the last trip I got my french lake t shirt wanted a Porkies hat. so it gone. will gone is gone. anyone want to start a Porkies II

Back