wanted rear wheel studs for 49 C.C.

John Royark JR

PCS Member
As most of you already know, Im now finally getting the knee action shocks replaced on my 49 S&S combo. Well, when the mechanic took off the rear tires, one of the studs peeled off the threads along with the nut. The stud did not break, but the stud and nut is now smooth. He said he could find one but he is trying to avoid taking it apart to get one found or made because this ties up a lift until it gets done, so he wanted me to check if I knew of a place first. (He has worked on my car many times and knows how c.c. can be so much different)
So, does anyone here have the correct stud and nut for this coach? A few more would even be better to have onhand, but only one needed.

wheel studs

John,
Get the measurements from a good stud. Measurements from the nut may be a good idea too. Post them here. We have a parts store that has been in business since 1923. If one of our members has a Hollander Interchange Manual to cover your year of car that would help too. My interchange books do not go back to 49. I would bet that the stud was used for many years on GM items.
Mike

John,
Get the measurements from a good stud. Measurements from the nut may be a good idea too. Post them here. We have a parts store that has been in business since 1923. If one of our members has a Hollander Interchange Manual to cover your year of car that would help too. My interchange books do not go back to 49. I would bet that the stud was used for many years on GM items.
Mike

If we took it apart to get the measurments there is no point of seeing if someone has one here. The mechanic can find one too if he tears it apart, thats the thing he was trying to avoid, having it tore apart on the lift until one could be found.
Since the old C.C. rear drums are kinda pain to take off (big nut & gear puller) he just wanted to avoid pulling it apart, taking off a stud, putting it back together and retorque the large nut that holds the drum on so he can move the car, just to do it all again a couple days later.

Not sure if this will help, and maybe you have already tried this -

My Cadillac parts book (which is a '68) lists part number 1485129 as the wheel stud for both front and rear, left and right for '49 commercial chassis (if I'm reading it correctly), which it notes is a 1/2" - 20 x 1 7/16". This then apparently crosses to a part number 1457252 in 1973. GM part number 1457252 crosses to either a NAPA Part number BK 6411137 (Balkamp) or a Dorman Part Number 610-191. Both are listed as 1/2"-20 x 1 1/2", with a .621" knurl diameter, and a 5/16" shoulder length.

Take this info for what it's worth, there is a lot of cross-referencing and superseded part numbers in there, and I know all to well from personal experience that things sometimes get lost in the translation. I hope it helps and good luck.
:my2cents:

Back