ambulance rescue(s)

Darryl, you could paint that baby pink and lime green if you wanted. I agree with Brady, you are a hero in my books for the rescue and the other projects you have going. The important thing is you saved it from having a mighty oak growing up the middle of it. I can't wait to see it, especially that interior cabinetry lighting.

ecto 1 baby :hide: someone had to say it sorry

If it were mine I have to say all red with that unit.
Then find 2 white strobe covers to mix it up a bit.
wig wags on the headlights, and the starwars disco ball :eek:

Darryl,
I totally agree with you in your thinking on color and signage. I like the idea on black over red. That back door really needs to be 2 colors to break it up a bit. Keep the Wellsboro off the car as it wouldn't be recognized outside of PA anyway. I like your "Sayers & Scovill" and "Medic 1" thinking on the signage as well.

... I'm not sure that I agree with Steve Lichtman as far as black roofs becoming a cliché? Steve, would you be kind enough to expound on your black roof cliché statement
At least in my area, someone thought Chicago fire trucks looked cool, so now several fire departments in my area are going to black/red, and a couple of antique fire truck owners as well. They are not going for an actual Chicago restoration, just the look.
Again, just :my2cents:, don't mean any offense.

(New Alexandria, VA FD paint scheme, a change from longtime white/red, for example.)

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 347
At least in my area, someone thought Chicago fire trucks looked cool, so now several fire departments in my area are going to black/red, and a couple of antique fire truck owners as well. They are not going for an actual Chicago restoration, just the look.
Again, just :my2cents:, don't mean any offense.

(New Alexandria, VA FD paint scheme, a change from longtime white/red, for example.)

I used to work a couple southern US fire companies that went black over red. I didn't care much for this since it was hotter in the trucks and I relate pride doing the job to the look of the units. The departments I worked for didn't come close to the Chicago pride. Thus I don't think they needed the look of prestige painted like CFD.

The reason for my thinking black over red is no relation to CFD. I just think it would accentuate the upper embellishments and make the equipment (lighting chrome) pop as well make the Astra prominent.

However, seeing the thoughts of others it may stay red. Even though the black heater in the summer is no issue with the mega A/C system this rig has. ;)

Darryl, you could paint that baby pink and lime green if you wanted. I agree with Brady, you are a hero in my books for the rescue and the other projects you have going. The important thing is you saved it from having a mighty oak growing up the middle of it. I can't wait to see it, especially that interior cabinetry lighting.

Your wait will be short lived if you make it to the Procar Graveyard Open House. ;)

Scott right on the money several Ontario departments are now sporting the black/red colors and several have the flag blowing in the wind and all due I am sure to backdraft,for clarity there is nothing wrong with proudly displaying your nations flag in fact I say about time.original post I go for red,thanks.

Congratulations Darryl and Atti on a great find! As a former caretaker of Bruce Biancalana's '73 Medic Mark 1 back in the 1980's, I have a lot of fond memories of that vehicle when it was in service.
The fact that a lot of these newly found ambulances are being located in wrecking yards says a lot as to how difficult it is to acquire these old units. The days of discovering "barn finds" seem to be slowly coming to an end.
Fortunately the former Wellsboro car is still relatively intact and looks like it is in good hands with these guys' knowledge and restoration abilities. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this car as it comes back to life.
I'm also of the opinion of keeping it all red.

A couple photos of the '76 S&S after a bath. According to the builder's tag, this car was built for the Bloomsburg Volunteer Ambulance Association, Bloomsburg, PA.

This is actually the first Astra I've seen that wasn't red from the factory, but I haven't seen them all.

Attachments

• 76orangefrontsmall.jpg
    76orangefrontsmall.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 420
  • 76orangerearsmall.jpg
    76orangerearsmall.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 415
A couple photos of the '76 S&S after a bath. According to the builder's tag, this car was built for the Bloomsburg Volunteer Ambulance Association, Bloomsburg, PA.

This is actually the first Astra I've seen that wasn't red from the factory, but I haven't seen them all.

Love it, do you have any interior shots?

Love it, do you have any interior shots?

Forthcoming, after I get the interior cleaned up a little.

For now, here's a shot of the blue '76 S&S, halfway home. Car was built for the Roxbury Chemical Engine Company #2, Landing, N.J. (Body 76-290 - for Fred)

Attachments

• 76bluetrailer.jpg
    76bluetrailer.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 360

Hey Jacob, if you don't mind my asking, what is an Astra?

Abe

Back