Okay; Who Pinched The Engine From My Criterion?

The vacuum lines and electrical wiring remain works in progress. They plan to have those items sorted next week. After that the engine will fired up for the first time, and they will break in the new cam.

Attachments

• IMG_5571[1].jpg
    IMG_5571[1].jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_5575[1].jpg
    IMG_5575[1].jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_5591[1].jpg
    IMG_5591[1].jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 197
The shop had another new occupent; a 1937 Cadillac 4 door convertable with a V-12 engine. It is owned by a major league baseball player.

Attachments

• IMG_5579[1].jpg
    IMG_5579[1].jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5581[1].jpg
    IMG_5581[1].jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5583[1].jpg
    IMG_5583[1].jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
No trip to the Monterey Peninsula is complete without stopping by the Giant Artichoke for some French fried artichoke hearts. I admit this is most likely a northern California thing.

Attachments

• IMG_5600[1].jpg
    IMG_5600[1].jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5601[1].jpg
    IMG_5601[1].jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 196
they got quite a shine on those valve covers. you could shave in them.

Your right Ed, they do have a nice gloss to them. Both the engine paint and that used for the under hood black surfaces were mixed to produce a bit more sheen. This will help prevent stains when oil is wiped off in the future..

Attachments

• IMG_5595[1].jpg
    IMG_5595[1].jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5576[1].jpg
    IMG_5576[1].jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_5596[1].jpg
    IMG_5596[1].jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Your right Ed, they do have a nice gloss to them. Both the engine paint and that used for the under hood black surfaces were mixed with a bit more sheen. This will help prevent stains when oil is wiped off in the future..

For what you have invested in that engine, it better not leak oil in the future........ :myopinion:

Your project is really coming along nicely, Robert. Time for another song (?): "...She's ported and relieved and she's stroked and bored.." You'll have to let us know if 140 at the top end floored is possible after break in! Now my '75 M-M is leaving notes all over the house asking about truck fare to Seaside, California! :17875:

Your project is really coming along nicely, Robert. Time for another song (?): "...She's ported and relieved and she's stroked and bored.." You'll have to let us know if 140 at the top end floored is possible after break in! Now my '75 M-M is leaving notes all over the house asking about truck fare to Seaside, California! :17875:

John: The engine performance magic was the work of Maximum Torque Specialties www.500cid.com in Apple Valley, CA. Give Marty a call at MTS and he can provide you with a host of build options. Antique Auto Restoration in Seaside will do anything you want done for your car; it's just a matter of the size of your budget. I have been more than pleased with the outstanding work by both of these shops.

The break-in cruise will be a one day road trip from the San Francisco bay area to Pismo Beach and return home. That trip, along with the initial drive home from the shop, will put the first 500+ miles on the rebuilt engine.

I just received a call from Randy, the owner of the restoration shop, and he said “listen to this”. What I heard was an un-muffled (open headers) engine reving up and down. The engine is live, and man is it LOUD! The ambulance was backed out of the garage under its own power, and they are now finishing up the break-in of the cam. Randy walked me through the engine pre-firing procedures, and it sounds like they did everything I have ever read or heard on that subject correctly. It will take the balance of the day to fire it up, vary the engine speed, then let it cool it down, and repeat that cycle several times. Once the cam break-in is complete, it will be driven across the street to the muffler shop to get it fitted for the new exhaust system.

Last edited:
When I entered the restoration shop yesterday I noticed something was missing, namely my ambulance. Not to worry, as it was across the street at Bay Muffler getting fitted for its new exhaust system.

Attachments

• IMG_5619[1].jpg
    IMG_5619[1].jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5618[1].jpg
    IMG_5618[1].jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
The owner of the muffler shop, Robert, had been busy all morning making the "Y" that joins both headers to the single 2 1/2" exhaust pipe. Notice the Flowmaster muffler laying on the lift rail awaiting installation. A silencer sits upright on the floor. It will be installed aft of the muffler to keep the car Cadillac quiet.

Attachments

• IMG_5611[1].jpg
    IMG_5611[1].jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5617[1].jpg
    IMG_5617[1].jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5615[1].jpg
    IMG_5615[1].jpg
    45 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5613[1].jpg
    IMG_5613[1].jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
The front bumper, grill, fenders, and headlight assemblies have been re-attached. I had to stand atop a 8 foot ladder to take these photos, and could not use the view finder holding the camera at arms length.

Attachments

• IMG_5604[1].jpg
    IMG_5604[1].jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5608[1].jpg
    IMG_5608[1].jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5610[1].jpg
    IMG_5610[1].jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5607[1].jpg
    IMG_5607[1].jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
looking good. the cut off line were they stopped on the frame is right there. some one really needs to get those frame rails behind the rockers painted black. some sloppy body man has the white all over them and some in a hurry owned had to get it home. before he could get that corrected. watch a good man with the pipe bender hand make the y pipe would be a think to see. time will tell if the resonator tones down the flow maser. but you'll have so much more power then before you'll be taking the car out a lot more. still don't like the black master cylinder but love the gold cad on the booster. whats with the wrinkled oil pan ?

Here are a few additional photos.

Attachments

• IMG_5606[1].jpg
    IMG_5606[1].jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5612[1].jpg
    IMG_5612[1].jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5614[1].jpg
    IMG_5614[1].jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5616[1].jpg
    IMG_5616[1].jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 131
looking good. the cut off line were they stopped on the frame is right there. some one really needs to get those frame rails behind the rockers painted black. some sloppy body man has the white all over them and some in a hurry owned had to get it home. before he could get that corrected. watch a good man with the pipe bender hand make the y pipe would be a think to see. time will tell if the resonator tones down the flow maser. but you'll have so much more power then before you'll be taking the car out a lot more. still don't like the black master cylinder but love the gold cad on the booster. whats with the wrinkled oil pan ?

Come on out to California this summer and bring your paint gun.

Paul also noticed the "dents" in the oil pan. Odd thing is the impressions are uniform, so they must be there by design.

Hey Robert, are you putting R-12 freon back into the A/C system? Looks great!

The rebuilding of the A/C system will be the next project, and I hope to have it done sometime this summer. I plan on using R-12, as it produces better cooling in my opinion.

As soon as I get the car back from the shop it will receive two vintage two-way radios (a GE Mastr and a Motorola Mocom 70) and a period correct radio scanner. I received the scanner, a new old stock Fanon "Scanfare" M8-HLU eight channel crystal controlled unit, from PCS member Mark Provost. The GE VHF 8 channel two-way (with a scan head) I received from Kevin O'Connell. The Motorola Mocom is a single channel UHF unit which will work in concert with a Motorola Convertacom and a couple of Motorola MX-350 handheld portables which will compliment the communications ensemble. All radios have been tested and function correctly.

Last edited:
Back