S&S Rear tunnel lights

David Henry

PCS Member
Somewhere on this site, I read that the rear trim rings on an S&S Ambulance were actually a headlight ring off maybe a Ford? Anyone have any specific info on what they actually are?

Attachments

• F02C48F1-8CF3-4B72-A9C4-5AD56ED91FD8.jpg
    F02C48F1-8CF3-4B72-A9C4-5AD56ED91FD8.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 442
They look very similar to a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville, but you should take one off and look for a casting number on the inside. With that, I might be able to give you more information.

He's asking about the trim rings (around the bulb itself), not the mounting bezels.

The ring around the bulb could be any one of 4 different configurations that were used to hold the sealed beam headlights into the headlamp assembly. There are two different cut outs for the tabs that are casted into the bulb so you can only use the correct bulb (either high beam or high / low beam bulb), and then each bulbs location had the tabs in different locations to properly locate the bulb in its proper location on the car. Now, if they are using the red bulb with the screw tabs on the rear, that particular sealed beam will fit into any of the 4 housings. It is a difficult thing to visualize with only words, but once you see the 4 different housings, it readily becomes apparent how the system works in the headlamp configuration. I would need to see a bulb mounted in the body, without the chrome trim ring to be able to determine which was used. Once again, look for a part number stamping on any of the parts that you have, and check to see if they are the same on the left and the right (passenger) side.

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 393
I would go with the 71 caddy bezels. But the give away would be do they have the notches for the screwdriver to pass threw. If they used a car bezel they would be there.

Ed,

They have the holes that look like they are for adjusting a headlight, one on top and one on the side. As always, appreciate your input.

Paul

Here is a photo of the back of the trim bezel on the rear tunnel lights.

Attachments

• E4066307-91B9-4928-A1E4-6969675D4B84.jpg
    E4066307-91B9-4928-A1E4-6969675D4B84.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 269
  • 862294C6-1A6A-494B-8261-FB93AF1713ED.jpg
    862294C6-1A6A-494B-8261-FB93AF1713ED.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 275
The ring is something that they made up themselves, so send them out and have them re-plated. Same with the bezels, yours are in good enough shape to have them plated also. The bezel is a 1971 inner (high beam) bezel. That bezel has long ago been discontinued, so even if you found a NOS one, it would cost more than having that one plated. It is only money when you go down the rabbit hole restoring a car.

Looks like a standard unity fixture. With tabs for the 71 bezel. My bet would be iner or outer left or right will go in. Don't know any one doing the plastic parts. As i recall those were plastic not metal but you have it in your hand so you will know. A quick check with USA parts or origional parts would revile if there is any aftermarket out there.

Ed, you are correct it is a plastic part and I have not been able to find any nos. These are not too bad in all honesty. What I was hoping to track down was gaskets for them.

Paul, what vendors are out there that chrome parts anymore. I know the small job shops have closed here and become EPA Supersites, lol

They never had any. The worse thing caddy did was use a fine threaded machine screw in a j nut. They would rust togather and impossible to get apart with out damage the bezel. But the never had a gasket.

You will just have to watch for really nice, used examples in junk yards or on eBay. They are out there. I am sure that I have walked past them in yards many times, but not something that I would have previously watched for or would have bought.

Ed, you are correct it is a plastic part and I have not been able to find any nos. These are not too bad in all honesty. What I was hoping to track down was gaskets for them.

Paul, what vendors are out there that chrome parts anymore. I know the small job shops have closed here and become EPA Supersites, lol

I am assuming that you are not referring to plating plastic parts. For die cast parts, I use Qual Krom in Eire PA. They work miracles with even broken parts.

Qual Krom-Great Lakes Plant
4725 Iroquois Ave,
Erie, PA 16511

(814) 616-2918

Was able to track down the part number and are from ‘72 DeVille headlights.

Paul, so how do plastic parts get that chrome look?

Was able to track down the part number and are from ‘72 DeVille headlights.

Paul, so how do plastic parts get that chrome look?

I was under the impression that they were die cast. If they are "chrome" plated plastic, then that is an entirely different process. There was a company that I used about 20 years ago, however, they have gone out of business. The problem with plastic, is that the piece has to be absolutely free of any defects or scratches. The process is to coat the plastic with a extremely thin layer of aluminum, and then to apply a coating of lacquer. I don't know of any shops that still do this service.
At this point, you might want to try painting them with "chrome" paint. I have seen it at places like Walmart. You might also want to see if they have been reproduced.

..........or go the inexpensive route and find a nice set of originals! Y'all make this too dificult!

Back