Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 PM
PCS Member/Super Site Supporter/Paramedic Supervisor

Thanked 1,139 Times in 398 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default '73 Lifeliner trim clips

I know the collective wisdom will help me with this. Pictured are the nylon clips that hold the stainless trim on my Lifeliner.

When I removed the trim, the majority of the plastic tabs on these holders broke off (very small plastic tabs at the top and bottom). If I try and remove the clips, the round nylon center piece stays and the remainder of the clip comes off. I'm guessing that this is a proper design feature so that the remaining round plastic piece can simply be pushed through the panel and fall off inside. This leaves a nice hole to use a brand new clip.

The part number on the clip is "P-4268". It is 1 3/4" in height.

Has anyone run across these before? Are replacements available and if so where? If not, what should I use?

Thanks
Attached Images

1953 Pontiac/Barnette Combination
Old 04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
PCS President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 13,135 Times in 4,288 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

The basic problem that you have is that the mounting tab on the clip is off centered, and the molding requires this to be properly aligned. You are supposed to ask the question... "How do I remove these clips?" before you break them off, not afterwords. I could have helped you to save the clips for reuse that didn't break removing the molding. One trick that I learned is to spay WD40 or some other lubricant on the molding area where the clip is located prior to removal. This will allow the molding to be released from the clip without damaging the clip itself. These clips are no longer available, and I know this because I needed them for my 1969 Miller Meteor ambulance roof trim. I was able to save just about all of them by pushing the center plastic pin inward after the molding was removed, so the clip fell into the inside of the body cavity. I was able to purchase new pins for the old clips. Now, I have no idea what to suggest for replacing the damaged clips, but if you push the center pin into the body, the clips that remain will be able to be reused.
Paul
Old 04-10-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks Paul...many of the small tabs had already broken and parts of the stainless trim just rattled about so some were beyond saving. Having said that, I'll see what is salvageable.

Where did you find replacement pins?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Leverett View Post
Thanks Paul...many of the small tabs had already broken and parts of the stainless trim just rattled about so some were beyond saving. Having said that, I'll see what is salvageable.

Where did you find replacement pins?
at a swap meet a few years ago...
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Steinberg For This Useful Post:
Bill Leverett (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 09:29 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 15,987 Times in 6,748 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

thats a different clip then your 69 there were no ears on them. but that being said. they were common clips. I may have a few but no more then 3 or 4. restoration specialties 814-467-9842 most likly can match it up if you sent in one to them. but you woun't like there price at some were around 2 bucks each. they will not revile there source eather to me. like Paul said push in the center and it will lift out. if you luckly you can dig most of the centers back out. if not and you can't get them a wood dowl will work for a locking pin. push it in trim it off.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 PM

That is the same type of clip that holds the upper roof molding trim on the 1969, and I had searched for them for over a month on every website that I could find. The closest that I could find is the same clip that has the hole in the center of the clip, where as MM used the clip with the hole off set. The clip pictured is 3/4" square, same as the one on the roof of the MM.
Bill......... is yours one and three quarters inches in hight or three quarters inches in hight? If 1 3/4" I might know where to get them. Problem with all the clip manufacturers, they don't give you the dimensions, only a picture, without any way of figuring out size.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2011, 10:48 PM

This one is 7/8" x 3/4"... I have to order a box at a time just to see what they look like, since they don't sell them in less than box lots, and they don't give you specs. The number that you posted, is just a mold number, and doesn't correlate to anything as far as the clip is concerned. This is what I was told by the clip manufacturer. I order these through a friend that is in the retail old car parts business, when he places his order.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM

Firstly, thanks for all of your help with this Ed and Paul. Next time I will "call before I dig".

Paul, the second set of photos shows what would probably work. Mine are 3/4inches (not sure why I typed 1 3/4" earlier) and approx 5/8 inches wide. Mine only had a very small tab on the top and bottom...not like the 3 on yours. I've included a better picture.

The width really doesn't matter as far as I can tell.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 15,987 Times in 6,748 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Paul don't know why I thing yours had the tension ears. but the tabs are anti rattle pads. to hold the trim off the body a space and keep it from rattling. the difference is in who made them. when I looked around last night all I could find was the rivet on one GM used. MM used the off set to keep away from there seam on the top. but why here other then they had them I don't know. with out punching out the center they will brake off the lock everytime. width is not importent grip rand and the hold sise is. it the replacment takes a bigger hole your Ok smaller you will need to relocate them. then the car looks like a wood pecker go to it before you put the trim back on.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 AM
PCS Member

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

An old body shop guy showed me an easy way to save those, take an electric drill with a tiny drill bit, drill in the center of the round plug. Then take a small screw and very carefully screw it into the plug and then pull the screw and plug out. I lost only 2 while redoing my 76. Hope that helps others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larri Dirks For This Useful Post:
Bill Leverett (04-12-2011), Scott Crittenden (07-26-2011)