Rear Door Power Contact / Connection ?

As I am working more and more, the vent fan on my 1977 MM Lifeliner was mounted in the rear door. The rear door was in poor shape and the power contact on the car survived; however the door side did not. There is a spring loaded, with a plastic collar & isolated metal tip that should mate with the opposite on the door side…door side is mia ….

I have been searching Cole Hersee and Truck Lite with no results...

Any suggestions? Where to get them? What they are called ?

nopics.gif

Sorry Paul, you are right.. I will grab pictures tomorrow... the exisiting pictures that I have would not show the gizmo well enough....

Cutler Hammer made some of the switches that were used also. Problem is to figure out what the body builders used. Everything is off the shelf products, but the shelves are now empty and the items discontinued.

junk yard shopping for van hatches and sliding doors or suburbans all used them in a gang lot.. but what is out on the door one. the only thing to go bad is the spring. worse case would be to sneak a wire along one hinge and into the door that way. yours look like this one. it was spring loaded on the frame only a contact button on the door.

Attachments

• 021801.jpg
    021801.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 113
That's It! Thanks John...the little jobber next to the three black switches is what is in my car exactly....I am thinking if using a screw, insulated on the door side to make the contact...

Just A Thought

Maybe this has been presented before, but is it possible a switch of the style needed is available from either a school bus-heavy truck or marine-&-camper supplier. If I remember right Flxible used the larger door jamb switches that used to be available from suppliers like Echlin, Standard Motor Products or Borg Warner. This might be a situation where you have to 'look outside the bun'! The next time I'm at the shop I will look up the numbers for the above mentioned brands and report back.

the screw in a piece of plastic will work. still don't understand what is wrong with the door contact. is it not reaching the jamb contact. is it shorting out. the wire broken off . all it is is a brass stud put threw a nylon sleeve so that it is insulated from the body to carry the hot current. spring loaded on the door frame side to make up the space and give a pos contact. so if the button on the jam is hot. "test light". then try the battery charger, ground on the door hot on the door button or just a jumper wire from the hot contact to the button. if the motor takes off then it's just not making contact. if sparks fly it's shorted out. if nothing happens. them make sure you have power to the motor if you do it my be bad. if not the wire in the door maybe cut. now then if it's missing all together then a piece of plastic with a small bolt run threw it, glued or screwed to the door would let you get the power threw to the wire inside. it it's just not making contact and you can't adjust the door so that it does. then remove it from the door take it out of the sleeve and build it up with a drop of solder. then it should make the gap.

a story with a happy ending. all that matters. can you post a pictures there has to be someone else out there with the same problem. ;)

No, my understanding from many different sources is that it was originally ordered and slated to go to Groves, but the order was cancelled. Either Groves hated the cars because of the size or the City of FLint began to transport their own and the business for private ambulance service was decreasing.

The NEW car went to Alan DeRose of Detroit's "Quick Ambulance" which was a shadey company as I udnerstand.

Then it was sold back to the MM Dealer and it ended up going to Cedar Edge Medical Center in Colorado where it spent its in service life.

more info on my web site at www.1977mmlifeliner.homestead.com

No, my understanding from many different sources is that it was originally ordered and slated to go to Groves, but the order was cancelled. Either Groves hated the cars because of the size or the City of FLint began to transport their own and the business for private ambulance service was decreasing.

The NEW car went to Alan DeRose of Detroit's "Quick Ambulance" which was a shadey company as I udnerstand.

Then it was sold back to the MM Dealer and it ended up going to Cedar Edge Medical Center in Colorado where it spent its in service life.

HI Mark. your car was not used By Groves due to the City of Flint Started their Own Service. As Of today the private Ambulances of Flint are Doing All the Transports.

Russ

I thought so. I had a chance to buy your ambulance from a dealer in Colordo but could not commit to him at that moment so BAM!!!! My bad for waiting and should have gotten it. Had I known it was slated to be a Groves ambulance, I would not have hesitated. You've done a nice job bringing it back to life.

Richard

Back