nos versus re chrome

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we get into a lot of discussion as to what is better new old stock or re done things. singe I have the two 72 CB side by side I have been comparing a few things. spend most of the day deciding what I was going to take apart to clean up on the ambulance as the engine room was were I lost the most points the last show I was at. then going threw my used stuff to find the best used stuff to put on either one. I have a set of nos headlamp doors "bezels" I got some were I thought I would put on the Seville. the ambulance has a set of re chromed one on it here they are side by side. the other thing I noticed is that the factory tag for each of the cars is the same.
the number listed must be for the incomplete body. I have not had two like units side by side before to compare the caddies. but the Olds bodies in 72 share the same tag on the two I have. with the excpection of the last set of numbers. I just now saw that. my fath is restored. :eek:

Attachments

• 1972 body tags.jpg
    1972 body tags.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 118
  • NOS and Re Chrome.jpg
    NOS and Re Chrome.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 128
I remember seeing a car that was properly restored with all NOS parts that was competing against cars that were restored using all re chromed parts. Not hard to guess that the cars with the re chromed parts out paced the car with all NOS parts. The owner didn't even get an honorable mention when the judging was complete. I have sold many NOS parts on ebay, and in every auction, I mention that GM never made show quality parts. I sold a remote control mirror last fall that fetched a lot of money. That buyer complained about the quality of the NOS part to no end. In the end, I sent his some other NOS parts to replace the ones he felt didn't meet his standard of quality. That was the last time that I sold on ebay as a result. If I list another NOS part, it will be "as is - as pictured - no returns". It never ceases to amaze me how people over restore cars today, and how little chance an original car has on the show field.

Back