MM weather striping

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
received my weather striping from Mike yesterday. and after looking it over I'm happy with the results. it's is a lot bigger then there first attempt. feels good when you hold it to. here are the pictures i took of the samples I have. the 68 is a little out of shape and there is a little shadow on the backside of them all but this run mike has will work quite well.

Attachments

• IMG_0050a.jpg
    IMG_0050a.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 485
As soon as a little more cash frees up I will get my order in. I talked with Mike last week and he likes the end product and if Ed is happy, well that might explain the earth rattling a bit yesterday.

I received my 100ft of weather stripping on Monday from Michael and it looks great! It's going to be after Labor Day before Gordy the body expert has time to repair the '75 M-M's rear quarter and install some of the new rubber. At Michael's suggestion we'll try some on one of my Superiors to see how it works. BIG THANKS to Michael Mykulak, Ed Renstrom, and the other members who helped on this project. Although there's been much discussion over the years of getting a "group buy" situation for some of these hard to find parts, this is the first instance to my knowledge. Michael has invested his own money for this initial order, so if your Miller-Meteor needs new door rubber help out the cause by ordering! You won't find a better price than 2.50/ft. Most of this stuff is going for at least 4.00/ft.

Time for an update for all of you would-be weatherstrip purchasers! This is my first time on the board in a long time; too many things have needed my attention since last fall. The driver's door weatherstripping was installed a few months ago on the '75 M-M combination and it looks and fits great! I've got a photo or two of the installation but right now it's disappeared on my computer! I'll look for them and add them later, but have to take advantage of a sunny warm day to get some work done outside right now.

Here's some photos of the new weather strip in place. For some reason a little curve developed along the top edge. I put a thin walled socket that was about the size of the curved area against it and (carefully) closed the door against it for 24-48 hours but it didn't straighten. It was also interesting that for about the first day or two the door was noticeably harder to close-you could feel some "sponge effect" from the new rubber. That soon went away-heavy pro car doors do their thing!

Attachments

• IMG_1703_1_1.jpg
    IMG_1703_1_1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1704_2_1.jpg
    IMG_1704_2_1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1705_3_1.jpg
    IMG_1705_3_1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1706_4_1.jpg
    IMG_1706_4_1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 241
you'll find those little spots like in the front were it pulled away also. if you slip a little glue in them and pull up and down on the shark fin to get the drying process started they will lay right down. the spot that folds in is just out of alignment if it starts to bug you or roll under when you shut the door. slip a putty knife under just it and re glue in the same method sliding it in just a little. the wrinkle should disappear of almost. it may be little excess bunched up or just rolled up on the lip stamped in the door.

the key to a successful job is to coat both surfaces and don't stretch. then go back and re glue were necessary and if you have to cut it loose and reposition it, do so before it takes a set. it take a little playing around but to get it to stay in place. never a one shot task but once it all done it will be fairly trouble fee as the original was. surprised how much quieter the car is. looks good Doc.

Ed, I think I found the reason for the curled under area on top of the door. That door sags a little and if I pick up while closing it, the curled area has almost corrected itself! Thanks for the tips.

If the door sags, then the hinges, hinge pins, or both are worn. If the hinge and pins are worn, and the door sags while closing, it is going to wear on the striker bolt. If the striker bolt wears, so does the door latch. Also, as the hinge wears, the mechanism that holds the door in the open position will break, causing you additional problems. At some point in time, you will be posting about the door being stuck in either the closed position or the open position, and that you are in need of a striker bolt and a door latch. Have the door fixed properly before all the above happens.. :myopinion:

Back