barrett jackson auction

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
This week if you did not see , the ghostbusters car went up for auction and sold for $80,000. Whats you thoughts on it for the cost? Well bought, or not. I have seen the pictures of the car from the lot befor the build, but have not seen the real deal up close to see if it was built well or movie well enough. just curious. Rocky:thewave:

I happen to catch the live auction of this car. The announcers mentioned that the customization was far from perfect and that the quality of the restoration was obviously for long shots only. The auction camera got some close-up exterior shots and I didn’t see any obvious defects. They did not show the front or rear interior or the engine compartment.

A friend of mine took a very nice '59 from California back in about '94 to make a Ghostbuster out of it. About a year later, the car was finished and although I am not much of a Ghostbusters fan, I have to say it was and still is spectacular. It may well be the finest Ghostbuster around. I believe that I was told that my friend invested around $100K in it fifteen years ago. He will tell you that it was worth every dollar. He has lots of fun showing it and it is always a main attraction.
I had speculated that my friend's Ghostbuster would probably bring $200K at B-J and with that in mind, I thought the Ghostbuster in question would have brought similar money. I was surprised they ran it on Friday, which led me to believe the Ghostbuster they sold was probably on the rough side. It actually seemed to me that due to poor condition, $80K was probably all the money.
For what it is worth, my friend is a perfectionist. If it isn't nice, he makes it nice. I still believe his Ghostbuster would bring the money!

Back