Ford - Lincoln Throttle Body Fuel Injection

Rick Franklin

PCS Member
If you have a Ford Crown Victoria or Lincoln Town Car with the 5.0 liter engine (302 cid) and Throttle Body Fuel Injection,from 1985 or newer, check the grommet that holds the throttle cable to the thottle body itself. If the grommet is PLASTIC, replace it with the upgraded BRASS grommet. The plastic one will get brittle due to age and heat in the engine compartment. When it breaks, it changes the pressure to the transmission and the end result is you overheat the transmission and scorch the bands. This translates to a costly transmission rebuild! I just had this happen to my 1988 Lincoln Town Car with only 73,000 miles. This is the same set up on my 86 Lincoln Hearse so Im going to replace the grommet on it BEFORE I have to rebuild the trans on it !

tranny grommet

I had the same thing happen to me on a super cherry 1989 crown vic that i bought at an estate sale two years ago.found a super low mileage tranny from co part with 53 k for 375.00. I did the labor myself,but it still was an expensive lesson,thanks for shareing this!!!!!:pat:

In the Seattle area, the AOD Transmission in these cars has a LIST price of $2195. I am in the auto business so I have contacts and I found a shop that will do the job for WHOLESALE @ $1295 and NO labor plus they are willing to let me make payments over time!

We have a local tranny shop who took ours out and rebuilt and replaced for $550. I thought it was a steal.

I'm going to GA if I need a transmission rebuilt! No one around here will touch one for under $1500. Fortunately, at some point the tranny in my limo was rebuilt--I love the sticker on the bottom from the place that did it, sticker reads, "Custom built transmission by Amityville Transmission". All I could think of was The Amityville Horror movie!

Merry Christmas to me!!!!!

Wow, Im impressed. I just got a phone call from the transmission shop. I brought my car in on Monday. They called me Tues morning to give me the diagnosis and at 11am Tuesday I gave them the ok to fix it. They originally promised me the car next week sometime but its done now!!!!!!I dont have to drive the hearse on my cross state trip on Christmas now!!!! It seems they ran into a parts issue on another car, and instead of sitting doing nothing, they jumped on my car and got it done for me! I guess the movie was right: there IS a Santa Claus!

Last edited:
I'm going to GA if I need a transmission rebuilt! No one around here will touch one for under $1500. Fortunately, at some point the tranny in my limo was rebuilt--I love the sticker on the bottom from the place that did it, sticker reads, "Custom built transmission by Amityville Transmission". All I could think of was The Amityville Horror movie!

We have had several 1999-2004 honda odysey mini van's and they are known for tranny issues because of not having tranny coolers so they burn up around 100k. we have had several fixed with upgraded version and our guy charges $1500 parts and labor to do those. Honda needs to do recall on these but haven't yet. If you get one in this year range that has not been fixed yet get ready for it.

rebuilt on a pallet

I have a guy that rebuilt two transsmissions for me for about $600.00 each but they need to be pulled from the car and on a pallet
I had the 68 limo and a dodge van done and they have been running great

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought an 88 Lincoln with a throttle body. Does somebody have a picture of this "grommet"? I found where the throttle cable is attached to the throttle, and there is a plastic piece that connects it, is this what needs to be replaced? And where can I buy this brass piece? I'd like to understand how the cracked grommet would affect the transmission, doesn't seem like it would.

Thanks!
Ernie

The crack doesn't but once it breaks the cable comes off to the trans. I lost the trans on my 1990 Ford wagon that way. It only had 40,000 miles. Once that breaks it happens quick. A fiend of mine just bought a 90 Merc. Two days later, bad trans. Same thing!

The crack doesn't but once it breaks the cable comes off to the trans. I lost the trans on my 1990 Ford wagon that way. It only had 40,000 miles. Once that breaks it happens quick. A fiend of mine just bought a 90 Merc. Two days later, bad trans. Same thing!

I thought that I was your only friend! :wtf:

Back