Baby it's cold outside Circa 1968

Denny Shira - Deceased - 1951 - 2020

June 5, 1951 - January 29, 2020
My self and my partner Gary pulling the cot out of a 1963 Superior Limousine combination in the dead of winter. I am on the right. Ice cream, Get your ice cream! I apologize for the poor picture quality, it was copied from a Polaroid.:eek:

Attachments

• Scan0046.jpg
    Scan0046.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 337
Macho, don't need no coat,remember those days well,now I get chills opening the fridge door. P.S. how many calls could you get from a set of whites?

If you were careful you could get a couple of shifts out of a set of whites. One messy call and you had to change them out. always had a spare set on hand.
When we could,
we would carry the cot in without putting it down, to save peoples floors. If it was a nice house, we would take our boots off also, as long as it was not a serious emergency. try getting a commercial ambulance crew to do that today.
On my volunteer squad, we still do that, circumstances permitting. :thumbsup:

Ahhhhhhh......the good old days!!! John and I ran a call on Washington St. in Sandusky on a night that looked a lot like that. We backed in a driveway, just off the street, there was a car dealership just 10' off the left rear corner of the coach.

The driver (me) would grab the trauma box (Plano 727 if I recall properly), John would grab the oxygen kit, we'd meet at the back of the coach. He had the door open and the gurney pulled back. I came around the corner, my foot slipped, and I "flung" my right arm around to catch myself. The box "flew" through a very large, very expensive plate glass window!!! Damn, were those folks pi$$ed!!!!

Sweet memories of yesteryear, every time I see John he manages to mention that. My sons think it's funny as hell!!! I tell them, just wait, your day's coming!!!

yes you got to love those winter calls. we had one that the drive was so steep on we could not get the collins van up there. drag the gurney and equipment up a 1/8 mile driveway and attended the pt when one of the members husband brought out his 4wheel drive pickup. we transported the pt down to the ambulance in it. made the transfer and off we go. all in sub zero weather. just something neat about red lights flashing in the snow.

Ahhhhhhh......the good old days!!! John and I ran a call on Washington St. in Sandusky on a night that looked a lot like that. We backed in a driveway, just off the street, there was a car dealership just 10' off the left rear corner of the coach.

The driver (me) would grab the trauma box (Plano 727 if I recall properly), John would grab the oxygen kit, we'd meet at the back of the coach. He had the door open and the gurney pulled back. I came around the corner, my foot slipped, and I "flung" my right arm around to catch myself. The box "flew" through a very large, very expensive plate glass window!!! Damn, were those folks pi$!!!!

Sweet memories of yesteryear, every time I see John he manages to mention that. My sons think it's funny as hell!!! I tell them, just wait, your day's coming!!!
You're right Russ, laughing at our fellow EMS providers for hitting the ground in the snow pays back rich dividends. Not good karma!!

Those photos bring back such memories remember our Pontiacs,you would bust your butt to get the snow and slush off them and scrub em back to pristine condition only to get another call and have to do it all again,looking back they were great times,but now with the pickle p*** they spray on the roads would not trade them old days.

Back