1956 Miller

Would anyone know where we could locate a 365, period correct motor for my 56' Miller? We pulled the engine to rebuild it and it has some issues. Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0212 (1).JPG
    IMG_0212 (1).JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 390
a long shot........

there is a '56 Cadillac in a used car lot here in Decatur, IL.............I don't know anything about it, except that it is a '56.......I can check on it if you want me to.

Thanks Dan-
I'm thinking that a parts car may be biting off more than I can chew logistically at this point. Hopefully an engine or engine with tranny will surface that I could have shipped down for a rebuild. I do appreciate hearing from you.

Back in the 50s the Cadillac engines from 56 to 58 did not enjoy a good rep. The issues were mostly head problems cracking and blowing head gaskets. When I started my first yard in 1962 the heads from the 56 to 58s were still in big demand. YOU HAD TO HAVE THEM MAGNAFLUXED to sell them but then they brought a premium price. I will check the old interchange books later today and report back with the results.

Here is the information on Cadillac motor interchange from the 29th Hollander. 56 thru 62 interchange Hollander #662. 61 and 62 into 56 may require motor mount change (their notes). 56 is such a bad year cylinder heads interchange but two different types by engine number that do not interchange. Flywheel the same 56 to 60. Oil pan the same 54 to 60. My thoughts find a 59 or 60 thats good I never bought one with a bad engine and never sold one from the yard. If you get any engine thats been sitting make sure you free up any stuck valves (valves on these tend to stick when they sit)as you will bend pushrods and have to deal with it after the fact.

Would anyone know where we could locate a 365, period correct motor for my 56' Miller? We pulled the engine to rebuild it and it has some issues. Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Specifically, what are the issues? If it were mine, I would send it to Jasper for rebuilding. They guarantee the work for 3 years or 100,000 miles parts and labor for cars.

I blew the motor on my '56 Meteor 3-Way Landau back in the early '80s. I them sold it to a buddy who dropped in a '60 Cad 390(out of a '60 M-M Duplex that another buddy ran in the demo derby). Th nice thing about a '60 was that it was the first year for a spin-on oil filter!

In the past, we would just replace the 365 with a 390. Virtually identical,( save for the aforementioned spin on filter on some later model 390's). More power, and more reliable than the 365. With many people doing LS engine swaps in their older Cadillac's, there seem to be many 390's available.

My point exactly why redo or replace with what was a lousy engine when the vehicle was new just for the sake of being original? The later engines are not hard to find have more HP. and are not troublesome a no brainer from my view. Just watch for the stuck valve issue on ones that have sat.

Back