Daytona Rod Run

Shelly and I attended this years Rod Run with our 56'. Sorry we missed visiting the PCS tent but we had some wheel bearing challenges. I want to thank the volunteers at the "Rod Repair" located within the show for their able assistance. They were able to get us tightened up enough for our return to Tampa. On another note- our hearse was vandalized in our hotel parking lot at 2AM Sunday- no major damage- however miraculously the Daytona Beach Police made an arrest. This was an interesting year for us but overall a nice weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1691 (1).jpg
    IMG_1691 (1).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 185
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 185
Well where in the world were you Chuck? I would loved to have visited with you but never saw your hearse. I have a picture of that red Cadillac directly behind your hearse. What a show!!! you could have done the Gaslight Parade with us Friday evening.

Thanks, Richard-
We were in the section east of the entrance tunnel. After the repair we were close too the red Cadillac. I'm not familiar with the Gaslight gathering, We did make an appearance at the Bellair Plaza on Friday night.

Thanks, Richard-
We were in the section east of the entrance tunnel. After the repair we were close too the red Cadillac. I'm not familiar with the Gaslight gathering, We did make an appearance at the Bellair Plaza on Friday night.

The Bellair Plaza was a zoo this year. Bill and I tried to get in there Friday night after the parade but bailed not finding a parking place. I loved it. Well let's remember to re-visit this next year and get you involved with the parade if you take that beautiful hearse. It is a ball.

Here we are in my two ambulances at the time from a couple years ago.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmZ3WEB8gkY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-UcuwQOnFQ[/ame]

On another note- our hearse was vandalized in our hotel parking lot at 2AM Sunday- no major damage- however miraculously the Daytona Beach Police made an arrest.

Forgive me for asking - but can you tell us more? Was there a motive? It has indeed been a concern of mine to leave the cars out in public with the way some people act even when there is no malicious intent.

Yes, Nicholas- When the phone rings at 3AM it's not usually good news. They asked me to come to the front desk to speak with police. Obviously I first headed to the parking lot to find my coach covered with white spray. I was relieved to see that the glass was fine (I'm always concerned if I had to replace the curved glass). A couple of guys stole the fire extinguisher's from the hotel and blasted my car with them. Fortunately, a fellow car show visitor was on his balcony having a cigarette (Thank you for smoking-) and witnessed it. He called the police who arrived as the two idiots were throwing the fire extinguishers in the ocean. I did a thorough cleaning of the car, right then and avoided any damage. They definitely singled out the hearse (a hate crime?)as the whole parking lot was full of show cars. I was also impressed with the way the hotel handled the situation. The girlfriends of the two vandals were sleeping and not involved but the hotel kicked them out on the spot.

Thank God it was today and they were CO2 units in the old days with the soda acid ones all the chrome plated items would have been toast. Amazing the nut factor with our cars. Thirty years ago when my 52 Henney ambulance was at a shop for muffler work someone in the night placed four lit road flares against my new wide whitewall tires. The result was lucky the tires blew out when the flares burned through the side walls and thus blew the flares away from the rig. The tires for some reason did not continue to burn. A real stroke of luck as the only Henney high top made would have been gone.

Yes, Nicholas- When the phone rings at 3AM it's not usually good news. They asked me to come to the front desk to speak with police. Obviously I first headed to the parking lot to find my coach covered with white spray. I was relieved to see that the glass was fine (I'm always concerned if I had to replace the curved glass). A couple of guys stole the fire extinguisher's from the hotel and blasted my car with them. Fortunately, a fellow car show visitor was on his balcony having a cigarette (Thank you for smoking-) and witnessed it. He called the police who arrived as the two idiots were throwing the fire extinguishers in the ocean. I did a thorough cleaning of the car, right then and avoided any damage. They definitely singled out the hearse (a hate crime?)as the whole parking lot was full of show cars. I was also impressed with the way the hotel handled the situation. The girlfriends of the two vandals were sleeping and not involved but the hotel kicked them out on the spot.[/QUOTE

This is where I make Rush Limbaugh look like some "left-wing nut job". When we catch these little bastards doin' this stuff we should just wack their hands off, on the spot. No questions asked, you're caught, here's your punishment....period, end of conversation!!!! You'd only have to do that a few times in this country and word would get out that this kind of stuff is a real bad idea!!!!!

But then again, I tend to be a little radical on these matters. Punishment should be swift and certain....witness the happening(s) at Ohio State yesterday. Less than 2 minutes from initial call to EOP (end of problem)!!!

When you have one that stands out it gets singled out. Lost a grill in the 86 limo while staying at a motel in Minneapolis. The only time I have had one damaged. The good part is that the old stuff is a lot tougher the the new stuff.

Cary-
Would be interested in what you found. I have the engine out of the 56' Miller with hopes of having it on the road for Asheville next year.

Here's the 56 combination. We are trying to have it ready for Asheville as well. It's a running driving car that is being gone through and made close to 100% mechanically. After the holidays it is going to get a cosmetic "cleanup/makeover/preservation.

15235866_1165960033489870_6404914492548037766_o.jpg

Years ago when Terri and I owned a 1960 Coupe De Ville we were towing it and stayed at a motel. Got ready to leave the next morning and as one should, I checked the straps holding the car on the trailer and some idiot had loosened all of them. That could have been a disaster.

Back