1957 Ford F-100 ambulance

It could very well have been built new by Superior Coach in 1957..... sans quarter windows! That part could have been done by the dealer upon delivery to them.

Kurt, I'm not trying to pick a fight, but that scenario seems highly unlikely. I can't imagine that Superior would have built an ambulance, shipped it to a dealer, then the dealer took a brand new ambulance, did a major disassembly job, put in 10-year-old windows, then reassembled it and sold it as "new". That's just not logical (says Mr. Spock).

There is no evidence that Superior Coach ever built this style van during that era. There is no evidence that Superior built this based on a Superior builder's plate - there is none. We know the Superior lights would have been available to a Superior dealership. A Superior dealer sticker doesn't mean it was built by Superior, only that it was sold by the dealer.

The much more likely scenario is that this was assembled in the dealer shop in CA from a Ford van and various parts on hand, including Superior lights and windows from an old Miller ambulance (the window thing was probably one guy's bright idea, never to be repeated).

That this wasn't built by Superior Coach in Lima or Kosciusko isn't a bad thing. That this probably was built in a local shop isn't a bad thing either. It's still a nice van ambulance. :cool:

actually it's a panel truck. but hay that's all splitting hairs. what does intrigue me is the glass top molded for the bus lights. something never seen before or since. we have seen all manner of tail lights used in a wide variety of cars and trucks for marker lights with housings made of steel. anything else cast in glass was always fitted for the unity lights. Superior just cast flat spots and screwed there lights to them. so that feature is truly a first on anything built by anyone.
this rig is as far as I can see is a top dog company ambulance. so much better then the station wagon and the folding stretcher you see. and who ever built it was a craftsman. from what you can see in the pictures it's right up there with the best of them. I'm betting somewere under that cover up he signed it. if not with a pen it with a construction technique unique to him. just to compare it with some others out there here are three pictures of 3 other lumber company's stuff, all ford also.

I hate thumbnails the center on is a metal plant. remember about this time 60s the government mandated that larger facilities have services in house to transport injured workers. everyone of these were locally converted or built in house because they wee forced to. most plants took the cheap route a few examples of offering of ready built are still around but all have ridiculous low milage. once again showing the need was not really there for the mandate.

Attachments

• 1962 falcon converted by kirby lunber co..jpg
    1962 falcon converted by kirby lunber co..jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 1967 ecoline van.jpg
    1967 ecoline van.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 1974 ford  pulp and talbet factory ambulance.jpg
    1974 ford pulp and talbet factory ambulance.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Fine Tuning...

actually it's a panel truck. but hay that's all splitting hairs. what does intrigue me is the glass top molded for the bus lights. something never seen before or since. we have seen all manner of tail lights used in a wide variety of cars and trucks for marker lights with housings made of steel. anything else cast in glass was always fitted for the unity lights. Superior just cast flat spots and screwed there lights to them.
First of all, Thanks for all of you chiming in. The 'auctions' are in town and we are absolutely buried here. So...no time to answer some of the questions. I am leaving again, right now, but, wanted to give a courtesy answer and observation to some of the comments.
1. At Kurts suggestion, I took pix (post later) of the lenses. They clearly spell out "Superior Coach Corporation, Lima Ohio" and I (cringe) removed the lenses and took pictures of the cans. They are mounted with a flat pod face with a bulb receptacle.
2. The Size, and Pattern of the Miller Sideglass is 'similar' but, does NOT match. This glasspattern comes to an arrow point and the shape is totally different.
3. The TOP of the rear cab is metal. The sides and front 'wraparound' encompassing the lights is what appears to be fiberglass (magnet does not stick). It occupying the side panels as well down to the beltline on the cab.The 'cans' are metal!
4. When I get time, I have the original factory color brochure (not airbrushed pix, Ed) I can send. There is only ONE cab offered. I took pix of the sides of the cab and you can compare to the brochure pix and this cab is much higher.
5. There are holes in the engine bay firewall-no Superior plate. The interior firewall has a metal plate that appears school bus-like worthy with a plexi-glass panel. I had called around Superior parts houses and they said it was installed on School Buses to hold the registration...dashing my hopes of holding the Superior ID. Also have pix -no time to load
6. Steves observation about "PALCO could afford a Cadillac Hi Top Ambulance" is covered in my thread about mountain logging roads. A 6000+ lb. beomoth would bottom out within a mile of transversing such roads. Not to mention have the lights knocked off by low hanging branches. No way Jose.
7. My entry on the Superior Cargo Cruiser had a typo- Superior built those in 1959. Apparently, another 'one-off' displaying their ability and desire to 'experiment' in the same time period with different projects.
8. Seems most are overlooking the fact - this coach carries a one-off motor installation with a "K" code motor. Proven by orig. VIN and title. . Any help on that would be appreciated. Im using the Standard Catalog by Ford and the original factroy brochure. ALL of which only offer the 6cyl and basic V8 as being available. This is the most important clue to the fact- SOMEONE? had clout to get this unit built and it was special. We may never know who but, it is indeed unique.
9. The orig. comment on "Superior never built on a truck chassis" is now being morphed into something different but, I have a volley of brochures showing Superior built for years on a Ford Chassis in Econolines and even on Chevrolet. Buses (1954) and Vans (which IS a truck) .
I have more but, my wifes screaming at me- gotta go to her party. Sorry

magnet dosent stick doesn't mean glass most likely lead. standard practice in the 50s. please post pictures as soon as you can. I'm guess they will be here. http://www.classicdreamcars.com/1957 FORD F-100 'SUPERIOR OPTIONED' AMBULANCE.html

as one has not placed a 47-48 miller glass beside this one it's had to say there dead on or not. the early ones were a different shape but that is truly the miller pattern on that glass trimmed the way they did it in gold leaf. typical late 30 to early 50s treatment with all manufactures. by mid 50 they were all sandblasted.

as you have stated this is a late 57 chassis. the 58 V8 in it would be a standard practice that ford has done for years. the late model end of run rigs would receive the new engine as the older ones were used up. they were all ready going to it it was already in production. standard was the inline 6 that carried over. in the 50s having the V8 ment special order.

yes superior did build on a ford chassis there bus line used the big ford chassis.
all the manufactures were experimenting with vans in the 60s I think I even have a superior picture of a ford pick up with a box on it mid 60s. they did not in any instance built only one and all were offer for sale at all the dealers.

thanks for the info on the ford panels. what I was reading must have been a name for the upper trim level. and as net pictures are famous for getting stuff wrong it's hard to know if your being BS unless you know the body you're researching

can anyone find a instance of superior building a ambulance on a light duty ford chassis in the 50s?

you statment on the use of the ambulance you found out was that they would take the panel out and meet the transfer rig at the side of the road. not that they would run up the logging road with it. as a man living in logging country I understand what this means. the ambulance would go no farther off the gravel road then into the the staging area where they loaded the trucks. the injured worker would be brought out to it anyway they could. the mileage on your truck shows just how few time they actually did this. they used the panel truck or van because it was cheaper not because it was better suited. they would have used a station wagon had it not cost more then the panel. this was not the day of it's not my money so mine is bigger than yours. no one wanted to spend one dime more on anything that did not bring them a prophet. the need for the ambulance was a mandate

a few more straight on shots of the miller glass 47 then 46 and a 57 superior pattern. first other 59 timber company rige I found. of course modified after service by some one

Attachments

• 1959  timber emergencies ambulance.JPG
    1959 timber emergencies ambulance.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 1947 miller.JPG
    1947 miller.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1946 Miller.JPG
    1946 Miller.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 1957 superior (2).JPG
    1957 superior (2).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 99
On The Fly Again...

Thanks Ed- you ARE the Research Master. Now leaving for a car show but, here's some quick answers:
1. Side panels definetely NOT lead-too thin, 'sounds' like fiberglass
2. I will shoot close-ups of side windows..pattern is Sandblasted, Gold Leaf Cross now covered (outside) by clear red vinyl as the gold was flawed. Plans call for Gold Leaf renewal by old-timer. My source for that, passed about 3 years ago
3. Kudo's on engine info. Truck was born June in San Jose. Very poss. a '58 coded motor -however, in my 25 yrs. in classic cars never saw a 'next year' motor offered in a car/truck. Seen lots of TITLES in the next year but, not engines. 1958 Ford did offer a "K" code 292 /181 V8. Buck tag on motor states 190.
4. Logging info came direct from the Ambulance driver who is/was very ill but, still able to help me. He confirmed 'crummies' would bring the victim to a 'landing' point and also said that the Coach had a whip antenna but, it kept getting knocked off or broken. Incidentally, All sources found to date who worked for Palco VFD also told me "Superior" built. However, I continued my research.
5. Thanks Dan Scully: I did actually find the red Ford pictured here but, the last owner was very squirrely and would not give me the buyers name so, I could research the provenance of that coach. Thanks again Ed

Kerry: To complete you due diligence research, you should talk to the actual late owner's (widow and son) of this rig who got it directly from PALCO.... as they are definately NOT "squirrly"... like the BROKER you bought it from... quite the opposite in fact they struck me as being very humble-honest hard working people. Their Father and Husband worked for PALCO his whole life and the Son was born at the company hospital. Until fairly recently in the past few years, they even lived in one of the company houses there. So honest that they truly believed who they were selling it to would (NOT) flip it..... claiming that he was a true Ford collector and ONLY wanted to display it at shows in (WA) State. As you now, their Father had mildly customized it with different wheels that made it look lowered, chromed the bumpers and had it repainted once, but otherwise left alone. Although I am sure they truly needed the money, I think they would be devastated to know the chain of events after it left their home with a hand shake agreement that his representations were taken as true. MM

post pictures when you can. I not getting the sense of direction as to what your referring to as side panels the truck should be a all steel body if a panel was changed to glass there would be a seam. the area surrounding the back quarter glass would be leaded normally in the 57 year. but could be plastic. it would be the only way to put in the flat panel that frenched window. cut the hole weld in the frame and fill the seam standard practice. same with the light pods. superior would have done it the same way in any of there plants.

the "we bought it from superior" you keep getting my be a reference to the superior dealer where they bought the truck. as in we went down to superior and brought the ford new. not where the dealer got the truck to sell them. I guessing calf is not like SD here we could go down and with the vin number find out where the truck was sold new. maybe one of the Ford web sites could do that. I know the poncho boys can. from 60 up. if my guess of how it became a ambulance is correct it would have been sold new by a local ford dealer. if yours is it would have been dropped shipped to one of the superior plants. or purchased at a dealer close to one. all the smaller players shopped locally also that would be a big key if you can find where the truck was sold new from.

we're guessing the superior dealer did not have a ford franchise also. but that would be a possibility not that far fetched. your research on them should have reviled that.

the research is fun but one has to be able to let go and embrace were it takes you. I really thought my 53 was a Economy at first. "very rare" then hoped it was a Barnette, but I'm comfortable with it being a Armbruster. I only know of 2 others that have survived.

Clear Record

MM; Never said the family of the 2nd owner was 'squirrely'. I was referring to the RED coach Dan Scully sent a photo of. That coach I also followed and found it was sold. The individual that sold it refused to pass-on the name of the buyer and/or help me with any information. Better stated would be: he was 'evasive'. However, I understand privacy issues now.
Mike, I worked with the family of the 2nd owner over a period of months and they were wonderful and helpful (also indeed were a little shocked the man I bought the car from just 'curbed it' and never kept it as promised). The only changes made to the exterior were the 2nd owner removed the diamond plate bumpers and put on chrome. Those orig. bumpers are still behind his garage but, too heavy /expensive to ship from CA. to FL. He also put on custom wheels which I removed, after searching all over, and replaced with the HD originals, bead-blasting and powder coating.
If you go to my website you can read the full story, the results of months of searching. It now needs updated with new factoids but, everyone they sent me to in CA. (including the orig,. driver) was very helpful and all stated it was ordered new from Superior in Ohio and purchased through the dealer on the decal. So, I have indeed "gone where the facts lead me".

I assisted Ford Motor Co. in searching for a 66 Mercury Pace Car and I will try to get the time to dig up the contact again and ask if they ever dropped next year's engine in late production vehicles. Like I said, I have been in the car hobby 54 years and in biz 25+ years- never had that happen. Titles YES, Engines NO. The VIN plate and matching title prove it is the engine born to the car. Ed said 'post your website'. I did before I left this morning but, it didn't get published here. Maybe my bad. If you simply go into "1957 Ford 'Superior Optioned' Ambulance" on google, I'm sure it will pop up. Pictures coming- though tom. is another bear.

...4. When I get time, I have the original factory color brochure (not airbrushed pix, Ed) I can send. There is only ONE cab offered. I took pix of the sides of the cab and you can compare to the brochure pix and this cab is much higher.
...9. The orig. comment on "Superior never built on a truck chassis" is now being morphed into something different but, I have a volley of brochures showing Superior built for years on a Ford Chassis in Econolines and even on Chevrolet. Buses (1954) and Vans (which IS a truck) .

I am totally open to seeing and learning about the possibility of Superior having built van ambulances in that era. If you have brochures that show that, please do post them - that would be new information for most of us that we may not be aware of.

That said, we all know of the Superior Ford Econoline van ambulances from 11 years later, so that is not new and not really pertinent to this situation - a lot changed in professional cars and in ambulance service in 11 years. But if you have something showing Ford van ambulances built by Superior in the years immediately before or after your ambulance, that would be something.

I echo Steve's comments. you never stop learning and just as soon as you saw never one shows up, just in case you missed it in post 48 here is that web page with the pictures of the 57 http://www.classicdreamcars.com/1957 FORD F-100 'SUPERIOR OPTIONED' AMBULANCE.html

frustrating not to get the hands on feel of the truck. I will say the use of seat belts in 57 would be as rare as intubation and IV fluids in a ambulance. in 57 taking a B/P was not a normal practice. just a pulse check

I still have trouble getting around the late 40s Miller window right down to the trim.

looking at the dash, it is missing the standard superior switch pod for the lights and siren. I have inclosed one off a 57 combo. as stated parts in hand would be used. superior loved to butcher a hole in the dash to run the wires and cover it with that plastic pod.

I can't find a good picture of the ambulance sign placed in the dash. I can't say if that setup is standard superior or not. here is the only one I can find off a superior in 55 but it's one more detail to check on.

the lack of script is puzzling.

then if as you were told it came out of the ohio plant it would have been built in the lima plant the poncho one was in Mississippi. were the bus plant was I don't know as you said information needs to be changed.

just a matter of the details you label the details you can label the manufacture

Attachments

• 1957 superior combo dash.jpg
    1957 superior combo dash.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 1954 superior pontiac ambulance 1.jpg
    1954 superior pontiac ambulance 1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 124
apologies, 2nd attempt to load pictures

Thanks again for your input. Slammed here again today but I think we have this ready to load. Here are the pix - the description would be as follows:
1. The signature Superior Emergency Lights
2. The 'can' -sans lens showing construction
3. Closeup of the signature lens
4. What 'looks like' the school bus style registration plate from the interior firewall
5. The original Ford Brochure
6. Phoo mof thsi coach displaying difference in just the front cab
7. Rear emergency lights mounted on TOP not side are not Fomoco
8. Photo of side-glass displaying 'arrow point not the same as the Miller Glass. My theory- same sub-contractor but diff. treatment
9. Photo showing professional construction and frame inside
10. Photo for Ed showing where the seam meets between the fiberglass and metal top.
11. Brochure pix gathered up to challenge Ed's ORIGINAL thread stating Superior never made Ambulances on a Ford Chassis". Here's just two early Econoline's which corrected that claim. Also attached are pix of Superior's "Cargo Cruiser" which I maintain displays Superiors willingness to plough new ground just 2 years after this coach was built
The seatbelts were installed later in its life with a flourescent sticker stating they must be worn for safety. There is No dash pod (nor do I see one in the Superior Pontiac pic posted). The ambulance driver for this car told me all the switches were center dash mount and the radio equipment is where we have it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ambulance 1 (2).jpg
    ambulance 1 (2).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 114
  • ambulance 2 (2).jpg
    ambulance 2 (2).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 111
  • ambulance 3 (2).jpg
    ambulance 3 (2).jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 111
more pix

looks like it only accepts a few at a time...

Attachments

• ambulance 4.jpg
    ambulance 4.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 111
  • ambulance 5.jpg
    ambulance 5.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 111
  • ambulance 7.jpg
    ambulance 7.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 112
  • ambulance 8.jpg
    ambulance 8.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 113
some more construction pix

sorry, a few more. Gotta go.check you guys later.

Attachments

• Ambulance 001.jpg
    Ambulance 001.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Ambulance 002.jpg
    Ambulance 002.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Ambulance 004.jpg
    Ambulance 004.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Ambulance 005.jpg
    Ambulance 005.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 110
  • ambulance 1.jpg
    ambulance 1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 110
  • ambulance 2.jpg
    ambulance 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 111
being as it not a interior shot of the 55 pontiac who can tell if it has the pod or not. but if you look hard between the sign and the seat what is that hump. but I was going for the ambulance sign with it.. just like yours is or different scrip?

nice close ups all I seeing is factory ford seams. the steel is folded at a right angle then spot welded and filled with seam sealer.

now the light is interesting. that socket is crimped to the back. think about it for just a second. that outside brass must be grounded for the light to work. it is there for place in steel. I know that because fiberglass doesn't rust. look again at your screw holes. and you can see the seam on the bottom were the lead has been overworked. if that light socket were placed into fiberglass it would not conduct and also would tear out of the fiberglass if you ever changed a bulb. it would appear to me that youre lookin at two pods off a school bus grafted to the factory roof. I can show you how superior grafted there glass cap to the steel body it is not pretty.

they did all their glass in house, no sub contractor there. it would be a waste of money for them to contract out that. all the interiors cabinets and hardware were made in house. or modified in house to work on their application. this was standard across the manufactures.

one thing leaning your way is superior was famous for making their own lights rather than buy them ready made.

as already stated superior did build on the van bodies in the 60's the other pictures are modals that they produced in numbers. they had them out in both lines also. again in more than one ,with surviving pictures and included in their fliers. most are known and have been talked about.

yes it does help, helps a lot thanks for the shots. here is some shots of superiors glass and body marriage. the oldest superior I have worked on is this 63.

this will show your the typical superior fiberglass to steel seam. we have done a few of them all like this. they would cast the panel so that it would roll over the lip and then screw it to the door frame. or they would run it out to the edge and pop rivet it to a strip just inside the drip rail. then cover it with a molding. the next is the light . they used a aluminium casting to hold the socket. then in this case they ran ground wire to one of the mounting screws. in the rear of the car the casting is bolted to the glass top as is the light next to this one on the candle pod. I guarantee that housing you showed is superior only they would do one that cheaply. as you can see the trouble keeping the brass on aluminum. imagon if it was crimped to fiberglass.

one other thing on the side glass why would that be the only superior with trim around that window in the 50s? sorry I do not have any shap pictures of millers glass but you can still see the points in my pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0845 a lot of water hs been at work herea.jpg
    IMG_0845 a lot of water hs been at work herea.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6188 it's a rosen base so it should do wella.jpg
    IMG_6188 it's a rosen base so it should do wella.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_12192 it wount go over the lipa.jpg
    IMG_12192 it wount go over the lipa.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
three more questions. the yellow tag under the speedometer says what? other then caution. I could not blow it up.

the brown looking tag under the glove box says what?

the crown on the passengers door? I could not find a image of another 57 ford interior that was not customised and the shot of it can't be enlarged to see it. it's either a superior crown or the ford custom cab tag.

shame when they did the repaint they did not keep the ford white rather then put the GM white on it. but those things were not under your control.

one nice truck at first look it still reminds me of the seabert at Gold Cross in Rochester.

Attachments

• 1957 ford dash.JPG
    1957 ford dash.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 1957 cab.JPG
    1957 cab.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 1957 ford right door.JPG
    1957 ford right door.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 167
Back